Live playing energy

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Can one of the smart people out there please crop DTJ from the other 2 songs and upload that shit to youtube? It would be greatly appreciated. Say what you want but Slash kicks ass on that one...

In the meantime some random 2019 live performance of Enter Sandman came on as I finished watching DTJ... Makes the "Selects" look I recorded them with my asshole.....

And now Slash "Mosh Cam" Rocket Queen just came on random.. Again making "the selects" look sphincter born...

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Yeah when people use the "Tempo" "Grove" "fills" and china complaints I say to myself

When did Lars Ulrich become the drummer for Guns N Roses?

Lars from 1990-2003 was a beast! But I know what you're on about!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vloors said:

Firstly Frank drains the life out of nearly every song. I hate his style, tone, and fills. 

Agreed. The drummer is the heartbeat of any band. Frank (great guy) completely guts this band. But he agrees with Axl, keeps his mouth shut, is happy to have a job, so he’s there. Pretty much he’s the Gilby Clarke of NITL Guns. Only difference is Gilby is a better all around musician.  

• Like 3

I still like the show Gn'R put on, it still works for me but some things that I think will improve it substantially in the energy department:

1. Axl prepares to a Gn'R show like it was an AC/DC show, actually going to rehearsals on a regular basis (probably never going to happen)

2. the band releases a new album and change the setlist in a meaningful way so it feels fresh for the band and the crowd while still taking Axl's physical limitations into account while picking the tunes and the order they play their picks

3. more Axl interaction with the crowd. Doesn't have to be a rant, just to make it feel a little more personal

4. a leaner show with more varied solo spots cause you gotta have them so Axl can rest between songs but the bloated KOHD version comes to mind.

* I feel like Slash still carries the show even if he does overplay some of the time. I remember his solo spot from not too long ago where there was an official live feed or something and it was outstanding, so he still got it imo. Maybe just lost inspiration from lack of new shit to play.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

* I feel like Slash still carries the show even if he does overplay some of the time. I remember his solo spot from not too long ago where there was an official live feed or something and it was outstanding, so he still got it imo. Maybe just lost inspiration from lack of new shit to play.

Yeah that blues solo spot that surfaced in the fall I think? That was amazing.

I feel like maybe he was crying about the band dynamic through song. I almost teared up. 

Edited by Ant

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I still like the show Gn'R put on, it still works for me but some things that I think will improve it substantially in the energy department:

1. Axl prepares to a Gn'R show like it was an AC/DC show, actually going to rehearsals on a regular basis (probably never going to happen)

2. the band releases a new album and change the setlist in a meaningful way so it feels fresh for the band and the crowd while still taking Axl's physical limitations into account while picking the tunes and the order they play their picks

3. more Axl interaction with the crowd. Doesn't have to be a rant, just to make it feel a little more personal

4. a leaner show with more varied solo spots cause you gotta have them so Axl can rest between songs but the bloated KOHD version comes to mind.

Yeah, they don't seem to connect with the crowd, to think we all wanted a reunion now we have this!

19 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

There's no energy as they know why they're doing it and people $eem to buy it. Also rhythm section is really bad and even Duff isn't helping much. It's nice to hear some deepcuts like Coma or Locomotive, early in 2016 hearing Wish You Were Here by Slash and Fortus was refreshing aswell (among other "new" things). Four years later though... Considering Slash, compared to how he looks onstage with SMKC, he must be choking in GNR. Environment is 180 degree different there. I believe there's a reason Slash called Living The Dream tour as the best SMKC ever did, probably because how he felt in the band, playing his own material for people who would come to see SMKC, not just him playing covers of his older bands.

For sure. If you watch any videos from the last SMKC tour you can tell that they have great chemistry and they're all having a great time on stage. No one is phoning it in or otherwise noodling about.

13 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I don't like him because his drums (sound wise) and fills don't mix. I actually would prefer Brain or Brent Fitz if it couldn't be Adler or Sorum. And I know I won't see Adler full time or Sorum full time so that doesn't really apply to me. I'm a drummer myself and I don't like Frank due to his drumming style in the band. His snare doesn't fit, he over uses the china cymbal, and his cymbal sounds just don't work in most songs. As mentioned before, he doesn't play the November Rain tom fill correct and that pisses me off most. 

Many people would argue the only people that matter are Axl and Slash. People didn't show up just to see Duff when he was back in 2014. Slash and axl being back draws the crowd. People don't even know who 4tus is, they think he's izzy. 4tus also joined the band in 2002, not 2006. They did do something about it, Frank was taking drum lessons after the last leg of the Tour. 

I don't care who the drummer is as long as he fits. Frank is a decent drummer, but he doesn't have the groove or power. Brain and Brent are a perfect combo of this. 

I don't care much for Brain but I agree with the rest of your post. I'm a drummer also and Frank not playing certain fills and parts the way that they are on the record irritates me too. It's not that hard to play most of this stuff but you can tell that he's just doing his own thing instead of playing what the correct parts are. This is a reunion tour for a huge band, it's pretty important in this situation. I've gotten used to most of it by now but when you go back and hear an old UYI recording of YCBM or whatever you can really hear the difference. Even stuff like Coma, it's a completely different story with Matt on the drums.

