Chinese Democracy Vinyl

4 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

It’s well known that the alternative covers were to be released but unfortunately those plans were undone by COVID-08

Yep im sure if it wasnt COVID 08 there was BLM parades that would have stopped printing production, where in Fernandos words its about respecting whats going on in the world 🙄

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, surforia said:

Listened to my US pressing last night.  Sounds good - no issues with the inner grooves.  I guess I got lucky.  Also, I’d throw in for a custom printing of one of the other covers/booklets.

Wow, that's incredible. That would be the only US pressing I've ever heard of with no sound issues. 

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wow, that's incredible. That would be the only US pressing I've ever heard of with no sound issues. 

I listened to side C - Sorry and IRS (both the inner tracks) and they sounded great.  Quiet, no surface noise, etc.  

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Must be the only US pressing without inner groove distortion. 

What shape needle is your stylus?  I used to have really bad distortion and sibilance on some records when I had an elliptical stylus, but then I sucked it up and upgraded to straight line stylus (which costed more than my turntable - ouch), and most of those issues went away.  Not sure whether it would matter for your copy of CD.

14 minutes ago, surforia said:

What shape needle is your stylus?  I used to have really bad distortion and sibilance on some records when I had an elliptical stylus, but then I sucked it up and upgraded to straight line stylus (which costed more than my turntable - ouch), and most of those issues went away.  Not sure whether it would matter for your copy of CD.

I've got an Ortofon 2M Bronze currently and have gone through many different styli over the past 12 years since CD was released. 

I've also gone through at least 10 different copies. I've mentioned this previously, but I have almost 1400 LPs from the last 4 decades that cover nearly every type of record pressing that's been done. The US pressing of CD is the one and only record I've ever played with anything near the terrible issues it has. 

In addition to all of that, people outside of this forum have reported the exact same issues with the US pressing. People who have setups with $5000 and above styli have reported the issue. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've got an Ortofon 2M Bronze currently and have gone through many different styli over the past 12 years since CD was released. 

I've also gone through at least 10 different copies. I've mentioned this previously, but I have almost 1400 LPs from the last 4 decades that cover nearly every type of record pressing that's been done. The US pressing of CD is the one and only record I've ever played with anything near the terrible issues it has. 

In addition to all of that, people outside of this forum have reported the exact same issues with the US pressing. People who have setups with $5000 and above styli have reported the issue. 

I have basically the same stylus (om 30) - playing on a Pro-Ject Essential III -> Pro-Ject S2 preamp -> Denon AVR (my weak link) -> B&W 606 bookshelf’s.  Amazing.  Guess I just got really really (really) lucky.  I’ll pop on the 1st LP this week and check the inner grooves to test that one.  I hate SOD so I’ll have to test Catcher.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 7:59 PM, DTV88 said:

Mine has finally shipped! Can’t wait to hear the difference vs. the US pressing. 

Mine shipped a bit ago. Tracking shows it's left Russia, but nothing since. My guess is the next time the tracking updates it'll be in NYC. Then I should get it a day or so afterwards. 

Whenever it arrives, I'll spin the inner tracks on each side and report back asap. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Mine shipped a bit ago. Tracking shows it's left Russia, but nothing since. My guess is the next time the tracking updates it'll be in NYC. Then I should get it a day or so afterwards. 

Whenever it arrives, I'll spin the inner tracks on each side and report back asap. 

Stuff from Russia can take a few months in my experience. Europe is only weeks, but with COVID-19 it's all up in the air (sometimes literally haha)

Sometimes the tracking stops in Russia (or wherever) then never resumes and it's delivered. Very hit or miss.

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Stuff from Russia can take a few months in my experience. Europe is only weeks, but with COVID-19 it's all up in the air (sometimes literally haha)

Sometimes the tracking stops in Russia (or wherever) then never resumes and it's delivered. Very hit or miss.

Someone previously mentioned they got a CD from Russia to California in about two weeks. My hopes aren't that high, but I'm hoping it gets here sooner than later lol 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Someone previously mentioned they got a CD from Russia to California in about two weeks. My hopes aren't that high, but I'm hoping it gets here sooner than later lol 

Nice! I have a few Soviet made North Korean flags I'm waiting for for a few weeks now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I was about 2 and a half weeks in getting a copy of 02 2012 from Russia just recently.

• Like 1

Does anyone have decent resolution copies of the Grenade and Red Hand covers?

I think there are ways to ‘enhance’ lower resolution copies via photoshop etc and will look to that if no-one has any copies. It seems there is the possibility of getting a custom vinyl jacket made but need good resolution copies for it. 👍

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Wow... 69 pages of vinyl mayhem! Cheers!

Yeah, we've been going in that thread for a while. There are a lot of useful people in there though. It's not like other audio forums I've seen where people get pretentious and judgey about budgets, brand names and so on. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, DTV88 said:

I forgot to give my update: the European press is A+.

I still can’t believe there isn’t a booklet or lyrics or anything. Simply terrible packaging for such a long awaited album.  

Yeah, the US pacakging was awful on top of the fact that the records themselves sounded terrible. So it's no surprise that the European one has the same shitty packaging. I'm just really glad to hear the records themselves sound way better. 

I'm glad hoirs arrived and I'm glad to have more confirmation that the pressing sounds good. Everyone cross your fingers mine shows up sooner than later!

• Like 1