Appetite for Distortion - Gary Beers and Toby Rand talk INXS and GNR | Ep. 198

INXS bassist Garry Beers and singer Toby Rand (Juke Kartel) present their new project, Ashenmoon. Garry and Toby discuss their new band and have some great Guns N' Roses stories as well! INXS and GNR in 1988, parties with "Slash and Friends," and more!

Special co-hosts: Mark Alexander-Erber and Kristin Tully of Golden Robot Records

Edited by Gambit83
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• downzy pinned this topic
On 26/05/2020 at 8:13 PM, Live Like a Suicide said:

Haven't heard of Toby since he did that Rockstar Supernova thing 12 years back. Cool to see he's still doing things. Also, big shout out for INXS!

Toby Rand should’ve won that competition. The guy they picked was shit!

• Like 1

GREAT episode, I love INXS.

I can see why Axl wouldn’t have wanted to open for them and not just because of the spectacular meteoric success of AFD...

Michael Hutchence was a true ROCKSTAR.

• GNFNR 1

On 2020-05-27 at 7:12 PM, metallex78 said:

Toby Rand should’ve won that competition. The guy they picked was shit!

100%. Only thing I liked was Rossi's original "Headspin." But Toby's original blew it out of the water. Actually just stumbled across the performance on YouTube recently and that song still holds up. 

Honestly, the whole Supernova album had some great moments on it IMO. Be Yourself, It's All Love, Can't Bring Myself To Light This Fuse are still good listens for me. But yeah, Toby was a much more entertaining in so many aspects to watch perform. 

• Like 1

Though I’ve always thought INXS never was able to make great “albums” they were always able to have 3-4 amazing sings on every album and with a catalogue that large a phenomenal greatest hits. Plus Michael was a great front man and a crazy fuck.

Edited by circusboy666
  • Like 1

On 03/06/2020 at 3:02 AM, Gunner55 said:

100%. Only thing I liked was Rossi's original "Headspin." But Toby's original blew it out of the water. Actually just stumbled across the performance on YouTube recently and that song still holds up. 

Honestly, the whole Supernova album had some great moments on it IMO. Be Yourself, It's All Love, Can't Bring Myself To Light This Fuse are still good listens for me. But yeah, Toby was a much more entertaining in so many aspects to watch perform. 

Oh yeah I did like that Toby Rand original but Headspin was awesome too. I liked both singers. I probably favoured Rossi. The Supernova album was top notch. It's On was another great tune. 

Supernova only did one little tour and that was that. 

On 2020-06-05 at 1:21 AM, vloors said:

Love INXS myself.

Slash in his book though said they hated the band with a passion.

I do remember an article from the eighties where guns played before INXS at a festival.  Apparently guns were having a bad show and either Hutchence or some other member of the band was quoted as saying “does it get any worse than this?”  I bet Axl never forgot that.

didn’t like INXS much myself.

i guess I should have listened to the podcast first, they actually mention this festival!

Edited by Kira

On 04/06/2020 at 11:50 PM, circusboy666 said:

Though I’ve always thought INXS never was able to make great “albums” they were always able to have 3-4 amazing sings on every album and with a catalogue that large a phenomenal greatest hits. Plus Michael was a great front man and a crazy fuck.

I think Kick is a very strong album. Listen like Thieves and The Swing were great too.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide