Live playing energy

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

this is simply not true. It takes more effort for Axl to sound great, sometimes even good these days but come on now... his voice is not gone.

He sounds good on some songs and even great on a few parts but overall it's a big difference to what it was. Mickey Mouse, out of breath, powerless vocals... these are issues which nobody can't deny. 

I don't say his voice is gone forever and ultimately. I think he could deliver if he'd take it seriously like he did with ACDC. But right now his voice is more or less gone.

15 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

No. Frank has always been looked down upon long before 2016. Let’s not forget he was Brain’s understudy. Brain left and Frank got his job by default.  Guns had a unique drum sound up until Brain left. Now that sound is as flat as opening a week old liter of Coke. 

Wrong...

Literally the complaints about Frank didn't start since the God Emperor Adler didn't get what he wanted. Frank got the Job because he earned it.  Who cares if he was an understudy? Sorum was supposed to be Stevens understudy.

Again

02 2012

A4D 

Nuff said. Also he and 4tus have been playing together since the mid 90s.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Wrong...

Literally the complaints about Frank didn't start since the God Emperor Adler didn't get what he wanted. Frank got the Job because he earned it.  Who cares if he was an understudy? Sorum was supposed to be Stevens understudy.

Again

02 2012

A4D 

wtf are you talking about, people have been shitting on Frank since 2006 :lol:

The 2009-2010 shows were the best nuGNR shows IMO, because Ron and Frank both sounded significantly better than they did in '06, but even then people still complained about them.

Between 2011-14 he become more comfortable making the songs 'his own', like DJ did, except he wasn't nearly as bad as DJ. It didn't take too many performances of Estranged before people started complaining about the drums, for example.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

this is simply not true. It takes more effort for Axl to sound great, sometimes even good these days but come on now... his voice is not gone.

His mid-range is not what it used to be, something like Since I Don't Have You, Paradise City, SCOM, YCBM, all would have to be sung with rasp. That classic Axl voice that is instantly recognizable has been gone for a while, his natural baritone is still there, and depending on how high the notes, he can still hit them.

@Gordon Comstock

I'll admit I wasn't around for the CD tour days, but frank sounded very capable during the 2009-2012 days. Was there really a fuss about it? He may have been the weakest drummer of them all, but his original sound with the band, the kit itself, sounded better to me than Brain's kit. Brain's kit just seems underwhelming, even if the playing is great--Boston 2002 comes to mind. 

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

22 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

His mid-range is not what it used to be, something like Since I Don't Have You, Paradise City, SCOM, YCBM, all would have to be sung with rasp. That classic Axl voice that is instantly recognizable has been gone for a while, his natural baritone is still there, and depending on how high the notes, he can still hit them.

I think he can still hit all the high notes he was capable of hitting in the past but like I said, it's more challenging now at his age, especially without rehearsing properly before every show. In 2002 it seemed like Axl lost a lot of vocal qualities that were a big part of what made his voice so classic sounding but it turned out that he still had it, just chose to not always use so much power/rasp like he did in the past.

maybe a lot of how it sounds has to do with preserving his voice so he can do 3 hour shows now at 58 and lack of preparation and not loss of ability so he falls back on clean voice when using rasp on some tunes is too damaging for example.

Edited by Rovim

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think he can still hit all the high notes he was capable of hitting in the past but like I said, it's more challenging now at his age, especially without rehearsing properly before every show. In 2002 it seemed like Axl lost a lot of vocal qualities that were a big part of what made his voice so classic sounding but it turned out he still had it, just chose to not always use so much power/rasp like he did in the past.

maybe a lot of how it sounds has to do with preserving his voice so he can do 3 hour shows now at 58 and lack of preparation and not loss of ability so he falls back on clean voice when using rasp on some tunes is too damaging for example.

I thinks that true because in 2016 he went to a vocal coach because if you sing the Brian Johnson stuff wrong he can never sing again. So I belive alot of it is intentional.

Regarding 2002 he also said he wanted to have clean and clear voice 

12 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I thinks that true because in 2016 he went to a vocal coach because if you sing the Brian Johnson stuff wrong he can never sing again. So I belive alot of it is intentional.

Regarding 2002 he also said he wanted to have clean and clear voice 

also some people seem to forget that while Axl was always a great singer, he was never consistent, not even in his prime. So what we got now at his age with no AC/DC preparation, a 3 hour show on a 4 years tour with breaks, is about what is expected quality wise imo. and honestly, that last Mexico show was pretty good imo.

you can find many great vocal performances from this tour fairly easily as well.

what bothers me more is the scripted feel of the show, not the individual performances of the band members.

Edited by Rovim

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The 2009-2010 shows were the best nuGNR shows IMO, because Ron and Frank both sounded significantly better than they did in '06, but even then people still complained about them.

Between 2011-14 he become more comfortable making the songs 'his own', like DJ did, except he wasn't nearly as bad as DJ. It didn't take too many performances of Estranged before people started complaining about the drums, for example.

I concur. As a sixteen year member of the forum I can confirm that poor Frank has been shit on since day one. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I think because they have a limited discography, and play long shows, it seems more stale than it is. A few more deep cuts in heavy rotation would be cool, but I think they do am alrighr job. The problem is they just dont have a lot or material to pull from, the staleness comes from having the same core 3 records for 30 years. Even if you count CD, thats even over 10 years old and only one extra record. 

