Appetite for Distortion - Roberta Freeman talks One in a Million| Ep. 201

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I think it was early 90s - 91/92. Agreed - not my type of ‘humour’ either, but I don’t think he is racist.

Definetly looks its during the black album period. I hope hetfields attitude now has changed over time. Metallica did look particulary like a southern rock band around the 94 period, mostly because hetfield is into southern rock.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

During the GnR/Metallica tour, Roberta witnessed part of a conversation between Axl, Slash and James Hetfield (she happened to be passing by). They were talking about Ice-T and she heard Hetfield saying "I'm not sharing the same stage with a n*er". She said she was shocked, Axl reacted but she doesn't remember what he said. She said she hasn't talked about this before because if she did doors in the music business would close for her, but now she felt the need to say it.

The whole interview is really very interesting and worth watching.

He would of known slash is half black right. And he has performed/shared a stage with slash.

Doesn't seem right to me. Will give it a listen though.

Edited by vloors

Man. 

As a metallica fan i am very disappointed. 

Great stuff Brando!

I heard rumours of Hetfield being racist but nothing for sure.

Heres to hoping that he has changed.

I remeber seeing an recent interview from him where he explained that he has done some horrible things in his past, without any context.

• Like 1

Extremely puzzled to hear about the hetfield thing, especially considering a black (Jamaican) guitarist was featured on the first relased recording of 'hit the lights'. 

Maybe has to do with the fact that Ice T is a an American black guy?

At any rate, 27 years later, I would hope that he has matured as a person

Edited by Mendez

5,4,3,2,1 countdown.  Wait for it. GnR will get it for OIAM. AGAIN. This racial crisis has people bring called out for saying things recently and ohhhhh, 25 - 30 years ago. Actually in Steve, Duff, Slash, or Matts Instagram, I CANNOT remember which,  someone posted about OIAM.                                                   Hetfield n Lars, they are really going to get  it. Ms. Roberta,  like others, are calling people out.

3 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Roberta reached out to Tracy for me and she's down for an interview. Maybe with both gals. 

That would be great!. Would be interested on there thoughts of the illusion tour, whether they all travelled and stayed together and if they may have hung around for axls after parties!. The things they liked about the tour and what they disliked.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rebeldhipi said:

Man. 

As a metallica fan i am very disappointed. 

Great stuff Brando!

I heard rumours of Hetfield being racist but nothing for sure.

Heres to hoping that he has changed.

I remeber seeing an recent interview from him where he explained that he has done some horrible things in his past, without any context.

Well on a separate tangent he hunts animals , and moved out of SF to be able to hunt. I think i remember he went on hunting trips as there is some content about that on metallicas some kind of monster where the band went on vacation and what they did, and hetfield went hunting in russia.

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Well on a separate tangent he hunts animals , and moved out of SF to be able to hunt. I think i remember he went on hunting trips as there is some content about that on metallicas some kind of monster where the band went on vacation and what they did, and hetfield went hunting in russia.

Yup - he did hunt although I think he moved out of SF stop intrusions as opposed to hunting. Never understood the hunting thing in general.

If I remember, when he went to Russia or wherever it was, he missed his kids 1st birthday or something. I think that was at the point he went to rehab.

Its all disappointing and as folk have said, you’d hope any attitudes like that his from then have now changed.

Edited by DTJ80

4 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yup - he did hunt although I think he moved out of SF stop intrusions as opposed to hunting. Never understood the hunting thing in general.

If I remember, when he went to Russia or wherever it was, he missed his kids 1st birthday or something. I think that was at the point he went to rehab.

I dont know if hetfield has elaborated more on the hunting. I think he did in a joe rogan pidcast, need tl rewatch it again. I agree about the hunting thing to but i know its an emotional subject on both sides of the debate.

You are right he did miss his kids bday and had vodka shots as his own personal celebration of his childs bday.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

James Hetfield: "Rap is just to me very annoying…. Just the fact that it's extra-black, too-blacks, y'know, we want everything, we deserve it, give it to us" [Village Voice, June 2, 1992].

That was the year bodycount was part of their tour?.

