Appetite for Distortion - Roberta Freeman talks One in a Million| Ep. 201

On 6/10/2020 at 12:52 AM, Amaya said:

5,4,3,2,1 countdown.  Wait for it. GnR will get it for OIAM. AGAIN. This racial crisis has people bring called out for saying things recently and ohhhhh, 25 - 30 years ago. Actually in Steve, Duff, Slash, or Matts Instagram, I CANNOT remember which,  someone posted about OIAM.                                                   Hetfield n Lars, they are really going to get  it. Ms. Roberta,  like others, are calling people out.

Yea if it’s a fan of a person or band you hear things like I hope he/she has matured and changed their views. 

if it’s someone he/she doesn’t like ie: Trump, Biden it doesn’t matter that they said it 40yrs ago. They deserves to lose their jobs, everything 

I just finished the interview today.  Great work yet again @Gambit83.  I want to comment on what I found is a very oversimplification of why Trump won the 2016 election.  I am only bringing this up because Roberta discussed it.  Chalking Trump's win up to "racism" is extremely lazy.  There are soooooooo many other factors that played into his win.  Hilary represented the establishment.  Trump represented a shift away from politics as usual to people who were desperate for help.  They were willing to gamble on him and his morally questionable behavior for significant change.  Whether you think that has worked out for those voters is not the point of this post.  Obama was a TWO TERM president.  It isn't like he was ousted after one term in favor of Trump.  I feel like anybody who describes Trump's win as "racism in American is alive and well" has not even tried to understand the many dynamics that were at play in 2016.  And if the only thing the left has to critique potential Trump voters is that they're "racist" instead of debating policy/economic issues then history is doomed to repeat itself.  

I'm not looking for a political debate of how Trump has governed since then.  I'm simply focusing on the 2016 election per Roberta's comments.  

• Like 4

On 12.6.2020 at 3:15 AM, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea if it’s a fan of a person or band you hear things like I hope he/she has matured and changed their views. 

if it’s someone he/she doesn’t like ie: Trump, Biden it doesn’t matter that they said it 40yrs ago. They deserves to lose their jobs, everything 

I don't know what Trump said 30 years ago but the USA should be ashamed of having him as president. His current behavior is reason enough. 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

There are no words in the English language to express the level of contempt I currently have for all things identity politics. It's gotten so bad that every time it happens, regardless of its validity, I just roll my eyes and think "nope".

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Glad to hear from Roberta again. She seems so sweet. The interview got really good when she was able to take control back from Brando talking about himself nonstop. 

Roberta is sweet. As stated in the interview, I spoke about myself specifically to prove a point, be an example for others. To represent mutual feelings with the listeners toward race. What would be more effective? Speaking in generalities or personal feelings?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Roberta is sweet. As stated in the interview, I spoke about myself specifically to prove a point, be an example for others. To represent mutual feelings with the listeners toward race. What would be more effective? Speaking in generalities or personal feelings?

First off my apologies. That came out blunter/snarkier than I meant it to. I love your podcast, listen to every episode, and think you do the GN'R community proud. I totally understand wanting to bring your personal feelings and experiences into the mix, but I felt that - given the current circumstances - Roberta really wanted to talk about the black experience unhindered. It felt like, on occasion, you were too quick to jump in with comparing things to being handicapped and/or Jewish (and I get that you qualified this by saying you understood those are different than the black experience), when Roberta really just wanted to talk uninterrupted. 

I get it man. My dad was Jewish (proud "half-Jew") so I can understand that easiness to lapse into self-deprecating "I'm a jew" humor, but there are times and places for it. 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

First off my apologies. That came out blunter/snarkier than I meant it to. I love your podcast, listen to every episode, and think you do the GN'R community proud. I totally understand wanting to bring your personal feelings and experiences into the mix, but I felt that - given the current circumstances - Roberta really wanted to talk about the black experience unhindered. It felt like, on occasion, you were too quick to jump in with comparing things to being handicapped and/or Jewish (and I get that you qualified this by saying you understood those are different than the black experience), when Roberta really just wanted to talk uninterrupted. 

I get it man. My dad was Jewish (proud "half-Jew") so I can understand that easiness to lapse into self-deprecating "I'm a jew" humor, but there are times and places for it. 

No worries. Just wanted to make sure it was known I spoke a lot about myself this episode for a reason. Personalities that are all me-me-me annoys me to no end. And honestly, sometimes the humor is nothing more than a defense mechanism. I appreciate the feedback.