Live playing energy

Came across a live recording of Gilby Clarke performing Knocking on Heavens Door live, tho not outstanding the energy seemed far beyond what we get from GnR the crowd are bouncing at the end ! It just seems more energetic.

Live performances now seem to sap all the energy out of them, anyone get what I'm getting at?

26 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Came across a live recording of Gilby Clarke performing Knocking on Heavens Door live, tho not outstanding the energy seemed far beyond what we get from GnR the crowd are bouncing at the end ! It just seems more energetic.

Live performances now seem to sap all the energy out of them, anyone get what I'm getting at?

To me theres 2 people that are mostly to blame for the lack of energy.

Firstly Frank drains the life out of nearly every song. I hate his style, tone, and fills. Give me josh, adler or sorum any day.

Secondly Axls voice if his not putting in effort and dialing it in or going full mickey.

If they didnt have slash I would not bother tuning in to follow the band anymore. 

Edited by vloors
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Yes I think Knockn On Heavans Door has been done to death by GNR that the crowd just go through the motions. Nothing will top the 90's performances. Maybe it's time to drop it or just play it alternative shows. 

I'd prefer Dead Horse any day. The crowd can sing along to the intro/outro

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vloors said:

To me theres 2 people that are mostly to blame for the lack of energy.

Firstly Frank drains the life out of nearly every song. I hate his style, tone, and fills. Give me josh, adler or sorum any day.

Secondly Axls voice if his not putting in effort and dialing it in or going full mickey.

If they didnt have slash I would not bother tuning in to follow the band anymore. 

Yes, I think you're right, but slash as he is now isn't giving off much either, the noodling isn't helping ....

16 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Yes I think Knockn On Heavans Door has been done to death by GNR that the crowd just go through the motions. Nothing will top the 90's performances. Maybe it's time to drop it or just play it alternative shows. 

Big disagree there, imo

KOHD remains one of the highlights of the set and everyone I know that see's them live praised it. Also one of Axl's best vocals.

Now would it be cool to switch it up a bit (acoustic like in 93?) sure. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Genuinely don't get the Frank hate.

32 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Big disagree there, imo

KOHD remains one of the highlights of the set and everyone I know that see's them live praised it. Also one of Axl's best vocals.

Now would it be cool to switch it up a bit (acoustic like in 93?) sure. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

My full quote said I'd prefer Dead Horse! Do you and your friends like that song? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, WildStar said:

My full quote said I'd prefer Dead Horse! Do you and your friends like that song? 

Yeah Dead Horse rocks but I wouldn't swap KOHD for it.

I'd probably swap out another 'fast' song for it so more likely ISO, maybe even Rocket Queen.

Also Axl should start playing the acoustic at the start and end, such and easy moment that makes fans happy.

The reasons for lack of energy, imo, are

- click drums and Frank's style in general. He's as solid a drummer as Richard's a solid guitarist and but they just don't seem to get "it" - nowhere near the Zeppelin-ish tight but lose feel of Adler and Izzy. The drums/rhythm section is the biggest issue in the current sound, most songs are played way too fast, not letting the songs (or Axl) breathe

- Axl lacking motivation and dialing it in for 90% of the show - while 2016 and his gigs with AC/DC show he can still sing like a motherfucker

- playing the same songs in more or less the exact same order the exact same way night after night. I get it, it's a big "show" production, but what about improvisations, fuckups, rants, something special, something alive and real? This is not a rock concert it's a museum.

- Slash being a lazy and self indulgent poser, noodling and going through the motions, even far less skilled DJ Ashba had more heart, soul and effort in his playing than Slash today - and I absolutely despise DJ, but that's the damn truth

• Like 3

There's no energy as they know why they're doing it and people $eem to buy it. Also rhythm section is really bad and even Duff isn't helping much. It's nice to hear some deepcuts like Coma or Locomotive, early in 2016 hearing Wish You Were Here by Slash and Fortus was refreshing aswell (among other "new" things). Four years later though... Considering Slash, compared to how he looks onstage with SMKC, he must be choking in GNR. Environment is 180 degree different there. I believe there's a reason Slash called Living The Dream tour as the best SMKC ever did, probably because how he felt in the band, playing his own material for people who would come to see SMKC, not just him playing covers of his older bands.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

Big disagree there, imo

I don't hate Frank either, seems solid and a nice guy, just wish his sound had a bit more bounce

Has anyone seen the gilby video?

3 hours ago, Brownstone drum said:

I wouldn't really say it's more energetic but it feels like a close moment between the band and audience.

The NITL tour is very maximal and goes with a 'shock and awe' approach. But it feels like the set would benefit from some more 'skin n bones' style

44 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

There's no energy as they know why they're doing it and people $eem to buy it. Also rhythm section is really bad and even Duff isn't helping much. It's nice to hear some deepcuts like Coma or Locomotive, early in 2016 hearing Wish You Were Here by Slash and Fortus was refreshing aswell (among other "new" things). Four years later though... Considering Slash, compared to how he looks onstage with SMKC, he must be choking in GNR. Environment is 180 degree different there. I believe there's a reason Slash called Living The Dream tour as the best SMKC ever did, probably because how he felt in the band, playing his own material for people who would come to see SMKC, not just him playing covers of his older bands.

