Need your help!

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah they should to do a UYI live covers album, as part of this project.

Attitude
Tie Your Mother Down
We Will Rock You
Honky Tonk Women
Mama Kin
Train Kept A Rollin'
Wild Horses
Dead Flowers
Everything
It's Alright
Dust In The Wind
Live And Let Die
Nice Boys
Hotel California / Only Women Bleed / Knockin' On Heaven's Door

:devilshades:

8 hours ago, Waemoth said:

Coma from the first show in Richfield 1991.

They fucked up the ending on that one, so I hope they don't release it... a proper mix of Coma from Chicago or Tokyo '92 would be great though.

• Like 2

So before I said the band shouldn’t even bother to include remastered versions of the original albums, and instead just focus on remixing the albums themselves and use whatever room is leftover for the bonus stuff.

Upon further thought, I realize that disregarding the original versions of the albums would be unethical, as it would make it look like the band is trying to “rewrite their own history,” so to speak. So yeah, they should make room for BOTH the original albums remastered, as well as alternate (re)mixes of all the album songs (or as many songs as possible, at least). And then still include as many discs of bonus content (demos, live stuff, new songs, etc.) as possible too, of course.

@Gordon Comstock GnR covered Hotel California? Also, what’s Everything?

Edited by rocknroll41

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

@Gordon Comstock GnR covered Hotel California?

They played it as an intro to KOHD (along with Only Women Bleed) a few times in '92. They didn't play the full song though.

edit: Everything was the intro for Nov Rain that Axl played in Sydney '93. Here's the original:

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They fucked up the ending on that one, so I hope they don't release it... a proper mix of Coma from Chicago or Tokyo '92 would be great though.

I think Richfield is the best performance of Coma, better than Tokyo, Chicago and Omaha despite them fucking up the ending. The atmosphere is nice, and Axl is singing it well with good amounts of rasp.

Edited by Waemoth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Waemoth said:

I think Richfield is the best performance of Coma, better than Tokyo, Chicago and Omaha despite them fucking up the ending. The atmosphere is nice, and Axl is singing it well with good amounts of rasp.

It was a great performance but the ending is just frustrating to listen to :lol:

I won't quote anyone directly but a few posts sound great in regards to putting together a great package.  For me to drop a lot on a super deluxe type package it needs it all.  Original two albums remastered, alternate mixes mentioned above, unreleased songs, TSI remastered with the missing tracks that didn't make the cut.  As for dvds it would need at least one never before seen full show, making videos 1-3, remastered music videos from illusions, and most of all the Perfect Crime Documentary.  Live era on vinyl if there's any vinyl in the package.  No bullshit trinkets at all!  Just music and videos.  This is my favorite era of the band so I really hope they learn from their mistakes and hit it out of the park this time.  Under $400 and I'm in.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1) unreleased songs.  Any songs that didn't make it to album but are in the vault unreleased I would love to hear remastered and officially released.  Let's get every song these boys wrote out there.

2) alternative mixes and demos!  That to me is really interesting.  I love UYI but to hear the original versions would be amazing.

3) a live show.  Dear God bring us a live show.  

• Like 1

I would also beg them to make sure whoever is the mastering engineer doesn't add needless compression to the remasters, and keeps the dynamic range intact! 

The original CDs are already teetering on the edge of that (the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab versions are a bit better) and lowering the dynamic range from where they are already (average DR of 9 and 10 respectively) would not be ideal

Edited by WhazUp

30 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I would also beg them to make sure whoever is the mastering engineer doesn't add needless compression to the remasters, and keeps the dynamic range intact! 

The original CDs are already teetering on the edge of that (the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab versions are a bit better) and lowering the dynamic range from where they are already (average DR of 9 and 10 respectively) would not be ideal

Are those the gold discs you’re talking about? I’ve always wanted to get around to finding those!

47 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

1) unreleased songs.  Any songs that didn't make it to album but are in the vault unreleased I would love to hear remastered and officially released.  Let's get every song these boys wrote out there.

This is the most important part for me!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Are those the gold discs you’re talking about? I’ve always wanted to get around to finding those!

This is the most important part for me!

