Live playing energy

3 minutes ago, James Bond said:

He seemed genuinely surprised and upset that only the big three were being promoted as the band for the tour. His arrogance was astounding. What did he expect? It was a reunion tour. He had nothing to do with what those three did together.

He probably thought that 20 years of touring and recording would mean something more to them. 

On 26/05/2020 at 6:32 AM, Rovim said:

this is simply not true. It takes more effort for Axl to sound great, sometimes even good these days but come on now... his voice is not gone.

❤️👊🏼🤟🏽

3 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Oh well. Melissa is nicer. :lol:

20 years of dedication to a band should never be ignored. He was there when Slash and Duff left the band. It's the same situation for Fortus. He had to turn down various other Gigs in favour of GN'R, Nine Inch Nails and SMKC for example. 

Edited by Sosso

31 minutes ago, Sosso said:

20 years of dedication to a band should never be ignored. He was there when Slash and Duff left the band. It's the same situation for Fortus. He had to turn down various other Gigs in favour of GN'R, Nine Inch Nails and SMKC for example. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

6 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

To each their own.

Slash and Duff would both prefer a different drummer but that would jeopardize everything that’s happened from 2016 to now. 

You say that and you have absolutely no interview or statement to back it up whatsoever. It's YOUR opinion, don't try and make it more than that. IF Slash and Duff both said "Axl, we've been rehearsing with Frank for 2 months, and he's just not gelling with us" Axl as loyal as he is, would have at least entertained the idea of a new drummer... I mean in 2016 he fired Pitman and nobody saw that on the cards. Duff and Slash rehearsed with the guy and worked THEIR style into his playing (Read Franks Modern drummer interview, and Axls comments about Slash and Duff having 'Their way of working with a drummer'), not the other way around! In what situation would Frank have the power to decide anything about GNRs sound over Duff and Slash? Frank even said it himself, "I wasn't confident until  the troubador that I felt the gig was mine for sure" paraphrased a bit.

Again, I don't love EVERYTHING Frank plays, but 90% of it is just fine in my book. And Sorum didn't fit GNR according to the sound created by Adler, yet now 30yrs later people consider that the GNR sound too. Sorum played Adlers parts super clean and much straighter., and completely changed the feel of the band. If you're going to be a purest, then be a purest and be consistent. There are different rules and a moving goalpost for any non classic era member. Classic members can adlib all day it seems, if you're not a classic member then you had better play everything EVERY night exactly like the record. The funny thing is during the CD era, they were chastised by a lot of fans like you, who said, 'it had no feeling, it wasn't raw and unhinged like GNR should be' and now, when GNR is looser than ever, you want them to be tight and to the record... You cannot have it every way!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

So what? He had nothing to do with the success of the band. Maybe he expected more loyalty out of Axl on a friendship level, which is fair, but as far as business goes he has nothing to do with the brand. Based on how his music career has taken off after leaving the band, I can see how much they were holding him back.

Fortus and Frank are a bit different. I think they just look at it as a good gig that they enjoy regardless of the creative output. If I were a session player I'd happily tour the world with Guns. It's a solid gig.

Pitman had toured the hits with Axl for what, fifteen years, and suddenly he has a problem with it when two of the original guys come back? Had he kept his mouth shut he still would have been there. He was somehow angry that he wasn't considered as important as the main three. I must have forgotten how much he contributed to their success between 1985 and 1993.

• Like 4

If I could guess, I'm sure Pitman felt like a loyal confidant of Axl Rose and he stood proudly in that circle of "Yes" men who surrounded Axl and believed all the hype and vitriol that was spewed against Slash and other former members over the years.

He probably felt - at some point during those years - that the Guns N' Roses they were in was the real band, and that Slash/Duff and the others were enemies forever on the outside.

And fast forward, all of a sudden, everything is being pushed aside for the enemy - and that enemy is now a bed fellow. And Pitman just loses it.

I can see why he said what he said. He has more balls than the rest who tucked their tail and did a turn about just so they could tag along for the gravy train.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Supposedly after Pitman went on his drunken rant on Facebook or wherever he went to the studio for rehearsal and Duff shoved him up against the wall and fired him. Not sure where that rumor came from but I like to think that it actually happened haha.

It isn't seem Duff stylish :D

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

Oh well. Melissa is nicer. :lol:

I like Melissa, she seems like a sweet person and a cool musician to play with.

