New Melissa Reese Article

I don't think this is a good argument... ''I would have done this or that''... well, it's not you, and everybody is different, it's as simple as that. So what if she doesn't know some of the stories from way back? Not everyone is stuck in the past.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

There's more truth to that than many people realize.

Also I think it's kind of pathetic that Melissa didn't do her research to get educated on the past history of GnR after it was confirmed that she was in. This isn't any old generic pop act, she's joining one of the most infamous legendary bands in all of rock n roll history.

I find it unlikely that she was completely unaware of the women who were there before her. More likely she just didn't think they counted for anything because she's a "member-member" whatever that's supposed to mean.

I'm not sure if there's still uncertainty about her age, but for what it's worth, in another interview Melissa talks about a dog she and her family had for 15 years. The dog died in 2016 right before the band went onstage headlining Coachella. She doesn't specify when exactly she got the dog, but she says she got it through Tom Whitlock, whom she first met when she was 13. 13+15=28 so in 2016 she must have been 28 or older.

1 hour ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I find it unlikely that she was completely unaware of the women who were there before her. More likely she just didn't think they counted for anything because she's a "member-member" whatever that's supposed to mean.

Roberta and the other girls were touring only members, while she would also join them in the recording studio when they record a new album. Thats how I read it

43 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I really dont want to be mean but I dont know what this thread is about, who cares about age....as I said earlier she is a fabulous musician, looks really edgy and, I think anyway, fits the GnR of today.

I don't think most are necessarily disagreeing with that, heard some work she did for a video game in 2015 and was floored by it so I'm very happy she's in the band(didn't make the connection that it was her till a few years later).

But I definitely see why people are curious or find it strange that she may have potentially lied about her age. Not that I necessarily care about her age, just find it a little strange that she may have lied about it and in turn may have lied about the whole "next Taylor Swift" thing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, registra said:

But I definitely see why people are curious or find it strange that she may have potentially lied about her age.

I have no idea if she lied, but if she did, maybe because many people are ageists? Especially regarding women? Maybe because she's insecure about her age and feels the need to lie about something like that? I don't know, there can be so many reasons really.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I'm not talking about that, I mean about just knowing a general history of the band you're joining. She seems to not really know anything about all that and not be interested. It's not like that information isn't out there.

15 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm not talking about that, I mean about just knowing a general history of the band you're joining. She seems to not really know anything about all that and not be interested. It's not like that information isn't out there.

She did come across that way for sure. And if thats the case, it might be an attitude that developed via her friendships with Bucket, Brain and Sacortuo (spl?) who all ended up working with Guns without being huge fans. So to those very talented, career musicians its almost like

"what are you doing next summer?"

"Me? I dunno, maybe join Guns N Roses for a bit. Get some cash to build up my home studio." 

"Oh no way, me too!" lol

And Mel seems to have been privy (involved?) in the remixes so its likely especially clear to her before joining up that one can be in Guns and not really even spend any time, in person, with Axl Rose lol. I mean Brain basically just left out of disinterest, lol. She saw that go down too - Brain working for years on work he was no doubt excited about and, well we know the CD story. All sorts of things that might have made her feel like she knows enough about what it is to be in Guns today, and thats good enough for her? Like none of us fans are especially proud of the state of affairs with the band today, cant blame her if shes not buying into any myths either :shrugs:

But the article also says that she wasnt informed that Slash and Duff were even returning until she showed for rehearsal. So she thought she was joining the Guns that she was already quite familiar with.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, soon said:

She did come across that way for sure. And if thats the case, it might be an attitude that developed via her friendships with Bucket, Brain and Sacortuo (spl?) who all ended up working with Guns without being huge fans. So to those very talented, career musicians its almost like

"what are you doing next summer?"

"Me? I dunno, maybe join Guns N Roses for a bit. Get some cash to build up my home studio." 

"Oh no way, me too!" lol

And Mel seems to have been privy (involved?) in the remixes so its likely especially clear to her before joining up that one can be in Guns and not really even spend any time, in person, with Axl Rose lol. I mean Brain basically just left out of disinterest, lol. She saw that go down too - Brain working for years on work he was no doubt excited about and, well we know the CD story. All sorts of things that might have made her feel like she knows enough about what it is to be in Guns today, and thats good enough for her? Like none of us fans are especially proud of the state of affairs with the band today, cant blame her if shes not buying into any myths either :shrugs:

But the article also says that she wasnt informed that Slash and Duff were even returning until she showed for rehearsal. So she thought she was joining the Guns that she was already quite familiar with.