11 hours ago, Mendez said:

I for one never liked Gilby Clark's onstage moves. Coupled with the fact that he didnt play YCBMs main riff correctly, or most (if any) of Izzy's parts correctly.

I also didn't like his rhythm guitar for Beggars and Hamgers On, and although his riff for "Good to Be Alive" was a pretty cool standard rock n roll riff, albiet in a descending chromatic which is unique for a blues based riff, Slash elevated his riff

At least Fortus actually bothered to learn Izzy's parts

11 hours ago, James Bond said:

Gilby admitted that he had so little time to learn the songs that he accidentally learned Slash's rhythm parts to most of the songs and didn't realize it until they hit rehearsal. If memory serves me correctly there was only about two weeks between his joining the band and his first show with them.

Similar thing happened with Bumblefoot who improvised his way through the songs in 2006/2007 but by the time 2009 rolled around he had gone back and learned them more faithfully.

Yes that's what happened, he only had about a week or so to learn the set then he had to learn stuff on the road, plus I think he's said before that on the record it's mostly Slash that you're hearing so that's what he learned. I'm sure if he had more time and all that he would've learned Izzy's parts correctly. Since snakepit was brought up, I really liked his playing on that record, fits right in with Slash imo.

7 hours ago, LikeADog93 said:

I think the main reason is because Slash seems to be just going through the motions with GNR. It's pretty obvious to me at least that he puts a lot more effort and soul into his performances with the Conspirators. Understandable though, I would get tired of playing the same exact set every night that's full of songs that are 30 or so years old. Slash seems to enjoy smaller, more intimate venues and the excitement of playing new material seems to override the enjoyment of playing songs that he's played millions of times over the years. And it's those reasons why he seems to prefer playing with Myles and company over the current GNR lineup. 

I agree, and to him I'm sure he views SMKC more as a real band as opposed to some guys plus some other hired guys (and girl). Even when NITL was going on he was looking forward to getting back together with them to finish up what became LTD and touring it.

• Like 2

I think the way they arrange the setlist plays also a role in the lack of energy... From ISE to DTJ, I always think they have an incredible energy then they slow it down a bit... The part with Wichita, Wish you were here, NR and KOHD back to back is just dragging... 1 instrumental, one 10 minute ballad and one song stretched to sometimes 13 minutes with a long instrumental part in the middle.. That takes away the energy

Otherwise I think 4tus and Slash do have a good chemistry, even though not as good as Slash and Sidoris.. 

It's sad that (imo) SMKCs Studio work is (mostly) generic, because they are an awesome live band with great chemistry and enjoy playing

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't care much for Brain but I agree with the rest of your post. I'm a drummer also and Frank not playing certain fills and parts the way that they are on the record irritates me too. It's not that hard to play most of this stuff but you can tell that he's just doing his own thing instead of playing what the correct parts are. This is a reunion tour for a huge band, it's pretty important in this situation.

There are no correct parts lmao its called having your own style. HAHAHAHA

13 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Agreed. The drummer is the heartbeat of any band. Frank (great guy) completely guts this band. But he agrees with Axl, keeps his mouth shut, is happy to have a job, so he’s there. Pretty much he’s the Gilby Clarke of NITL Guns. Only difference is Gilby is a better all around musician.  

ehhh being a drummer  requires a very different set of skills then a guitar player. It's a lot harder to be a drummer then a guitar palyer.

This Frank hate didn't start till Adler got kicked to the curb in 2016 so people are  just complaning and making excuses for that.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

On 5/24/2020 at 5:38 AM, Brownstone drum said:

Came across a live recording of Gilby Clarke performing Knocking on Heavens Door live, tho not outstanding the energy seemed far beyond what we get from GnR the crowd are bouncing at the end ! It just seems more energetic.

Live performances now seem to sap all the energy out of them, anyone get what I'm getting at?

They’re just a very boring band. How could the band get excited to play the same exact fucking setlist, night in, night out for YEARS? I honestly don’t see how anyone gets excited for a gnr concert these days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

They’re just a very boring band. How could the band get excited to play the same exact fucking setlist, night in, night out for YEARS? I honestly don’t see how anyone gets excited for a gnr concert these days. 

I'm sure if they interacted with the crowd more it may improve things?

Is it partly arrogance?

2 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

This Frank hate didn't start till Adler got kicked to the curb in 2016 so people are  just complaning and making excuses for that.

to be fair there are a shitload of people that weren't even paying attention to this band prior to 2016... so there is that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

I still say that people greatly exaggerate the exact same set list every show narrative.  I have seen them 3 times this tour and each set was different with songs I hadn't seen the previous shows. The last show I saw had a 13 song swing from my prior one with 7 songs played that I hadn't seen them do at all the prior two shows. And while their last few shows were spread out they added songs like You're Crazy, Dead Horse and Locomotive!! I haven't seen any of those or Slither and SOYL yet and I caught 3 shows. 

