Chinese Democracy Vinyl

There were plenty of poor pressings that came out at launch. The one I got had issues. 

The album itself is really dynamic and well mixed, which got some high praise in the time of Death Magnetic loudness. I've mainly listened on CD and there are so many layers, you can hear something new everytime you listen.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

I bought an unopened vinyl last year. Probably only listened to it once or twice, because towards the end of each side it started sounding pretty wack. Not sure if it's only mine, but all my other records sound good, apart from that one. 

Yeah I remember hearing about issues a lot of people had with some of the pressings when the album came out.  I basically use my vinyl copy as a nice memento of going to my local Best Buy and picking up a copy on the day of release

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, doakes said:

There were plenty of poor pressings that came out at launch. The one I got had issues. 

The album itself is really dynamic and well mixed, which got some high praise in the time of Death Magnetic loudness. I've mainly listened on CD and there are so many layers, you can hear something new everytime you listen.

Yeah I am listening to Madagascar right now a lot of jumping on the vinyl.

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

Yeah I remember hearing about issues a lot of people had with some of the pressings when the album came out.  I basically use my vinyl copy as a nice memento of going to my local Best Buy and picking up a copy on the day of release

If anything, it's nice to have to fill the GN'R-collection. Just wish the red hand or grenade cover were also made as vinyl covers, instead of the bicycle art. 

Yeah same with my end of each side it gets kinda static with like hissing on the emphasised words. Heard about this before I bought the vinyl though so i think its just a poor mastering. Hopefully one day we’ll get a better and extended master lol.

8 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Yeah I am listening to Madagascar right now a lot of jumping on the vinyl.

7 hours ago, Joraz said:

Yeah same with my end of each side it gets kinda static with like hissing on the emphasised words. Heard about this before I bought the vinyl though so i think its just a poor mastering. Hopefully one day we’ll get a better and extended master lol.

Chinese Democracy is (unfortunately) the worst sounding record I own, out of almost 1400 albums. 

It suffers from severe inner groove distortion, which can happen in many different ways during the pressing process. 

It's a bummer for me because Chinese is my favorite GN'R album, but the LP version just sounds awful from about the half way point on each side. I tried many, many different copies before finally giving up and realizing that it's just going to be the one album that I can't play. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Chinese Democracy is (unfortunately) the worst sounding record I own, out of almost 1400 albums. 

It suffers from severe inner groove distortion, which can happen in many different ways during the pressing process. 

It's a bummer for me because Chinese is my favorite GN'R album, but the LP version just sounds awful from about the half way point on each side. I tried many, many different copies before finally giving up and realizing that it's just going to be the one album that I can't play. 

1400? That's insane

I think I only listened to the vinyl once so I can't recall if mine is one of the ones with issues or not. Ironically my Appetite reissue (not the remastered vinyl) has a problem in Welcome to the Jungle. A noticeable skip right before the second guitar solo.

My CD vinyl has some notable skips too, and overall not great sound. Not sure if there was ever a decent official pressing anywhere, ever. It has been this way since I bought it at Best Buy on November 23, 2008. What a great day. Picked up multiple copies on CD that day too with my mom, I remember how much of a pain it was opening the wrap on on the case trying to get the CD out to put in my Ford Ranger's CD player. 

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

The European press was magnificently done. I bought a copy when I was bought a record player for Christmas. Superb sound. IRS, Madagascar and Street Of Dreams are fantastic.

I've heard that from a few people over the years. I have no idea how to tell a European pressing from a US one if I were to try to find it on ebay. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've heard that from a few people over the years. I have no idea how to tell a European pressing from a US one if I were to try to find it on ebay. 

The European version doesn’t have the RIAA (is that who it is) and FBI notes by the barcode. Hope that helps!

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

The European version doesn’t have the RIAA (is that who it is) and FBI notes by the barcode. Hope that helps!

Oh cool, that very well might help. Thanks! 

Like I said earlier, it really bums me out that Chinese is the one record I have that sounds like shit. I'd love for a European pressing to be the answer. 

Edited by RussTCB

33 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

The European press was magnificently done. I bought a copy when I was bought a record player for Christmas. Superb sound. IRS, Madagascar and Street Of Dreams are fantastic.

Good to know! Thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

You own 1400 albums? On vinyl? That's killer man.

I never got into vinyl because I started buying CD's when I got into music and I never really switched. I own about 800 CD's and I can't stop fawning over them :).

3 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

You own 1400 albums? On vinyl? That's killer man.

I never got into vinyl because I started buying CD's when I got into music and I never really switched. I own about 800 CD's and I can't stop fawning over them :).

Yeah, I've got a lot lol. Go back up in the thread and check that video I posted. My setup is featured around the 2:26 mark :)

I have an American copy but yet to play it.....there were loads going cheap on eBay a couple of years ago. I’d still buy a European one if I saw it at a good price just to compare.

Another slap in the face for Axl regarding the Chinese release debacle.