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

I don't think Fortus was ever considered for SMKC. The only person who has ever said that was him on a Facebook post somewhere and Slash already had a long list of guys auditioning for that spot so I don't think his name was ever in the (top) hat. Plus I can't see Slash happily taking on the guy who's been playing in Axl's NuGuns for the past however many years into his solo band.

46 minutes ago, Ratam said:

It isn't seem Duff stylish :D

He does have martial arts training and he's a really fit guy so I can see him doing all that. Plus it seems like Slash and Duff didn't like Pitman much to begin with? Thought I had heard that somewhere.

• GNFNR 1

45 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I like Melissa, she seems like a sweet person and a cool musician to play with.

I don't think Fortus was ever considered for SMKC. The only person who has ever said that was him on a Facebook post somewhere and Slash already had a long list of guys auditioning for that spot so I don't think his name was ever in the (top) hat. Plus I can't see Slash happily taking on the guy who's been playing in Axl's NuGuns for the past however many years into his solo band.

He does have martial arts training and he's a really fit guy so I can see him doing all that. Plus it seems like Slash and Duff didn't liked Pitman much to begin with? Thought I had heard that somewhere.

They seemed to like each other during the South America Tour back in 2014, but that could have change a couple of years later. 

Edited by Sosso

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

You say that and you have absolutely no interview or statement to back it up whatsoever. It's YOUR opinion, don't try and make it more than that. IF Slash and Duff both said "Axl, we've been rehearsing with Frank for 2 months, and he's just not gelling with us" Axl as loyal as he is, would have at least entertained the idea of a new drummer... I mean in 2016 he fired Pitman and nobody saw that on the cards. Duff and Slash rehearsed with the guy and worked THEIR style into his playing (Read Franks Modern drummer interview, and Axls comments about Slash and Duff having 'Their way of working with a drummer'), not the other way around! In what situation would Frank have the power to decide anything about GNRs sound over Duff and Slash? Frank even said it himself, "I wasn't confident until  the troubador that I felt the gig was mine for sure" paraphrased a bit.

Again, I don't love EVERYTHING Frank plays, but 90% of it is just fine in my book. And Sorum didn't fit GNR according to the sound created by Adler, yet now 30yrs later people consider that the GNR sound too. Sorum played Adlers parts super clean and much straighter., and completely changed the feel of the band. If you're going to be a purest, then be a purest and be consistent. There are different rules and a moving goalpost for any non classic era member. Classic members can adlib all day it seems, if you're not a classic member then you had better play everything EVERY night exactly like the record. The funny thing is during the CD era, they were chastised by a lot of fans like you, who said, 'it had no feeling, it wasn't raw and unhinged like GNR should be' and now, when GNR is looser than ever, you want them to be tight and to the record... You cannot have it every way!

Too much to decipher here so I won’t bother but I’ll just state this and then move along

No, I’m not stating my opinion. That would be much different entirely. 

No, Axl would not have gotten rid of Frank regardless of what Duff and/or Slash said. You figure out how to swallow some pride when hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line. 

Not to stir the pot but could someone please give me a link (perhaps with a comment) that points to Frank's poor drumming - to their ears. I'm neither here nor there, and personally don't think GnR's drumming is particularly challenging, so struggle to understand how one professional drummer can be seen as so shite compared to another playing the same song.

I obviously know the difference between Adler and Sorum, and do have a drumming background myself, but would like some examples of where Frank's drumming is seen as shit. 

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

He probably thought that 20 years of touring and recording would mean something more to them. 

Nothing to do with what it meant to the members of the band, they don't promote the tour and let's be honest Pitman isn't really a big selling point to help fill stadiums, 20 years in the band or not. 

14 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Why does Frank make people seethe on here so much?

He’s akin to Yoko squawking under a fucking blanket when you FINALLY got to hear Lennon play live. 
It’s a kick in the sack while trying to listen to a band you like... 

(I’m guessing) 

Edited by Powderfinger

10 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Again you don't know Slash and Duff.  Stop stating your opinion as fact. If Frank jeopardize they would have replaced him before the tour.

It’s gonna be interesting when Sorums book comes out, it may clear up who thinks what of who... 

1 hour ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Too much to decipher here so I won’t bother but I’ll just state this and then move along

No, I’m not stating my opinion. That would be much different entirely. 

