Need your help!

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Off topic I know, but the 2006 Newcastle UK gig where Axl walked off stage early and the show ended after Nightrain with no encore as someone threw a coin at him seems to be missing from that gig database. It was July 2006 after the Sheffield gig.

Thanks! I see it's missing from gnrontour, too. We'll add it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Since you brought up GITR, I wonder if they would keep that song on there or remove it. It would be cool if they recorded a new version updated for today.

It would be all about politicians today.  The media has sucked Axl's nuts through the whole NITL tour.  I could see them just removing the rant and leaving it alone.  I hope it stays on whatever they release though.  Lies ain't the same without OIAM.

1 hour ago, Swampfox said:

It would be all about politicians today.  The media has sucked Axl's nuts through the whole NITL tour.  I could see them just removing the rant and leaving it alone.  I hope it stays on whatever they release though.  Lies ain't the same without OIAM.

Yeah I have a feeling GITR will just be removed altogether (which personally I wouldn’t mind since it’s not really a good song anyways imo).

A new thought I just had: if we do in fact get Ain’t Goin Down as the lead single a la SOYL, it’s probably going to sound VERY different from the version we heard on the 1994 pinball machine.

i was doing some digging and found that the main guy who worked on the pinball machine commented on a YouTube video (which I can’t post here for obvious reasons) saying that the track was very “unfinished” when they got their hands on it, and that they had to “finish” it for the band in order to make it sound good enough to put on that pinball machine.

That means whatever master tapes (or backups) of the song that the band has probably sound very different and, frankly, probably very unfinished. My guess is that they’ll do the same thing they did with SOYL: record a bunch of overdubs to “finish” the song, but pretend like it was all actually recorded way back in the day.

49 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

A new thought I just had: if we do in fact get Ain’t Goin Down as the lead single a la SOYL, it’s probably going to sound VERY different from the version we heard on the 1994 pinball machine.

i was doing some digging and found that the main guy who worked on the pinball machine commented on a YouTube video (which I can’t post here for obvious reasons) saying that the track was very “unfinished” when they got their hands on it, and that they had to “finish” it for the band in order to make it sound good enough to put on that pinball machine.

That means whatever master tapes (or backups) of the song that the band has probably sound very different and, frankly, probably very unfinished. My guess is that they’ll do the same thing they did with SOYL: record a bunch of overdubs to “finish” the song, but pretend like it was all actually recorded way back in the day.

There is a version doing the rounds which sounds pretty complete and judging by the vocals, I’d deffo UYI-era. Sonically it’s not great (sounds hissy and crackly at bits) but I think it’s closer to complete than we think. 

7 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

There is a version doing the rounds which sounds pretty complete and judging by the vocals, I’d deffo UYI-era. Sonically it’s not great (sounds hissy and crackly at bits) but I think it’s closer to complete than we think. 

Ah yeah I think I know the version you’re talking about. Idk if I’d call that “complete” tho. It’s like 90% of the way there. If they wanna treat it as the lead single for this release, they’ll need to get rid of Axl saying “that’ll change, don’t worry about it” and also get rid of the stupid “deep vocals” gibberish during the bridge and replace it with something else.

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Ah yeah I think I know the version you’re talking about. Idk if I’d call that “complete” tho. It’s like 90% of the way there. If they wanna treat it as the lead single for this release, they’ll need to get rid of Axl saying “that’ll change, don’t worry about it” and also get rid of the stupid “deep vocals” gibberish during the bridge and replace it with something else.

Ha ha - that’s the one. But it’s MOSTLY there - who knows what they did after. Didn’t Gilby say it was one of the last things he worked on?

4 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Ha ha - that’s the one. But it’s MOSTLY there - who knows what they did after. Didn’t Gilby say it was one of the last things he worked on?

I think so, yeah. But I think even he said it was “never really finished.”

Like you said tho, it was almost there. Wouldn’t take too much effort to make it sound “radio ready,” imo.

Maybe they’ll replace GITR with Ain’t Goin Down, Lol!

Edited by rocknroll41

35 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think so, yeah. But I think even he said it was “never really finished.”

Like you said tho, it was almost there. Wouldn’t take too much effort to make it sound “radio ready,” imo.

Maybe they’ll replace GITR with Ain’t Goin Down, Lol!

I hope they keep GITR - it’s cheesy etc but I like it! And really not THAT controversial.

I’d think Ain’t Going Down is a cert for the ‘single’. It’s been gestating for almost 35 years!!! 😂

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I hope they keep GITR - it’s cheesy etc but I like it! And really not THAT controversial.

I’d think Ain’t Going Down is a cert for the ‘single’. It’s been gestating for almost 35 years!!! 😂

I like it until the “deep voice” part and the rant.

The actual verses and choruses and solo are great, tho. I’d dig an edit of the song. But they’ll probably either leave it as or remove the song altogether.

I guess even tho the rant is cringey and outdated, it does act as a “time capsule” of 1991 media, in a sense. So I’ll give it that.

Edited by rocknroll41

34 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Why would they remove Get In The Ring?

If they remove anything, it's gonna be Look At Your Game, Girl (assuming the rest of TSI? is included.)