I'd disagree with most of this comment really.

The NITL performances sure as hell are not 'low energy' and seems churlish to say otherwise.

I do like SMKC for what they are but people hype them a lil too much. Their performances are tight but unimaginative and their band gives off a 'horns in the air' vibe.

Although I do think Slash and Myles are the perfect match for a 'side project' for each other as they are both so chill and talented enough to put out good music.

Also shouldn't people STOP posting youtube videos?

Edited by GNR_RNR
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

I think you meant to say "nothing will top the '87-88 performances.

Freddie Mercury 1992 was the best for me. 

Unless some other tit wants to try and change my mind. Anyone think Bob Dylan version was the best? 

Never understood some people's attitude towards Fortus. Theres nothing wrong with his playing that I've seen or heard. He's an outstanding guitarist. 

Both times Ive seen GNR Ive stood at the front, just off centre on his side of the stage and he puts on one heck of a performance. 

I get that he isn't izzy. But Izzy isn't there and I 100% prefer to have Fortus over Gilby. 

Like the return of Duff, I'm glad he is there but at the same time I miss Tommy. Tommy and Fortus have both put a lot into their time with GNR and I think they more than earned their place in the band. 

• Like 2

lol at people who think "slash adds energy" to this shitshow. He clearly plays their 30-or-so old songs not giving a single fuck. On CD songs he explicitly just random noodles his chords carelessly. 
Axl being in a bad vocal shape + slash not giving a fuck + duff (i couldn't find words atm to criticize him mb, just woke up, nonetheless wouldn't make any diff for me if it was Stinson on bass) obviously will provide a lacking energy shitshow. The other random guys on stage manage to only make it worse. It is simple as that.

Disclaimer: I like and appreciate Fortus, though. Izzy didn't deserve an "equal split loot" anyways imho.

Edited by ezosk

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

- Slash being a lazy and self indulgent poser, noodling and going through the motions, even far less skilled DJ Ashba had more heart, soul and effort in his playing than Slash today - and I absolutely despise DJ, but that's the damn truth

Damn I hate to say this, but you’re damn right.

Ive been saying this for a while...I give Axl more credit than Slash, just because a guitar will always sound the same if you want to, Axl has to deal with age, health, etc.

I think Ashba and Finck sound much Slashier than Slash himself...he is just noodling and noodling, and missing notes in an incredibly frustrating way...

Axl may lack practising or maybe not, who knows but this is like...I play rugby and Im 34 years old, I wont reach my 20’s physical level again...I think the same goes to Axl and his voice

Edited by Alejandro GNR
  • Like 2

Frank lacks the power and groove that "fits" gnr. He's great on the Chinese stuff and isn't that bad of a drummer, but he sticks out like a sore thumb in this lineup. I think (at least in my mind), I'd like him more if he played some of the tom fills the same way. November rain intro comes to mind right away. Some things just aren't meant to be changed!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Damn I hate to say this, but you’re damn right.

Ive been saying this for a while...I give Axl more credit than Slash, just because a guitar will always sound the same if you want to, Axl has to deal with age, health, etc.

I think Ashba and Finck sound much Slashier than Slash himself...he is just noodling and noodling, and missing notes in an incredibly frustrating way...

Axl may lack practising or maybe not, who knows but this is like...I play rugby and Im 34 years old, I wont reach my 20’s physical level again...I think the same goes to Axl and his voice

Totally agree with this, then you see him playing with Myles and he's 100 times better. Even slash's solo spot in the GNR set he seems to noodle, but kicks it up a notch. It's almost like he's trying to distract people from Axl and doing too much. Again like Frank, sometimes more is less

20 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Frank lacks the power and groove that "fits" gnr. He's great on the Chinese stuff and isn't that bad of a drummer, but he sticks out like a sore thumb in this lineup. I think (at least in my mind), I'd like him more if he played some of the tom fills the same way. November rain intro comes to mind right away. Some things just aren't meant to be changed!

I don't agree  in the. slightest. You dont like him becuase he is the drummer and not Adler or Sorum

The only people who matter sre Slash Duff 4tus and Axl. 4tus as been playing with Fank since the 90s. Axl since 2006. If they had a problem something would have been done.

People still defend Adler even after he said he wanted to push Frank down the stairs.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, WildStar said:

I'd prefer Dead Horse any day. The crowd can sing along to the intro/outro

KOHD was great when they made it their own song and it still could be. The version now  is just boring and way too long. Axl doesn't sound good and no need for all the Fortus soloing. Just the regular Slash leads and a a little extended solo in the middle would do the trick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1