I will always count LIES as an album making it 4.. Still not a giant discography but I think they do good with what they have. You make a great point about the length of the show too.  They play 1.5 to 2hrs more than most bands. They play a freaking average of 25 songs. If they cut it down to 16 there would seem like more variety I guess but I'll take the longer shows. I love all the classic are stuff. I would rather hear more of it than less of it. I honestly have never been bored when they play any of it anyway.. Aside from a couple CD songs and occasional I don't think I have ever been bored during a song.. There are still a bunch of songs I wish they would play but after COMA, Dead Horse, Shadow Of Your Love, Locomotive and Slither I would never say never.. 

Would LOVE to hear more LIES...  Reckless Life, Nice Boys, Move to the City, Mama Kin, Patience, Used to Love Her, You're Crazy, One in a Million.. What a collection of songs.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brownstone drum said:

Have you ever watched any performances from before then?

Yeah I stayed up late to see the Revolver Golden Gods performance (wasn't very impressed even with Duff there) and I saw the performances with Izzy back when those happened. Even then I didn't care for Frank's playing but it didn't matter so much to me because it wasn't a reunion situation. Things are different now.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:42 PM, Brownstone drum said:

I'm sure if they interacted with the crowd more it may improve things?

Is it partly arrogance?

Yes, partly arrogance, but more so they’re just going through the motions. Axl interacting with the fans and going on a rant here and there though would make things look a little less rehearsed and more spontaneous.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:08 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I still say that people greatly exaggerate the exact same set list every show narrative.  I have seen them 3 times this tour and each set was different with songs I hadn't seen the previous shows. The last show I saw had a 13 song swing from my prior one with 7 songs played that I hadn't seen them do at all the prior two shows. And while their last few shows were spread out they added songs like You're Crazy, Dead Horse and Locomotive!! I haven't seen any of those or Slither and SOYL yet and I caught 3 shows. 

A lot of bands literally play the same exact set night after night for entire tour.. Guns just don't.. I think they do a good job with the set but they could certainly mix up the order a little bit. They actually did make a couple small tweaks in the order last show.  

It would also be nice to maybe mix up the opening and closing songs but other than that, if people weren't reading the set list online every night it would be a non issue. Aside from maybe the song order I would almost argue that the set lists changed even less as far as what songs were played every night back in their heyday. 

Perhaps you’re correct, there’s just so many songs that they don’t play live, and there catalogue isn’t big to begin with. They mostly play the same songs with a small list of rotating songs.

18 hours ago, Free Bird said:

He sounds good on some songs and even great on a few parts but overall it's a big difference to what it was. Mickey Mouse, out of breath, powerless vocals... these are issues which nobody can't deny. 

I don't say his voice is gone forever and ultimately. I think he could deliver if he'd take it seriously like he did with ACDC. But right now his voice is more or less gone.

It's almost completely different to the voice he's known for, it's not as good either... but there's a difference between not sounding like you did and a voice being gone. 

He has lost a lot of his power, and he's breathless easier, but he's rarely off pitch and in some cases he still sounds very good. 

If they said the album is delayed because Axl is working with a vocal coach, I'd actually be happier than just getting a release date :D 

8 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Wrong...

Again

02 2012

A4D 

You werent even a forum member back then to know what we were commenting on. I remember the complaints about Frank even before Adler was in anyone's wet dream about playing in 2016.

He just does not mesh well with duff and slash. 

He sounds flat, draining and messes with the songs. His only there because his a "yes" man to Axl. No other reason.

I have no doubt if it was up to slash and duff if he stayed or went he would be long gone. There is 0 chemistry there between them.

The band deserves nothing less than a world class drummer not someone thats struggles with playing everything outside of CD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, vloors said:

He just does not mesh well with duff and slash. 

He sounds flat, draining and messes with the songs. His only there because his a "yes" man to Axl. No other reason.

24232212_1962981303718261_67916255803287

Seems to be meshing well. 

Rest of your post I am not even gonna acknolwedge cause it has no basis in fact.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

It's almost completely different to the voice he's known for, it's not as good either... but there's a difference between not sounding like you did and a voice being gone. 

He has lost a lot of his power, and he's breathless easier, but he's rarely off pitch and in some cases he still sounds very good. 

If they said the album is delayed because Axl is working with a vocal coach, I'd actually be happier than just getting a release date :D 

Call it how ever you want. Basically you explained it the way I did.

4 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

24232212_1962981303718261_67916255803287

Seems to be meshing well. 

Rest of your post I am not even gonna acknolwedge cause it has no basis in fact.

How does your response prove he sounds good with the band? All it does is show how far up their asses you are.

No one can suggest otherwise or your knickers always gets in a twist about it.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Wrong...

Again

02 2012

A4D 

:facepalm:

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This. All of this. And then some. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Yes, partly arrogance, but more so they’re just going through the motions. Axl interacting with the fans and going on a rant here and there though would make things look a little less rehearsed and more spontaneous.

Perhaps you’re correct, there’s just so many songs that they don’t play live, and there catalogue isn’t big to begin with. They mostly play the same songs with a small list of rotating songs.

Yeah, I agree about going through the motions, not even sure if they're aware.

Watched some of Coachella this morning, it was a whole lot more interesting with Axl in his chair! At least he spoke to the crowd and was  there