Mother Mary Unreleased Song

In the March, 1991 issue of Hit Parader they published an interview done with Howard Stern, Axl and Sebastian Bach; during it they mention a song the two were working on called Mother Mary. 

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about the track aside from the title; I haven't been able to find any information but I'm really interested!

Edited by madsthegroupie
Making language more specific to point made

1 minute ago, madsthegroupie said:

In the March, 1991 issue of Hit Parader they published an interview done with Howard Stern, Axl and Sebastian Bach; during it they mention a song they were working on called Mother Mary. 

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about the track aside from the title; I haven't been able to find any information but I'm really interested!

Is this interview found online or would you be able to post the scans so we can include the interview in our database at A4D? 

37 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Is this interview found online or would you be able to post the scans so we can include the interview in our database at A4D? 

I just checked and the audio is already up at A4D, I listened to it before I bought the magazine for my girlfriend (If I had it myself I'd make scans anyway, sorry!). It's  the same as the 1990 Howard Stern interview just cut shorter for publishing purposes! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madsthegroupie said:

I just checked and the audio is already up at A4D, I listened to it before I bought the magazine for my girlfriend (If I had it myself I'd make scans anyway, sorry!). It's  the same as the 1990 Howard Stern interview just cut shorter for publishing purposes! 

Alright, then I suppose we already have the important bits, only not embellished in tabloid ways by HP.

Thanks! 

• Like 2

Extract from the interview. Axl mentions the song as a side note while discussing tattoos. Seb's song, might not have become anything:

Stern: I'm gonna get one of those... You know, like “Live free or die” kind of tattoos.
Axl: Yeah. 
Stern: One of those things that...
Axl: I’m doing Mother Mary.
Stern: Really? You’ve got no room left.
Axl: Yeah. And Sebastian is writing a song “Mother Mary” and I got a chorus, so we're trying to put something together here.
Stern: Where you gonna fit another tattoo? You’re already filled up.
Axl: On my forearm.  
Stern: Oh, I didn't realize you had some space.

Source: https://www.a-4-d.com/t3245-1990-07-30-the-howard-stern-show-interview-with-axl-and-sebastian-bach

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Didn't they mention a duet of Amazing Grace (or something like that) during the Howard Stern interview? It's probably that.

I thought so too at first but when I read up more on the actual interview, I found out that they sung Amazing Grace together jokingly in honour of someone's birthday (the name of the person is slipping my mind!). HP wrote it out saying this was an actual song they were writing together!

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Extract from the interview. Axl mentions the song as a side note while discussing tattoos. Seb's song, might not have become anything:

Stern: I'm gonna get one of those... You know, like “Live free or die” kind of tattoos.
Axl: Yeah. 
Stern: One of those things that...
Axl: I’m doing Mother Mary.
Stern: Really? You’ve got no room left.
Axl: Yeah. And Sebastian is writing a song “Mother Mary” and I got a chorus, so we're trying to put something together here.
Stern: Where you gonna fit another tattoo? You’re already filled up.
Axl: On my forearm.  
Stern: Oh, I didn't realize you had some space.

Source: https://www.a-4-d.com/t3245-1990-07-30-the-howard-stern-show-interview-with-axl-and-sebastian-bach

Thank you for adding!! :lol:

Alan Niven had mentioned the printing of this interview in Hit Parader - and the way it was presented on the cover of the magazine - as an example of the ways GnR were exploited by the press:

According to Niven, media exploitation of the band has been widespread. He cites the March issue of Hit Parader magazine, which put Axl Rose on its cover with Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach, touting: "Bas & Axl Interviewed Together For the First Time!" Inside, the magazine admits the joint interview was simply a transcript from a Howard Stern radio show phone interview with the duo. [Los Angeles Times, March 1991]

• Like 1