Yeah, Stinson and Fortus isn't huge fans too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 10:15 AM, Blackstar said:

So she's actually Class of 2001 then?

I Graduated same year 2001. So she is 36-37 like me. As was previously believed to be the case years ago.

Don’t see the big deal in acknowledging it. Certainly DumB and unnecessary to lie. Unless u truly believe everyone would buy the idea that you are the next up and coming 20 something year old Taylor Swift:facepalm:

And I think that there might be an inaccuracy in this one too! :lol: But Im confused becasue at first its the author, Andy Greene, seeming to get it wrong. To me this reads as though Roberta was on tour with them until they stopped touring those albums,

All were brought on board in the early stages of the Use Your Illusion tour in the summer of 1991, and they stuck around until it wrapped up two years later. As touring members, they didn’t carry on with Guns N’ Roses when that run concluded and none have been a part of any future lineups, but they played a huge role in shaping the band’s sound during their commercial peak. (Reese, by contrast, tells RS that she’s a “member-member” and would play a role in a new album should they make one.)

Roberta says she played this many shows. Would that be the entire UYI tour plus Skin and Bones tour?

It was a long tour. I think it was two years. I did every single one of those shows. I think it was 194 shows in 21 countries.

But then Roberta seems to get it wrong too? Or am I confused about this - They are talking about the tour ending in SA, which is where the Skin And Bones tour ended. Skin and Bones didnt have Roberta and Tracy.

How did things end on that tour after South America?
My understanding is that the band was having some kind of differences. They didn’t want to lose Gilby [Clarke]. And then Slash started doing the Snakepit tour with Gilby. That’s when it kind of fell apart. Obviously, the girls weren’t invited back because that was the brainchild of Axl. The guys went along with it, but they preferred to just have the guys. I think they felt having not just female background singers, but the horn section, that was too polished for them. They wanted to go back to basics. That’s how that ended.

^^ She almost seems to be alluding to the Skin and Bones tour without her, about the guys wanted to go "back to basics." But at the same time, she seems to skip the entire Skin and Bones tour and talks about Snakepit.

• Like 1

Interesting NuGuns tie in. She performed with Bernie Worrel who played with Brain and Bucket in Praxis.

Then you played the Grammys the next year.
Yeah. After Pink Floyd, I ended up going on tour with Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads and Bernie Worrell was in the band, so that was an amazing experience. Then I ended up singing on the Grammys. I was slated to sing on the show with Nile. We were all rehearsing at SIR, going in one after another. Chaka Khan was there and Lou Reed was waiting for his turn to rehearse. He had Debbie Harry and Grace Jones singing “Walk on the Wild Side” with him. They didn’t show up to rehearsal and he was waiting around.

Bill Laswel was the leader of Praxis and Laswell started out his career in a band featuring Michael Beinhorn. Beinhorn produced Sound Garden after they opened for Guns. And Beinhorn was also producing Ozmosis when Zakk started jamming with Guns. Beinhorn also co-produced Mansons Mechanical Animals with Sean Beavan. Beavan went straight from that project to working on CD.

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Bringing "outsiders" to an etablished act can be extremly useful. New ideas, fresh air, etc. 

Right, i guess that all bands that isn't keep with all original members , new members isn't has been fans. Not many bands keep original members like RS and U2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

And I think that there might be an inaccuracy in this one too! :lol: But Im confused becasue at first its the author, Andy Greene, seeming to get it wrong. To me this reads as though Roberta was on tour with them until they stopped touring those albums,

Roberta says she played this many shows. Would that be the entire UYI tour plus Skin and Bones tour?

But then Roberta seems to get it wrong too? Or am I confused about this - They are talking about the tour ending in SA, which is where the Skin And Bones tour ended. Skin and Bones didnt have Roberta and Tracy.

^^ She almost seems to be alluding to the Skin and Bones tour without her, about the guys wanted to go "back to basics." But at the same time, she seems to skip the entire Skin and Bones tour and talks about Snakepit.

Yes, bit confuse. Outside GNR she work with many important musicians.

• Like 1