Appetite for Distortion - Roberta Freeman talks One in a Million| Ep. 201

2 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

That's like saying: "the person that got killed in Hollywood still had a better life than in the slums of rio". Doesn't do him any good any more. Dead is dead. 

One could say, as long as he didn't see it coming and death was quick, it does matter. But yeah. Hunting for fun, even if you consume the meat, sucks.

5 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

That's like saying: "the person that got killed in Hollywood still had a better life than in the slums of rio". Doesn't do him any good any more. Dead is dead. 

I agree it's bad animals are killed for food. But some of them taste so good.

On a more serious note, human beings are omnivores.

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

During the GnR/Metallica tour, Roberta witnessed part of a conversation between Axl, Slash and James Hetfield (she happened to be passing by). They were talking about Ice-T and she heard Hetfield saying "I'm not sharing the same stage with a n*er". She said she was shocked, Axl reacted but she doesn't remember what he said. She said she hasn't talked about this before because if she did doors in the music business would close for her, but now she felt the need to say it.

The whole interview is really very interesting and worth watching.

Did he... like... not know slash was... like... what?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Racist or not, innocent till proven guilty, James Hetfield is the greatest frontman of all time in the history of Metal music. Still on top at the age of 56. :headbang:

I don't agree as I've never been a fan (and I've never liked Metallica's public personalities either), but to each their own :) 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't agree as I've never been a fan (and I've never liked Metallica's public personalities either), but to each their own :) 

Totally fine. To each their own as you said.

But I don't like people tagging others so easily as racist just based on people's preference and whether they like Black associated music, art or whatever. It's like you like black artists you with us, you don't like you're against us. I also don't like black or white or yellow people exaggerating their situation. Same goes to gay paraders.

Edited by ©GnrPersia

13 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Totally fine. To each their own as you said.

But I don't like people tagging others so easily as racist just based on people's preference and whether they like Black associated music, art or whatever. It's like you like black artists you with us, you don't like you're against us. I also don't like black or white or yellow people exaggerating their situation. Same goes to gay paraders.

I agree with the bolded part, as there have been cases of rock musicians who liked or have been influenced by "black" music (which is the case of all rock music really, with the exception of some metal and prog rock branches) and yet they had racist or questionable views, and on the other hand there are musicians and fans who don't like hip hop, for example, but of course it doesn't mean they're racist.

However, the issue with Hetlfield here is not about his musical preferences.

3 minutes ago, Creed said:

Lets be honest, guys. Everyone of us made the Sieg Heil ✋ and painted a Hitler mustache with mama's mascara, when we were young...

Ehm, no?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I agree with the bolded part, as there have been cases of rock musicians who liked or have been influenced by "black" music (which is the case of all rock music really, with the exception of some metal and prog rock branches) and yet they had racist or questionable views, and on the other hand there are musicians and fans who don't like hip hop, for example, but of course it doesn't mean they're racist.

However, the issue with Hetlfield here is not about his musical preferences.

Exactly. He doesn't have to like rap. But to say he doesn't like it cause it's "too black" is just plain racist.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Creed said:

Lets be honest, guys. Everyone of us made the Sieg Heil ✋ and painted a Hitler mustache with mama's mascara, when we were young...

You also shouldnt drive a Ford, cause Henry Ford was a racist, too.

Axl wore SM/Kill Jesus/Charles Manson/ Southern Flag clothes/Shirts/jackets, because of provocation.

There is a difference between making an evil hand and choking someone to death. 

I'm with you in this. I did shave my moustache many times like Hitler just to make fun with family and friends at home and then went back and shaved the whole thing.  

I guess some people need to take such things easy. But unfortunately we live in a Political Correctness era. An era where people are more and more pressured not to speak their true mind anymore.

You got Feminists, You got pro whitelivesmatter, pro blacklivesmatter, pro whatever Monsters... 

and these people can easily ruin a decent person's life via social media just because of a random stupid joke he/she made somewhere.

• Confused 1
  • Wow 1

Can't really say I'm surprised, I've heard rumors about James Hetfield being pretty racist before (or having been, I don't know enough about him to judge and people do grow up and change). I also remember reading somewhere that Lars and Kirk used to make out with each other sometimes during the 90s and they partly did it to wind him up because he was so homophobic or something. Taken together, the racism, homophobia and the hunting does fit a certain stereotype. 

23 hours ago, Blackstar said:

During the GnR/Metallica tour, Roberta witnessed part of a conversation between Axl, Slash and James Hetfield (she happened to be passing by). They were talking about Ice-T and she heard Hetfield saying "I'm not sharing the same stage with a n*er". She said she was shocked, Axl reacted but she doesn't remember what he said. She said she hasn't talked about this before because if she did doors in the music business would close for her, but now she felt the need to say it.

The whole interview is really very interesting and worth watching.

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, then the conversation kinds of goes to that and it's very interesting. Roberta said that probably Hetfield didn't see Slash as a black/half black person (as he doesn't fit the stereotype), and she said the same might apply to Axl in his OIAM period (although I must say Axl had lived in Slash's house with his mother and grandmother).

It's too bad she doesn't remember what Axl said, that would have been very interesting. I'd like to think he called Hetfield out on that comment or stood up for Slash or something like Duff did when that guy from WASP (?) was being racist to Slash, but tbh I could also see him not really acknowledging that comment (and Slash standing right next to him) or worse.

Apologies if Axl's general type of reaction (good or bad, even though she doesn't remember his exact words) is known and discussed in the interview, I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

"Everyone of us"?!

No.

Stadium Capacity: 100,000 | Friendly football match, Iran vs Germany. Iran fans Seig Heiling during Germany's national anthem at 0:34

Point is people still do. It's a phenomenon that could be reasearched properly. Whether it's for fun, whether it's because they're unaware or for whatever reason.

Edited by ©GnrPersia

14 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

I guess some people need to take such things easy. But unfortunately we live in a Political Correctness era. An era where people are more and more pressured not to speak their true mind anymore.

That's pure bullshit usually said by people who get called out for stuff. People can say whatever they want but don't expect not to get a backlash if you start discriminating or offending people while speaking your mind. Cause that's what free speech is about. 

Edited by StayofExecution2020
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Creed said:

That's what i'm trying to say. Most of those artists used it as provocation.

That's true. But knowing how James expressed himself in the past, it sheds a different light on it. But this thread should be about Roberta anyway and not about idiot hetfield

Edited by StayofExecution2020

8 minutes ago, Creed said:

Do you like Marilyn Manson, Rammstein

No.

and these guys? 

FtvNOOig1w0rkCt0X5uDs7VowsOfnoj3XypWTkTU

A bit (not a huge fan).

But I do like David Bowie and some other artists/bands that one time happened to be fascinated by or to play with the aesthetics of fascism, without being fascists - this is not the reason I like them, I like them despite of it.

This is not the main subject of the thread though, it's what Roberta said, and I see that some people on here ignore that and focus only on the picture with the nazi salute.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:47 PM, Mendez said:

Extremely puzzled to hear about the hetfield thing, especially considering a black (Jamaican) guitarist was featured on the first relased recording of 'hit the lights'. 

Maybe has to do with the fact that Ice T is a an American black guy?

At any rate, 27 years later, I would hope that he has matured as a person

Or maybe because Hetfield is pro cops  while Ice promotes killing cops. Tongue in cheek But you can see how it would inspire some fans