Evader’s mix of The General discussion *No links*

I wanna talk about this mix that evader made almost from scratch of “The General”. The story goes, during the Euro tour in 2010, at a post-show party in Vienna, The General was played on the PA system. A fan was able to record some of the song and it leaked sometime in 2018.

The leak is extremely difficult to parse much nuance of the song due to the party guests talking. Evader, whom I understand, strung together thousands of different Axl noises from the Rock Band multitracks— was able to make a coherent and in imo, a fucking great representation of what some of The General might sound like. For those of us who have heard this fantastic mix, what do you think of it? 

Personally, I think i think the guitars are magnificent and very heavy. The “who would do this, to you” lines in the last 30 secs are beautiful to me. We may never get to hear even a demo, let alone an official release of this song, but I’m pretty happy with this mix lol.

• Like 2

It’s funny to see this thread today, I listened to it this morning just scrolling through my files. 

It has a lot of potential but it’s really tough for me to make anything of it until we can hear it in its actuality. Strong potential from what Evader’s strung together, could’ve been a great lead for whatever would’ve been CDII.

• Like 2

I do like it a lot, I think Evader did a great job making a convincing sounding GNR track from the ground up - including "brand new" Axl vocals.  Honestly I enjoy his instrumental on it more than many of the Village Session leaks lol

With a cell phone clip as bad sounding as that, even with audio editing enhancers to express different frequencies and eliminate as much ambient noise as possible you still can only make out so much of the track, but I do think that Evader sounds dead-on with the most obvious parts we can hear and the rest of the approximations/creative liberties fit and sound cool

20 minutes ago, Mindray11 said:

I wish I had recorded that fucking thing in a better quality......:facepalm:

Oh you were the one who recorded it!?  If so, hey I for one am glad you actually recorded it in the first place!  And I know my cell phone circa 2010 made anything I tried to record sound like it came from a naval base under attack lol so its all good man :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mindray11 said:

You done us a turn with what you managed to capture. Mobile phone recordings weren't quite what they are now!

What were your initial thoughts when you heard it?

Edited by Dean

3 hours ago, Mindray11 said:

Any other cool or interesting details you recall of this song, and any others played? I heard they played Silkworms and If the World remix at that party. Would have been cool to know where the source was! I'm sure it was well protected though, and not just a CD player in a closet. Haha

39 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Any other cool or interesting details you recall of this song, and any others played? I heard they played Silkworms and If the World remix at that party. Would have been cool to know where the source was! I'm sure it was well protected though, and not just a CD player in a closet. Haha

Im sure it was Pitmans ipod

Just now, Sweersa said:

There's a clip of Silkworms from the party too. You can tell it's been reworked from the leak we got, it's got more guitars and sounds very promising (for those of us who like the song..)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

There's a clip of Silkworms from the party too. You can tell it's been reworked from the leak we got, it's got more guitars and sounds very promising (for those of us who like the song..)

That sounds good, crazy to think 2010 was ten years ago now.

I wonder what form (if any) they will take in an eventual release now. It's a shame the CD-era didn't put out one more record.

4 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Still find it weird they played it at after show party events but never released the song.

Neither do they appear to have any intention too.

Sorry if it was asked before but how would you describe the song? Did it feature raspy Axl or clean Axl??? Was it as good as it is believed to be? Its hard to love a song from the first listen but its possible @Mindray11

Edited by Alejandro GNR
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

It's actually really crazy that they played this at an afterparty, makes you think they really wanted to release an album around that time.

Wasn't Axl playing versions of the album in strip clubs between 2002-2004 though? Playing your songs for a room full of people doesn't necessarily mean you intend to release those songs publicly any time soon. He was also playing unreleased songs for people as late as 2014 but that doesn't mean an album was coming. :shrugs:

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wasn't Axl playing versions of the album in strip clubs between 2002-2004 though? Playing your songs for a room full of people doesn't necessarily mean you intend to release those songs publicly any time soon. He was also playing unreleased songs for people as late as 2014 but that doesn't mean an album was coming. :shrugs:

I kinda imagine that, up until the last few years in which he clearly no longer cares, Axl has existed in a perpetual state of truly thinking he wants to and will release music. He probably thought he was going to release the album during those years. It's like the garage you always say you're gonna clean out. He just never gets around to it, then blames others, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dean said:

You done us a turn with what you managed to capture. Mobile phone recordings weren't quite what they are now!

What were your initial thoughts when you heard it?

I thought it was pretty catchy, because of those "woo-ho, woo-ho" vocals. That sounded like a mix of Axl, Tommy and Dizzy...something like that.

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Sorry if it was asked before but how would you describe the song? Did it feature raspy Axl or clean Axl??? Was it as good as it is believed to be? Its hard to love a song from the first listen but its possible @Mindray11

Well, if you liked the Bucket/Brian stuff that leaked last year, you'll like this song too. It really fits those songs. I don't remember much of it, though. The guitar solo sounded amazing and the Axl screaming part was heavy.

I was surprised when they said that the concert intro is The General and when everybody said that this song from the after-show party was that very song. To me, it doesn't fit, but I don't know. It's been to long.

Where are those people from that german fansite that were at the same after-show? They heard this stuff too. Can't believe I'm the only one to talk about this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 3

18 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

I kinda imagine that, up until the last few years in which he clearly no longer cares, Axl has existed in a perpetual state of truly thinking he wants to and will release music. He probably thought he was going to release the album during those years. It's like the garage you always say you're gonna clean out. He just never gets around to it, then blames others, etc.

That could definitely be the case. I think he probably did want to release another album around 2010, but we'll never really know.

It's kinda weird that he'd be playing unreleased songs when the band wasn't doing anything though... the band was basically inactive between 2003-05, and he knew that members were leaving in 2014, so it seems like he was still interested in peoples feedback on the songs, but didn't want all the attention and criticism that he'd get by actually releasing those songs.

• Like 1