No, Axl would not have gotten rid of Frank regardless of what Duff and/or Slash said. You figure out how to swallow some pride when hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line. 

Look, my point is fully backed up. You have nothing but an opinion that, as of this date is fan theory (nothing more), there's no comments from any current or past members confirming it or even hinting at it. In fact the only comments are resoundingly positive; I guess you can't decipher that either though ;) 

You said one thing I liked "I’ll just state this and then move along" thank the heavens :D 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I wondered, or wonder the same thing with the hate for DJ Ashba. I thought DJ was excellent. Different from Robin, but still a great guitar player in or above the Slash realm, which is a tier below Bumble and Bucket from an ability standpoint.

Axl has always surrounded himself with talent. 

Jeez.. Seriously? Do you seriously think DJ is at least as good as Slash? He couldn't even bend his guitar strings accurately. His bends and technique in general were so off I thought Axl willingly hired a non-professional GNR fan guitar player from Youtube or whatever. DJ era was the only one I couldn't listen to, precisely because of him. I can put up with pointless Pitman, no-groove Ferrer and bad shape Axl, but you can't play in such a huge band when your level is that of a local cover band.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:24 PM, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Also who cares about the fills? Want it "right"  Listen to the record. Everybody plays differently the  fills and cymbal stuff is all your opinion not a fact.

Your point is an opinion as well. I, for one, DO care about drum fills. I want them as on the records because I know every GNR song to death on every instrument due to countless in-depth listening. Petrucci have said something similar when Dream Theater was auditioning for Portnoy replacement. He was looking for a drummer that would play the exact same notes because the fans are so used to it, and it's a fair point imo. You can play around with few parts here and there, you could possibly come up with better fills (I love Ferrer's double-time fill mid Estranged 1st solo e.g) but you can't decide to play as you like a song that's not yours to people who know the song more than you do. Sorum had a totally different vibe but he was loyal to Adler's work. And that's how you make a song your own: by playing the right notes with your own feeling, not but playing different notes. I mean what's next? An alternative intro to YCBM?

Edited by Nizaraul7
grammar
  • Like 3

Pitman was like Giga-Dizzy... his final form

you defeat Dizzy in battle and then he comes back as Pitman... now he has *four* keyboards hanging all over the fuckin place, a leather vest becomes the full haight ashbury leather daddy ensemble, bongos give way to fifty layers of sub bass for all the canines in the audience 

Edited by Ant
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nizaraul7 said:

Jeez.. Seriously? Do you seriously think DJ is at least as good as Slash? He couldn't even bend his guitar strings accurately. His bends and technique in general were so off I thought Axl willingly hired a non-professional GNR fan guitar player from Youtube or whatever. DJ era was the only one I couldn't listen to, precisely because of him. I can put up with pointless Pitman, no-groove Ferrer and bad shape Axl, but you can't play in such a huge band when your level is that of a local cover band.

Your point is an opinion as well. I, for one, DO care about drum fills. I want them as on the records because I know every GNR song to death on every instrument due to countless in-depth listening. Petrucci have said something similar when Dream Theater was auditioning for Portnoy replacement. He was looking for a drummer that would play the exact same notes because the fans are so used to it, and it's a fair point imo. You can play around with few parts here and there, you could possibly come up with better fills (I love Ferrer's double-time fill mid Estranged 1st solo e.g) but you can't decide to play as you like a song that's not yours to people who know the song more than you do. Sorum had a totally different vibe but he was loyal to Adler's work. And that's how you make a song your own: by playing the right notes with your own feeling, not but playing different notes. I mean what's next? An alternative intro to YCBM?

Agree. If i see GNR and especially with the big hit songs and Estranged i want to close my eyes and hear the drums, guitars, piano sound as to how those songs sound on the album. Frank just has a tendency to do fills in the wrong place etc. Some fans care, some dont. and there are some muscians who to try to make the song there own, but with some songs you try and stick to the original especially if you had no part in the original recording, but thats just my opinion.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

He’s akin to Yoko squawking under a fucking blanket when you FINALLY got to hear Lennon play live. 
It’s a kick in the sack while trying to listen to a band you like... 

(I’m guessing) 

That perfectly describes Axl's voice, not Frank's drumming.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Nizaraul7 said:

DJ could probably teach Slash a thing or two. Super groups (Sixx:A.M.) usually don't have local cover band artists. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1