Chinese Democracy Vinyl

26 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

I have a European press of this, what flaws have people been hearing?

On the last song of each side it stars to sound ‘muffled’ and distorted. It very noticeable! The start of each side sounds great but as @RussTCB says, it descends into a horrible mess the closer to the middle the needle gets.

it normally started somewhere in the last song.

6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

On the last song of each side it stars to sound ‘muffled’ and distorted. It very noticeable! The start of each side sounds great but as @RussTCB says, it descends into a horrible mess the closer to the middle the needle gets.

it normally started somewhere in the last song.

Yep. It's what's commonly known as "inner groove distortion" but the US pressing of Chinese Democracy has the worst case of it that I've ever heard. I always tell people to use The Blues as an example. When you start the song, it sounds amazing. Then about half way through the song, it becomes so distorted it's almost unlistenable. Then the rest of the side sounds worse and worse.

I keep hearing the European pressing doesn't have these issues so I'm going to get one eventually. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Yep. It's what's commonly known as "inner groove distortion" but the US pressing of Chinese Democracy has the worst case of it that I've ever heard. I always tell people to use The Blues as an example. When you start the song, it sounds amazing. Then about half way through the song, it becomes so distorted it's almost unlistenable. Then the rest of the side sounds worse and worse.

I keep hearing the European pressing doesn't have these issues so I'm going to get one eventually. 

Random observation - how heavy are the vinyls??? I think I read 300g on Discogs....damned feels like it too!

@Powderfinger - how does this compare to the EU pressing you have?

26 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Random observation - how heavy are the vinyls??? I think I read 300g on Discogs....damned feels like it too!

@Powderfinger - how does this compare to the EU pressing you have?

No way they're 300g. The heaviest record I've ever heard of is 200g. I'm not sayijg there's no such thing as a 300g record, but if there is, I've never heard of it. 

In any case, the US pressings are 180g. I'm guessing the EU pressing is 180g as well. 

Thickness of the actual vinyl wouldn't have anything to do with the inner groove distortion either way though. 

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

No way they're 300g. The heaviest record I've ever heard of is 200g. I'm not sayijg there's no such thing as a 300g record, but if there is, I've never heard of it. 

In any case, the US pressings are 180g. I'm guessing the EU pressing is 180g as well. 

Thickness of the actual vinyl wouldn't have anything to do with the inner groove distortion either way though. 

Oh - I didn’t think the weight was anything to do with it! You clearly know your stuff with vinyl so if you say inner groove distortion then I 100% believe you!!

Odd - I wonder what the 300g thing was I saw.  I need to look at them again as I have other 180g discs but they didn’t feel as heavy as these??!! Could be all in my head right enough....😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Oh - I didn’t think the weight was anything to do with it! You clearly know your stuff with vinyl so if you say inner groove distortion then I 100% believe you!!

Odd - I wonder what the 300g thing was I saw.  I need to look at them again as I have other 180g discs but they didn’t feel as heavy as these??!! Could be all in my head right enough....😂

The 300g thing could easily be a typo if it was listed on ebay or Discogs. Who knows really. 

Dammit. Now I'm back on a kick of wanting to just pull the trigger on an EU pressing. I was off that kick for a few days lol

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The 300g thing could easily be a typo if it was listed on ebay or Discogs. Who knows really. 

Dammit. Now I'm back on a kick of wanting to just pull the trigger on an EU pressing. I was off that kick for a few days lol

Ha ha - apologies! Well - if it’s your favourite GNR, gotta be worth a gamble? Maybe wait and see what Powderfinger says....

• Like 1

CD was the first vinyl I ever bought as a teenager, but man it's such a garbage pressing. Very staticy and starts getting really bad towards the end of each side. The mix itself sounded like it was solid but it was hard to get through in light of the noisyness of it all.

17 minutes ago, History2010 said:

I've had the US pressing for a few years now but after hearing all the talk in this thread, I'm gonna order the EU one.

Is there anywhere to get one new still? You can't buy the US pressing new anymore, thankfully bit do you know of a regular store in Europe I could just order one from instead of taking a chance on Discogs? 

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Is there anywhere to get one new still? You can't buy the US pressing new anymore, thankfully bit do you know of a regular store in Europe I could just order one from instead of taking a chance on Discogs? 

Nah I'm pretty sure it's been out of print for a long time. I was gonna take a chance with Discogs personally.

6 hours ago, History2010 said:

Nah I'm pretty sure it's been out of print for a long time. I was gonna take a chance with Discogs personally.

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Damn! Well, I'll probably do the same 

All this talk finally convinced me to get one through Discogs. It wasn't cheap :shrugs:

8 hours ago, DTV88 said:

All this talk finally convinced me to get one through Discogs. It wasn't cheap :shrugs:

I hope you made sure it was deffo an EU one!! Were you able to get photos to confirm? And if you don’t mind me asking - how much (I will be looking to get one IF the pressing is better)?

6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I hope you made sure it was deffo an EU one!! Were you able to get photos to confirm? And if you don’t mind me asking - how much (I will be looking to get one IF the pressing is better)?

I grabbed one off of Discogs just now. It was listed as being sold from the Russian Federation, so here's hoping it's right. With tax & shipping the total was around $60 USD. 

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It was listed as being sold from the Russian Federation, so here's hoping it's right. 

I believe this may be the first time in known history where that phrase has been used. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Limited number of them pressed. It was released at a time where vinyl just wasn't produced in large quantities. 

Here’s hoping that they reissue it at some point.

It’s kind of crazy that they haven’t reissued the entire catalog on vinyl since reuniting. Then you release remasters for another dip when it’s time  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I grabbed one off of Discogs just now. It was listed as being sold from the Russian Federation, so here's hoping it's right. With tax & shipping the total was around $60 USD. 

Fingers crossed mate. 🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I bought one from the EU, as I’m not sure about shipping from Russia to the US Right now.

3 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

Here’s hoping that they reissue it at some point.

It’s kind of crazy that they haven’t reissued the entire catalog on vinyl since reuniting. Then you release remasters for another dip when it’s time  

Nothing makes sense with this band :shrugs: