Jump to content
DurhamGirl

Why is everything so top secret with Guns?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

Is "Top Secret" like the real "Chinese Democracy"........

Axl is like Chuck Barris, Guns is merely a side hustle to his covert work for the C.I.A.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will never understand why it's OK for Fernando to give a six month time frame for an album release, but it's not his place to tell us whether the album is done or not.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axl Rose, that’s the reason. For many years I thought ‘well, he had a hard time releasing CD maybe he just wants to have fun and tour’ which makes lot of sense. But at this point I don’t know if even slash or duff are having fun. I saw slash last year with the conspirators in Buenos Aires and he seems to enjoy more his own shows than GNR shows. And at this point I don’t see GNR as a band, as a family (like RHCP, or foo fighters). GNR nowadays look like a bunch of people who gather a couple of times a year and play around the world. I might be wrong, but that’s how I see it. 
 

remember back in 2012 with the Vegas dvd? I remember asking bumblefoot personally what was going on and even he had no idea. Axl controls everything and it’s all on his hands and his own will to release something. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said before, it is as if Guns have been delegated to some disinterested corporate third party. Everything, from the fan site to the social media interaction, is really impersonal and directed towards acquiring money. It is rather hard to describe but you know it when you see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guns N' Roses are actually Aliens from Outer Space and  the government is required to keep the Illusion up.

 

Real Answer

I don't know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this forum is very negative at all. I think what does seem to be on the rise is posters unwilling to just repeat the same topics without anything new to talk about. I mean it's nearly 12 years since CD came out and it wasn't a bad album in all fairness but there was no follow through at the time. I mean for all his faults perceived or real about axl, the number of albums albeit not massive show that he is ridiculously talented and surely to Christ that can't have vanished completely in the 21st century. 

 

It is is becoming more difficult to care about the band and I do think the fact most of us say slash, duff, and axl back on stage together may have raised expectations unnaturally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, James Bond said:

The Guns N' Roses social media presence is akin to those targeted ads everyone gets for bootleg t-shirts with badly photoshopped pictures of the artists holding them, only with Guns N' Roses the posts are legit. :lol:

GN'R's social media presence reminds me of this Simpson's joke (''Mr Black''),

Haha.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

GN'R's social media presence reminds me of this Simpson's joke (''Mr Black''),

Haha.

This is perfect .... Especially that last bit "Looks like we got ourselves a trouble maker" (That's all of the unauthorized concert footage posted on YT) .... Unfortunately the joke's on us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 4:20 PM, DarkLotus1111 said:

Because it's top secret. 

 

I would love to see a South Park episode revolving the CD vault. Hahaha 

As high profile as Guns N' Roses are and having priceless material found in a storage unit somewhere - I don't believe it's uncommon.

Off the top of my head, the Hank Williams radio program I believe was found by accident, the Who had priceless video recording nearly end up in the trash, the crown jewel of Grateful Dead live records was auctioned off in a storage unit foreclosure - not to mention the Universal Fire that might have destroy priceless recordings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

They think it's still cool to keep this air of mystery around the band and it's happenings.

Right, I think even Duff mentioned this in an interview when asked about it -  mentioning how back in the day bands had a mystique to them that seemed cool

 

This difference is, the bands who were mysterious and cool because of that, it was mostly about their personal life they didn't reveal much about - the cool mysterious bands still released material and told people about it :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Right, I think even Duff mentioned this in an interview when asked about it -  mentioning how back in the day bands had a mystique to them that seemed cool

 

This difference is, the bands who were mysterious and cool because of that, it was mostly about their personal life they didn't reveal much about - the cool mysterious bands still released material and told people about it :lol:

It worked back then but not so much now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

It worked back then but not so much now.

Agree it may have worked before the internet now the air of mystique just looks stupid. Now bands are taking advantage of the internet with upto date website, paid membership, streaming and in turn making them more fan friendly. Its called a business model and a word GNR are struggling to put together.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree it may have worked before the internet now the air of mystique just looks stupid. Now bands are taking advantage of the internet with upto date website, paid membership, streaming and in turn making them more fan friendly. Its called a business model and a word GNR are struggling to put together.

Out of likes but yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, James Bond said:

The Guns N' Roses social media presence is akin to those targeted ads everyone gets for bootleg t-shirts with badly photoshopped pictures of the artists holding them, only with Guns N' Roses the posts are legit. :lol:

I actually bought one of those a few weeks ago. It cost about 12 quid inc postage.

I had low expectations but it's actually really nice.

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Because there's nothing going on. The whole "mystique" thing is just a pretense.

Bands display their art because it's what they love to do and are inspired to do so. GN'R is just a corporate machine. Soulless. Greedy. Unimaginative. Dull. 

Many bands still do music videos with no chance of them ever being played on MTV or VH1 or wherever. Beacuse they want to show their art. They communicate with the fanbase, give out interviews, release studio and live work. Some of them even with more than one band at a time.

Bands still release tons of music and CD's despite selling a fraction of they used to. NIN is giving out music for free. Rolling Stones recorded a new song during the covid-19 epidemics after a 50+ year career. Because they're musicians and this is that they do.

So many bands continue to create their art and are eager to give fans something to be excited about. Not because they "owe" them but because they want to. GN'R don't want to do shit. They just want you to pay for memberships, concert tickets and overpriced cringy merchandise. Otherwise you can sod off.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Because there's nothing going on. The whole "mystique" thing is just a pretense.

Bands display their art because it's what they love to do and are inspired to do so. GN'R is just a corporate machine. Soulless. Greedy. Unimaginative. Dull. 

Many bands still do music videos with no chance of them ever being played on MTV or VH1 or wherever. Beacuse they want to show their art. They communicate with the fanbase, give out interviews, release studio and live work. Some of them even with more than one band at a time.

Bands still release tons of music and CD's despite selling a fraction of they used to. NIN is giving out music for free. Rolling Stones recorded a new song during the covid-19 epidemics after a 50+ year career. Because they're musicians and this is that they do.

So many bands continue to create their art and are eager to give fans something to be excited about. Not because they "owe" them but because they want to. GN'R don't want to do shit. They just want you to pay for memberships, concert tickets and overpriced cringy merchandise. Otherwise you can sod off.

It's Axl's version of Gn'R now though. The way this band operates reflects Axl's preferences imo. Slash, Duff, the rest of the lineup(s) and even TB are not responsible for the lack of releases, the secrecy, and inner circle rules in general imo. It's probably just Axl and the record company for the most part. Tbh, if Axl's goal is not to satisfy us fans but instead to release his music only on his terms, for himself, then that's too bad but I don't believe it's cause he only cares about the money.

Could have reunited years ago if that was true and would have released a lot more music when it still made a lot of money. Forgive Slash real quick in like 1997 or 1998 to preserve your lavish lifestyle at all cost. Problem solved for artists that don't care about quality.

I buy the whole perfectionist thing cause it's the best explanation I can think of for his artistic approach and I really get the feeling he doesn't want to release a dud of a record, no matter what.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×