The history of GN'R as told by GN'R (A4D)

what you're doing and have done so far easily dwarfs my own research (which I initially just had to made for myself to clear out my own confusion in all the studio sessions, so that's why the sheet covers only those)

that sheet I made and the table (shit, I forgot to update that one, I have to fix that) are of course free to use for anyone, and as always everyone is welcome to suggest fixes and additions.

now that Marc Canter hopefully reveals some more information about the super old era years, us all could be happy to bring some new pieces of information into our particular info collections :) 

let me say a huge thank you for your effort!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff!

I can only guess how much time has went into this.
When I did It in the past the most embarrassing thing were interviews given by the same people and yet contradicting themselves.

• Thanks 1

I just added a new chapter, LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT. It deals with the period Aug-Dec 1988. In this rather short period the band released GN'R LIES, got increased popularity, ended extensive and successful touring. With all this success the band started to get a lot more attention from press and critics, and controversies erupted, over artwork to Appetite, lyrical content and allegations of racism and homophobia. The band members also had to deal with their rags to riches journey and coping with a new status as rock stars. Izzy was already starting to drift away.

You can read the chapter here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4987-9-lies-and-the-spotlight#19252

And thanks to everyone for your kind words. I do this for myself, but it really motivates me when other people find some interest in my work.

• GNFNR 1

I am on a roll this morning. New chapter added, this one about 1989, annus horribilis. A year with no touring and little work on new music. Anathema to Slash who considered quitting the band three times (when getting an offer from Megadeth, after his fight with Axl in Chicago, and after the Mr. Brownstone speech). Drugs were breaking the band apart despite Izzy (and Slash at the end of the year) starting their processes of getting clean. Personal relationships were falling apart. Steven started rehabs and became the odd man out. Attempts at getting things on the right keel - trip to Chicago and shows with Rolling Stones - failed. Almost strange the band survived the year intact. 

Read it here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4988-10-1989-things-unravel#19264

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I added a new chapter, this one covering 1990. After a terrible 1989 where the band was torn to pieces from drugs, separation, and fights, the band now started to put itself back together but realized that one piece didn't fit any more, Steven. Where other band members had managed to cut back on drugs, Steven was spiraling out of control. So in came Matt, and in addition Axl thrust Dizzy into the mix. The unity was broken and this would later make it easier for other members to leave. But with the changes also came more spirited work and this year would hear new music from the band (Civil War and KOHD). On the personal front, Axl had an absolutely terrible year with a divorce, miscarriage, fights and despressions. Still, at the end of the year thinks were looking much better for the band and they had started planning touring the new record(s), including two shows at Rock In Rio in January 1991.

Here's the chapter: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4989-11-1990-moving-forward-with-a-new-lineup

59 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I added a new chapter, this one covering 1990. After a terrible 1989 where the band was torn to pieces from drugs, separation, and fights, the band now started to put itself back together but realized that one piece didn't fit any more, Steven. Where other band members had managed to cut back on drugs, Steven was spiraling out of control. So in came Matt, and in addition Axl thrust Dizzy into the mix. The unity was broken and this would later make it easier for other members to leave. But with the changes also came more spirited work and this year would hear new music from the band (Civil War and KOHD). On the personal front, Axl had an absolutely terrible year with a divorce, miscarriage, fights and despressions. Still, at the end of the year thinks were looking much better for the band and they had started planning touring the new record(s), including two shows at Rock In Rio in January 1991.

Here's the chapter: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4989-11-1990-moving-forward-with-a-new-lineup

Didnt duff divorce mandy in 89/90?.