A lot of bands literally play the same exact set night after night for entire tour.. Guns just don't.. I think they do a good job with the set but they could certainly mix up the order a little bit. They actually did make a couple small tweaks in the order last show.  

It would also be nice to maybe mix up the opening and closing songs but other than that, if people weren't reading the set list online every night it would be a non issue. Aside from maybe the song order I would almost argue that the set lists changed even less as far as what songs were played every night back in their heyday. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

to be fair there are a shitload of people that weren't even paying attention to this band prior to 2016... so there is that

Like me, I didn't know anything about Frank until the reunion happened. As soon as I saw some of the videos from the troubadour show I knew I wasn't going to like it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Like me, I didn't know anything about Frank until the reunion happened. As soon as I saw some of the videos from the troubadour show I knew I wasn't going to like it.

Watch 02 Arena 2012/ Osaka 09 and A4D and you will change your mind

56 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Exactly my point

On 24.5.2020 at 2:11 PM, adamsapple said:

Slash being a lazy and self indulgent poser, noodling and going through the motions, even far less skilled DJ Ashba had more heart, soul and effort in his playing than Slash today - and I absolutely despise DJ, but that's the damn truth

Are you kidding me? Slash still carries the show.

He isn't a rebellious kid in his 20's anymore, high on drugs and booze. But he still fucking rocks.

Of course his playing has changed a bit over the years but he's still recognizable immediately  with every single note he plays. Just because he's still Slash.

No heart, no soul, no effort? I laugh my fucking ass off. No other guitarist comes even close to what he does when it comes to GNR songs. No effort :wow: :lol:? Have you even watch him play in recent years? He gives everything. He's sweating, slavering... he's all in.

DJ Ashba? That's trolling at its finest, dude.

Biggest issue with GNR is Axl. His voice is gone, and his energy on stage is gone. I'd still choose him over Myles but in the current bsnd he's the weakest link. That's the truth. And it's only him preventing us from new GNR music. No need to look for other excuses.

Edit: Ok, fuck it. Probably your disappointment with the current situation is that big, that you aren't trolling. Probably it's your opinion and obviously my post won't change it. Ok. Whoever wants to believe this claims, and it seems you aren't the only one with this opinion, will do it anyway. 

I enjoyed the gigs I've been to and I fucking enjoy this little video they uploaded. I hope theres more to come and I still hope we're getting some new music in the future.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

To be honest, I think the band are fairly solid and put on an awesome show. I do think the set list should be mixed up more to keep it fresh. 

And the band lack a little chemistry at times, as you’d expect with a hybrid band. But it’s Axls vocals that are most disappointing. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yup. Like me. I literally only joined the forum in 2016 because of Slash 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I still say that people greatly exaggerate the exact same set list every show narrative.  I have seen them 3 times this tour and each set was different with songs I hadn't seen the previous shows. The last show I saw had a 13 song swing from my prior one with 7 songs played that I hadn't seen them do at all the prior two shows. And while their last few shows were spread out they added songs like You're Crazy, Dead Horse and Locomotive!! I haven't seen any of those or Slither and SOYL yet and I caught 3 shows. 

A lot of bands literally play the same exact set night after night for entire tour.. Guns just don't.. I think they do a good job with the set but they could certainly mix up the order a little bit. They actually did make a couple small tweaks in the order last show.  

It would also be nice to maybe mix up the opening and closing songs but other than that, if people weren't reading the set list online every night it would be a non issue. Aside from maybe the song order I would almost argue that the set lists changed even less as far as what songs were played every night back in their heyday. 

Inagree that the set list complaints are a littke overblown. I think because they have a limited discography, and play long shows, it seems more stale than it is. A few more deep cuts in heavy rotation would be cool, but I think they do am alrighr job. The problem is they just dont have a lot or material to pull from, the staleness comes from having the same core 3 records for 30 years. Even if you count CD, thats even over 10 years old and only one extra record. 

Of 7 GNR shows I have seen, only 2 were identical- Detroit and Chicago 2016 and they were like within a week of each other. I got a lot of new songs at the 2017 show I saw and at least a song I havent gotten before in 2011, 2012, ans 2016. Next time I see them (whenever the hell thatll be), theres a good chance I'll get some more new songs like SOYL and Slither

Edit- to go back and look at sets, here are new recorded songs I got by year. It isn't a bad track record. I even got some rarities at the 2010 show like ITW and Scraped.

2010- First show so everything was new

2011- Estranged and Don't Cry

2012- You're Crazy, Used to Love Her, Civil War

2016- Coma, Double Talking Jive, Raw Power and New Rose(counting them because they were on TSI?), Out Ta Get Me

2017- Prostitute, Yesterdays, My Michelle

The 2016 and 17 shows dont Even take into account a bunch of songs I got with Slash for the first time, either.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3