29 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yes. That quote Soul Monster posted fits perfectly to Body Count's lyrics to "there goes the neighborhood"

"Who gave them fucking ni**ers those rocks guitars. Those blacks want everything in the fucking world." 

James Hetfield is human scum who cant even get his fucking drinking addiciton for 30 years. Sorry loser. 

Edited by StayofExecution2020

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yes. GN'R and Metallica argued a bit over who would open for some of the shows. Axl wanted Bodycount while Metallica wanted Motorhead. Axl would later, from the stage, imply that part of the reason for this was Hetfield being racist. The necessary context is that Axl was very pissed off at Metallica and Hetfield at the time, among other because of Hetfield making fun of Axl's tour rider. So it's been hard to conclude on this, was Axl just being spiteful and made some wild claims? People found it hard to take Axl seriously considering One in a Million and what they considered blatant hypocrisy, and some probably thought that wanting to include Bodycount as the opener was just a blatant attempt from Axl at stilling the criticism. Now Roberta's comments certainly pushes the needle towards Axl having a point re: Hetfield. There's also been other rumours about Hetfield, although Metallica recently talked out against racism, and as Blackstar pointed out, Hetfield has recently talked about being shameful of his past - so maybe has matured his opinions a bit? 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There's also been other rumours about Hetfield, although Metallica recently talked out against racism, and as Blackstar pointed out, Hetfield has recently talked about being shameful of his past - so maybe has matured his opinions a bit? 

hopefully he regrets for real, but what's said is said, no matter how long ago.

btw. to call somebody out on their racism shit, ABSOLUTELY !

to call somebody out on an addiction, not so cool !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Hmm - maybe a bit of context here. I’m sure Ross Halfin took that photo and pretty sure it wouldn’t have been published/caused an uproar if it a real statement....if it was a true statement it’s a career ender. Kirk is of Filipino descent and Rob is part Mexican part Native American! Lars is one of the most chill dudes about and even he is doing it - just a shite attempt at humour/sarcasm if you ask me.

Yeah. I wonder how much alcohol was involved in that picture. Things blown out of proportion as usual.

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes. GN'R and Metallica argued a bit over who would open for some of the shows. Axl wanted Bodycount while Metallica wanted Motorhead. Axl would later, from the stage, imply that part of the reason for this was Hetfield being racist. The necessary context is that Axl was very pissed off at Metallica and Hetfield at the time, among other because of Hetfield making fun of Axl's tour rider. So it's been hard to conclude on this, was Axl just being spiteful and made some wild claims? People found it hard to take Axl seriously considering One in a Million and what they considered blatant hypocrisy, and some probably thought that wanting to include Bodycount as the opener was just a blatant attempt from Axl at stilling the criticism. Now Roberta's comments certainly pushes the needle towards Axl having a point re: Hetfield. There's also been other rumours about Hetfield, although Metallica recently talked out against racism, and as Blackstar pointed out, Hetfield has recently talked about being shameful of his past - so maybe has matured his opinions a bit? 

It wasn't me who pointed that out (I think it was @Mendez - edit: it was @rebeldhipi), but if Hetfield has changed in regards to that, good for him. :) 

Edited by Blackstar

15 hours ago, MJ23 said:

If I remember it correctly it was made in Germany in the 80s (not 100% sure).

Pointing your finger to your mouth making a fake Hitler moustache and raising you arm is at least to me not an attempt of humour.

I believe in this case it is a humour and nothing else. Maybe a very bad attempt, but still a humour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

That's like saying: "the person that got killed in Hollywood still had a better life than in the slums of rio". Doesn't do him any good any more. Dead is dead. 

Get ya. 

But as a meat eater i cant judge anyone that hunts their food. 

17 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Watching now... Great interview!

So Axl was right after all in that rant in Sacramento 1993: 

"I watched the man named James prove that - you know, since I’m supposed to be the 'rock racist,' cuz I used a word once? I watched the man show me that he was a motherfucking racist. He's got a real big problem with Ice-T and any black man, actually."

Racist or not, innocent till proven guilty, James Hetfield is the greatest frontman of all time in the history of Metal music. Still on top at the age of 56. :headbang:

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1