I have a feeling they won’t make room for TSI on this set, apart from those two leftover tracks (Beer & Cigarette and Down on the Street).

I just assumed they might remove GITR cause Axl implied in the 2011 That Metal Show interview that he regretted the song. Then again, it’s been another whole decade now since he said that, and a lot has changed since then, so maybe he doesn’t even care anymore lol.

51 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I like it until the “deep voice” part and the rant.

The actual verses and choruses and solo are great, tho. I’d dig an edit of the song. But they’ll probably either leave it as or remove the song altogether.

I guess even tho the rant is cringey and outdated, it does act as a “time capsule” of 1991 media, in a sense. So I’ll give it that.

There must be a demo of it somewhere. Think it was Duff who brought it and was called ‘Why do you look at me when you hate me?’ originally?

As you say - some cool bits in the song.

Just now, DTJ80 said:

There must be a demo of it somewhere. Think it was Duff who brought it and was called ‘Why do you look at me when you hate me?’ originally?

As you say - some cool bits in the song.

Yeah I’d like to hear THAT version! If they can include that on the inevitable “demo disc” portion of this boxset then that’d be cool.

i don’t even think they should include the original album mixes on this set. Make room for remixes, demos, live rarities, and blue ray discs. If we wanna hear how these songs sounded when they first released in 1991 then we can just go buy the original albums.

On that note, maybe a cool name for this set could be “Illusions Revisited” or something. I think this set needs a title that “stands out” more than just “Use Your Illusion - Deluxe Edition” or what have you.

Paging @troccoli just to make sure he sees that point above about the title (troccoli, let me know if you want me to stop tagging you in these posts).

19 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I have a feeling they won’t make room for TSI on this set, apart from those two leftover tracks (Beer & Cigarette and Down on the Street).

I just assumed they might remove GITR cause Axl implied in the 2011 That Metal Show interview that he regretted the song. Then again, it’s been another whole decade now since he said that, and a lot has changed since then, so maybe he doesn’t even care anymore lol.

I really hope they do - most of it was conceived during the UYI sessions anyway. Wouldn’t be much different to including Lies stuff in the last Boxset.

Plus it needs to be on Vinyl AND orange...! 😂

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I really hope they do - most of it was conceived during the UYI sessions anyway. Wouldn’t be much different to including Lies stuff in the last Boxset.

Plus it needs to be on Vinyl AND orange...! 😂

Don’t get me wrong, I love TSI. But I’m thinking about this project in terms of economics, you know? Why waste an entire disc on an album we already have? Especially if they’re not gonna change anything about it?

This isn’t the same as the AFD boxset. There’s a lot more vault stuff to go through with this era.

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love TSI. But I’m thinking about this project in terms of economics, you know? Why waste an entire disc on an album we already have? Especially if they’re not gonna change anything about it?

This isn’t the same as the AFD boxset. There’s a lot more vault stuff to go through with this era.

Good point - although I wouldn’t see TSI getting any treatment otherwise as it’s not like the toured it. An expanded version including the missing tracks could work......Although as someone who splurged on the AFD box, I’m a greedy fucker who wants it ALL!!! 😂

16 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Good point - although I wouldn’t see TSI getting any treatment otherwise as it’s not like the toured it. An expanded version including the missing tracks could work......Although as someone who splurged on the AFD box, I’m a greedy fucker who wants it ALL!!! 😂

Yeah lol. I actually really liked the AFD box! Hell, id even buy a version of this that had like ten or twelve discs! But, realistically, they’ll probably only do five discs at most (like the AFD set), so that’s why I’m trying to be “economical” here!

57 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

TSI is part of the Illusions era though. Most of the covers were recorded during the UYI sessions, and the music video for Estranged came out about 1 month after TSI was released. If they included Lies in the AFD box, they'll almost definitely include TSI in this box.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

TSI is part of the Illusions era though. Most of the covers were recorded during the UYI sessions, and the music video for Estranged came out about 1 month after TSI was released. If they included Lies in the AFD box, they'll almost definitely include TSI in this box.

I really hope so - the fact most were created during the UYI sessions makes me think they WILL. I get the economical argument too - however if you remove ALL the trinkets and cabinet from the AFD set, that’s a BIG cost saving (wonder how much that stuff ‘cost’ to make...?) so for the UYI set, something like MetallicAs deluxe editions (heavy Clam boxes) would do just fine. 👍

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If the band is willing to squeeze in an extra disc for TSI but still save enough room for rare/new stuff then I’d be ok with it.

EDIT: on that note, how big are these types of anniversary box sets generally? Is the norm to do around four or five discs, like the AFD reissue? I don’t normally buy box sets, so I don’t have a firm grasp of that sorta thing. I know Metallica did like ten bonus discs for the AJFA reissue, but idk if that’s the norm or not... I suppose GnR has the option of being able to split things between two different box sets in this case, tho!

Edited by rocknroll41

Unseen Live video footage, maybe some demos. But would be cool to release, as I said, some really unseen content. Some Full Pro shots remasters in HD or Maybe 4K would be incredible! There are so many amazing shows on the tour to make it Posibble. 

Edited by Rodri99
  • Like 1