Appetite for Distortion - Roberta Freeman talks One in a Million| Ep. 201

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Watching now... Great interview!

So Axl was right after all about in that rant in Sacramento 1993: 

"I watched the man named James prove that - you know, since I’m supposed to be the 'rock racist,' cuz I used a word once? I watched the man show me that he was a motherfucking racist. He's got a real big problem with Ice-T and any black man, actually."

Who is he referring to, hetfield?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

So Axl was right after all in that rant in Sacramento 1993: 

"I watched the man named James prove that - you know, since I’m supposed to be the 'rock racist,' cuz I used a word once? I watched the man show me that he was a motherfucking racist. He's got a real big problem with Ice-T and any black man, actually."

Hmm - maybe a bit of context here. I’m sure Ross Halfin took that photo and pretty sure it wouldn’t have been published/caused an uproar if it a real statement....if it was a true statement it’s a career ender. Kirk is of Filipino descent and Rob is part Mexican part Native American! Lars is one of the most chill dudes about and even he is doing it - just a shite attempt at humour/sarcasm if you ask me.

Plus - he played alongside Lloyd Grant on Hit The Lights and shared a stage with him during the 30th anniversary gigs.

If I remember it correctly it was made in Germany in the 80s (not 100% sure).

Pointing your finger to your mouth making a fake Hitler moustache and raising you arm is at least to me not an attempt of humour.

13 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Hmm - maybe a bit of context here. I’m sure Ross Halfin took that photo and pretty sure it wouldn’t have been published/caused an uproar if it a real statement....if it was a true statement it’s a career ender. Kirk is of Filipino descent and Rob is part Mexican part Native American! Lars is one of the most chill dudes about and even he is doing it - just a shite attempt at humour/sarcasm if you ask me.

Plus - he played alongside Lloyd Grant on Hit The Lights and shared a stage with him during the 30th anniversary gigs.

I guess you wanted to quote the post with the picture and not me?

26 minutes ago, MJ23 said:

Pointing your finger to your mouth making a fake Hitler moustache and raising you arm is at least to me not an attempt of humour.

I think it was early 90s - 91/92. Agreed - not my type of ‘humour’ either, but I don’t think he is racist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

So Axl was right after all in that rant in Sacramento 1993: 

Not able to listen to/watch the interview right now, but still curious. I take it that Roberta has experienced racist remarks from James Hetfield then? If someone has the time to elaborate, I would be grateul. 

Edited by Homefuck

47 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

During the GnR/Metallica tour, Roberta witnessed part of a conversation between Axl, Slash and James Hetfield (she happened to be passing by). They were talking about Ice-T and she heard Hetfield saying "I'm not sharing the same stage with a n*er". She said she was shocked, Axl reacted but she doesn't remember what he said. She said she hasn't talked about this before because if she did doors in the music business would close for her, but now she felt the need to say it.

The whole interview is really very interesting and worth watching.

Yikes. If that’s true then there is going to be some explaining to do.....and to say it in front of Slash???!!

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yikes. If that’s true then there is going to be some explaining to do.....and to say it in front of Slash???!!

Yes, then the conversation kinds of goes to that and it's very interesting. Roberta said that probably Hetfield didn't see Slash as a black/half black person (as he doesn't fit the stereotype), and she said the same might apply to Axl in his OIAM period (although I must say Axl had lived in Slash's house with his mother and grandmother).

2 hours ago, MJ23 said:

Agreed.

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, then the conversation kinds of goes to that and it's very interesting. Roberta said that probably Hetfield didn't see Slash as a black/half black person (as he doesn't fit the stereotype), and she said the same might apply to Axl in his OIAM period (although I must say Axl had lived in Slash's house with his mother and grandmother).

I did wonder about Slash being mixed race element.

I am Black American. I do not nor use the N word. I don't like it being used at all by no one. I also don't use, WB, C, D, H,S, and M. REGARDING GUNS. OIAM was a mistake. Crazt Axl wanted shock. Duff and Slash were too drugged to say no.I read Izzys interview he was against it, voiced then to Axl why, but let it go. Back in preinternet 80s and everything, few people knew Slash was Biracial B-W. Axl was not a racist. Is not.  GnR has removed that line in OIAM since .Duff, no one knew then, had a sister who married a BM. Duff n Susan, Meg n Slash all four ,of course , put up something on their sm about what is going on. Susan took it further and posted her niece and mixed great- niece. I wish for BLM to matter, but not everyone W is a racist. Regarding Hetfield there, stupid azz pux. Drugs perhaps. As for Ms.Roberta, he said that then , shameful. Was it in his heart then or today? Look overall .Then add... age, drugs. Today...look overall at things...Hired staff. Charity work. Etc.

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 3