RAR 2006 - When the stars aligned

24 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

'01/'02 & '06/'07 looks and feels more fresh to me than any era after that.

I think 01/02 was good but it lacked the Axl we've come to know and love. Not even just vocals but the whole package. I'm not surprised 02 was cut short, he didn't seem ready.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

I think 01/02 was good but it lacked the Axl we've come to know and love. Not even just vocals but the whole package. I'm not surprised 02 was cut short, he didn't seem ready.

The 2002 tour could have been great with an actual album to promote. Also, that was the last chance to hear the new songs without Bumble and Frank. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sosso said:

The 2002 tour could have been great with an actual album to promote. Also, that was the last chance to hear the new songs without Bumble and Frank. 

Maybe. I just think album or not Axl didn't seem ready to take on the task of fronting guns in the limelight again. It would have been great to see Bucket stick around for the 06 run but you can't blame him for leaving.

This is one of the best shows Axl has ever put on for sure. There used to be an entire version of the show on YouTube from the audience in great quality. Had the part where Axl rips Dizzy and tells him to restart Madagascar. Wish I could find that again.

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

This is one of the best shows Axl has ever put on for sure. There used to be an entire version of the show on YouTube from the audience in great quality. Had the part where Axl rips Dizzy and tells him to restart Madagascar. Wish I could find that again.

I believe I have that version on my laptop. I will have to take a look.

I seem to remember a few shows Madagascar had to be restarted, as well as in the leaked 2009 rehearsal. I may be wrong...

8 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

What dis Dizzy do?

And I don't think Madagascar was omitted from the proshot because of the fuckup, it was likely because of the Martin Luther King/film quotes - I remember the web broadcasts in 2012 muted them for licensing reasons

Out Ta Get Me was the only other song missing from the broadcast for unexplained reasons

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 1

In hindsight, 2006 would have been the perfect time for a reunion. Axl was on top of his game, Slash and Duff had their chemistry back after playing together in VR for a few years, and Izzy was willing to play out in public. The only outcast would have been Steven because he was still struggling with addiction at that time, but Sorum could have easily stepped in. It's a shame it didn't happen. Would have been great. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AxlIsGod. said:

Maybe but the thread is about the culmination of everything, including the proshot (almost) full show, the mixing and sound etc. I think compared to RIR06 and Inland Invasion, RAR is a cut above for performance and equally importantly, mixing and sound quality.

Yeah, I agree. I wasn’t trying to be an asshole and belittle RAR.

I used to have all bootlegs from 2001-2010 on my old laptop and it’s a shame we can’t have more soundboards from 2006 tour. 

But, if I could choose top 10 shows from 2006 tour, RAR definitely wouldn’t be one of them. 

Edited by ChrisMaciel
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

And I don't think Madagascar was omitted from the proshot because of the fuckup, it was likely because of the Martin Luther King/film quotes - I remember the web broadcasts in 2012 muted them for licensing reasons

Out Ta Get Me was the only other song missing from the broadcast for unexplained reasons

OTGM from the show was ace - no idea why it was chopped?

8 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

Has no-one ever tried to create a full show using the audience footage for the chopped songs and them to the broadcast footage?

Sounds like a @FRANSAD project - if Fran hasn’t done already?

On 5/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, WhazUp said:

It is funny how in retrospect 2006 was one of the stronger years for Axl but at the time, however it took 2011-now to realize it.  I remember during that actual era of GNR, Axl was still getting a lot of "he sounds weird now" comments, and I think that a lot of it was probably just that he mixed his clean voice into things then still, and we didn't know then just how much "Mickey" would take over lol

This gig is one of Axl's strongest - Nightrain for example I would say vocally rivals even the strongest of his 90s renditions of it.  

I think we did though.

Prior to 2006 we had a lot of Micky, eg. 2002 tour dates.

2006 weren't ppl saying that Bach had recommended him a vocal coach or something along those lines?

On 5/23/2020 at 8:24 PM, Gunner927 said:

2006 to me feels like the last time it was watching Axl be Axl. He looked great, the band sounded great, and he was mixing the rasp with the incredible screams from '02. And it seemed like Chinese was actually imminent. He was also more outgoing and accessible publicly it seemed - actually doing something like the Trunk interview, the occasional public appearance, etc.

Not to disparage 2010, because his energy, and obviously, vocals were still there - but in 2006 he still had such a cool rockstar aura around him.

Getting some good 2006 footage put up on Youtube would be godly, especially the Gibson Amphitheatre shows like already mentioned.

You’re right! First and last time time he successfully reinvented himself!

At last some appreciation for RAR 2006. Probably my fav show/pro shot of the post 2000 era.

When people ask for Houston 2016 or some 2010 release i dont get it (as far as Axl's performance is concerned). 2006 was so much better than any of this in my opinion. That Jungle scream... A 1080 HD version of the show would be great.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:41 PM, LikeADog93 said:

In hindsight, 2006 would have been the perfect time for a reunion. Axl was on top of his game, Slash and Duff had their chemistry back after playing together in VR for a few years, and Izzy was willing to play out in public. The only outcast would have been Steven because he was still struggling with addiction at that time, but Sorum could have easily stepped in. It's a shame it didn't happen. Would have been great. 

Totally true.  If only Axl had actually let Slash into his house that night.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:52 PM, History2010 said:

Personally I would happily give both VR and CD up for an 2006-era album by the big three. Izzy was around back then so they could've gotten him in the mix and they might have got Sourm or Adler in there as well. It was a giant missed opportunity that they didn't do it. 

They would’ve been a band touring on nostalgia for 14yrs and counting.

no CD, contraband, Libertad, Slash, SMKC 

No new music whatsoever. Years reworking CD era songs. Izzy would’ve checked out after half a day

8 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

They would’ve been a band touring on nostalgia for 14yrs and counting.

no CD, contraband, Libertad, Slash, SMKC 

No new music whatsoever. Years reworking CD era songs. Izzy would’ve checked out after half a day

Well, Contraband was released in 2004. Libertad is eh. SMKC is... okay (and likely still could've happened on the side, just like it is right now).

CD probably would've gotten pushed out by the end of '06, and at the end of the day, the chances for new music after Chinese certainly couldn't be worse than they are now - especially since a reunion would have probably made things with UMG more favorable.

Given the two options, I would've probably preferred the '06 lineup (w/ Brain, not Frank) to stick together and see how it would've panned out), but all in all I don't think a 2006 reunion really puts them in any worse of a situation than things have been with the stagnation.