Awesome music and great performance. 

On 31/05/2020 at 7:58 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

Amazing song! Very cool lyrics that tell a really sad story, get me some separates and I would love to produce this track! 

Very interested in what could come up from this.  👀

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Awesome music and great performance. 

Very interested in what could come up from this.  👀

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I recently had a guy from Sony listen to some of my material and to quote him "didn't love it." Guns old manager Merck has listened to it and liked it but wasn't overly impressed.😄 Oh well, as some guy once said "keep on pushin for the fortune and fame."

Just now, lame ass security said:

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I recently had a guy from Sony listen to some of my material and to quote him "didn't love it." Guns old manager Merck has listened to it and liked it but wasn't overly impressed.😄 Oh well, as some guy once said "keep on pushin for the fortune and fame."

Did they listen to the one in this thread?

27 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Merck isn't really someone I would thought as tasteful. 

But yeah, record companies employees are very much oriented to something else these days. Don't trust them.

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Merck isn't really someone I would thought as tasteful. 

But yeah, record companies employees are very much oriented to something else these days. Don't trust them.

Yep, the companies are only interested in the bottom line but you can't blame them because it is a business. Nothing new there, it's always been like that.

25 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Yep, the companies are only interested in the bottom line but you can't blame them because it is a business. Nothing new there, it's always been like that.

I believe it's kinda worse. They are not interested in pushing the envelope or just being different. They want the chorus first, heavy bass and in-your-face mix to catch the millenials' short attention spam. The less organic and more fake, the better.

But I don't want to hijack your thread. Your song is amazing. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I believe it's kinda worse. They are not interested in pushing the envelope or just being different. They want the chorus first, heavy bass and in-your-face mix to catch the millenials' short attention spam. The less organic and more fake, the better.

But I don't want to hijack your thread. Your song is amazing. :)

It's cool that you mentioned the chorus first, I have something I'm working on that I've considered putting the chorus first. But I don't think I can bring myself to do it, but then again i might.😄

44 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

It's cool that you mentioned the chorus first, I have something I'm working on that I've considered putting the chorus first. But I don't think I can bring myself to do it, but then again i might.😄

Follow your integrity my man!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I keep playing this one, I love it! What was your inspiration?

Thanks. Well, I was watching a documentary about a capital murder case.  The courts were trying to determine if the accused was able to understand what he had done and if he was mentally competent to stand trial. He was subsequently deemed competent, was convicted, and placed on death row. He was eventually executed.  But during the entire process the only person to have any contact with him was his older sister. I can't remember if her name was Stella so I might've taken poetic license there.😊 Anyway, I decided to write the song in first person because I thought it would be more impactful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think everybody here has said exactly what I'd say. It's some of the best shit I've ever heard. As far as levels go, I like that the vocals are more out in the open, especially the subject matter. I nerd out over lyrics LOL. I don't know much about trying to get any label's attention, at least not on a major scale but it's been the same for a long time. You'll have 100 doors slammed in your face before one opens.

Labels are bean counters, always have been. Payola has never went away.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

I think everybody here has said exactly what I'd say. It's some of the best shit I've ever heard. As far as levels go, I like that the vocals are more out in the open, especially the subject matter. I nerd out over lyrics LOL. I don't know much about trying to get any label's attention, at least not on a major scale but it's been the same for a long time. You'll have 100 doors slammed in your face before one opens.

Labels are bean counters, always have been. Payola has never went away.

Thank you so much man, it means so much knowing that.

On 04/06/2020 at 4:34 AM, lame ass security said:

Thank you so much man, it means so much knowing that.

He's right y'know, A&R guys are full of shit.  I ain't Mr fuckin' music industry but like, broadly, go through em, read up, how many of these motherfuckers know what its about, what, Danny Fields?  Thats about it.  I mean, these guys aren't fuckin' hip, they don't know what its about, no band ever made it off the back of an A&R guy, you can go through every band or artist in history and you'll struggle to find anyone that made it off the back of on of them.  Like my man said they're just fuckin' bean counters, the main thing you've got to bear in mind with these motherfuckers is that they are just like fuckin' businessmen, 'find the next big thing' but there's no way you can do that if you ain't a fan of music unless it's a fluke.  They're out to fuck you up, thats all it is, even a record advance, its in the word, I mean you hear like 'x' band got an advance of 100 grand and its like woah but advance means what it says, its an advance on the shit you make IF you sell any records so whats that mean really?  What it means is you're in the hole to them for 100,000 before you even sell your first record.  So in that regard, averaging shit out, how many fuckin' million dollar acts do any of these motherfuckers sign? 1?  10?  20?  Shit, sign 2 and you're a fuckin' recording industry legend right then and there, they're designed to stitch you up more than these fuckin' cool fuckin' hip 'into music' guys that they are presented to you to be, like some kind of liason between you and the suits, they are the fuckin' suits.

All you gotta do is be into music and do it because you love it, if thats you then you'll never lose, if you're doing it primarily (as opposed to secondarily) for the fuckin' money then its a rough hustle but if you can't live without making music then you'll never lose cuz you'll do it in your spare time cuz its just what you do and who you are and motherfucker you should sing, shit, none of the orignal blues artists in the world except like point 1 percent of them made shit in their lifetimes, Van Gogh never made shit in his lifetime, Kafka never really did shit in his lifetime but, like anything, if you love it it don't matter.

Basically, art, when you sign up to it, assume that you won't make it shit...and if you do its a happy accident or a surprise.  It just shouldn't matter if you're doing what you love because gosh darnit what else is life about?  I'm fucked if I know.  Any great thing is music, when they made it, it was like fuckin' like...no hopers, people you wouldn't expect shit of...but that fuckin' frees you, liberates you...cuz no ones gonna listen your shit anyway right so what does it matter?  Even the Beatles, do you know, have you any idea what a fuckin' shithole Liverpool is?  I wish you was from England, I could walk you around a place like Dingle and see what chance Ringo Starr ever had, these were people that could not have had any idea of making it.  Just go all out, if you got the tools just fuckin' throw yourself balls first into the shit.  Even like The Stones, think about that for a bit, how far removed are they from the Mississippi Delta to be inspired by that shit and to make music emulating it and become something?  

Point being all you need is the tools, the rest is about passion so put your passion into it cuz I SWEAR you got the voice, I don't even like that kinda whiteboy rock music that you're into so much and even I'm telling you you're fuckin' good.  Fuckin' do something with that shit cuz I can't sing for shit and I'd LOVE to be able to do what you can do, even if it just meant in my spare time.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 3

Damn man, I think I'm going to print this so I'll have it to read when I need some encouragement. Thanks for taking the time to write it, everything you said is spot on. I've been around a bit and have had my share of the proverbial hard knocks, some self inflicted. But it is all experience I have put into my music. But like you said, it all comes down to loving the music and the process of creating. That's something I'm still learning. I have to be honest, and I'm not fishing for compliments or anything, but I know my limitations pretty well. I'm not that prolific as a writer, I'm not a great singer but I know the type of songs I can groove, and I struggle sometimes with melody. It's cathartic putting that down.😄 Anyway, the point being--like you said--just fucking do it.

Thanks for the heads up that you had posted another song since I often forget to check this section. :lol:

Your songwriting is excellent and I dig the mix. Your voice carries the song and I think having it stand out in the mix like this just helps capture that raw emotion. Seriously, nice tune!

• Thanks 1