Yeah the gold MFSL disks - I quite like them!  Bought them a few years ago when I saw decent price on Ebay I couldn't say no to lol

Those disks have a tad more dynamic range compared to the original albums and it is an improvement to my ears especially on headphones

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah they should to do a UYI live covers album, as part of this project. Those are great tracks that, imo, deserve to be part of the “GnR cd canon,” along with Ain’t Goin Down, the “Rumbo Tapes” bootleg songs, the TSI leftovers, etc.

There’s a great opportunity to “expand” the GnR catalog in the eyes of the masses with this. I really hope they don’t fuck it up...

EDIT: something like this would be a cool “live covers” album, me thinks (assuming they can get the license for all of these):

1.Slash Solo/ The Godfather

2.Dust in the Wind

3.Let It Be

4.Live & Let Die

5.Only Women Bleed

6.Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

7.Wild Horses

8.Dead Flowers

9.Honky Tonk Woman

10.We Will Rock You

11.Always on the Run

12.The Train Kept A-Rollin’

Also sailing

54 minutes ago, cineater said:

I'm glad somebody said it. :lol:  It was one of those wtf moments, "are you on drugs" or "what planet are you on"?  Not worth discussing, they are going to do what they are going to do.

In all honesty, I’m well aware that all of my long-winded posts are all for nothing, cause it’s not like they’ll listen to anything I say, even if the OP really does relay all of this stuff back to whomever his contact from the GnR camp or label is. That being said, coronavirus canceled all of the interesting things in my life and I’m bored, so at least pretending like I can help curate an illusions boxset that may or may not even happen gives me something to do.

14 hours ago, Waemoth said:

In terms of live performances, given that I'm not interested in 1992 I think these would be reasonable picks:

Any of the warm-up shows 1991. The live portions of the YCBM music video were filmed at these gigs, and as such they should exist in better quality than the majority of the rest of the UYI tour gigs.

Denver 1991. As stated earlier, they opened with YCBM, and this gig have my favorite performance of YCBM and Civil War. Setlist is good, and all the songs that we have from the incomplete audience recording are strong performances.

Inglewood 1991. I don't think this needs any introduction, it's the longest show of the UYI tour. Songs include Dead Horse, Locomotive and Out Ta Get Me.

Wembley 1991. Izzy's last show. Really strong performances on a lot of songs, Jungle, LALD, Civil War, YCBM, November Rain and Paradise City to name a few. If we only get one show from the UYI tour, this should be it.

Any of the December 1991 shows. The band was really good. I particularly like the second show in MSG (1991-12-10), but the third MSG show has a better setlist.

Austin 1993. First show of the Skin N' Bones tour. They played Garden Of Eden, and the performance of Nice Boys from this show might be the best one ever.

Some assorted performances of rare songs from various places might also be nice, for example:

Coma from the first show in Richfield 1991.

Back Off Bitch from the second show in Toronto 1991.

Locomotive from the first show in Mountain View 1991.

Don't Cry [Alt] from either the third show in Inglewood 1991, or from Prague 1992.

Breakdown from the second show in Worcester 1991.

Reckless Life from Boston 1993.

Dust In The Wind from one of the 1993 shows where it was played.

Dead Flowers from one of the 1993 shows where it was played.

I went to the first show in Worcester ‘91. I was 15. I can’t believe I missed breakdown. Estranged was awesome though. 

56 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

In all honesty, I’m well aware that all of my long-winded posts are all for nothing, cause it’s not like they’ll listen to anything I say, even if the OP really does relay all of this stuff back to whomever his contact from the GnR camp or label is. That being said, coronavirus canceled all of the interesting things in my life and I’m bored, so at least pretending like I can help curate an illusions boxset that may or may not even happen gives me something to do.

Have fun with it.  Just because they do this doesn't mean there can't be a new album.  It was just a shocker to poke my head up and see this when I've been waiting for the new album.  I think it's coming.  I'll just go preoccupy myself with something else.  Come get me if it happens, I don't want to miss it.

OK, I dunno if it's been mentioned before, but I think it's important and I think should be pushed, hard, and I know supposedly it's been ruined per Axl's orders, but maybe just maybe there's a chance...

THIS MIGHT BE OUR ONLY EVER CHANCE TO HEAR THE TIL '92/'93 DEMO.

33 minutes ago, bassplayer1993 said:

OK, I dunno if it's been mentioned before, but I think it's important and I think should be pushed, hard, and I know supposedly it's been ruined per Axl's orders, but maybe just maybe there's a chance...

THIS MIGHT BE OUR ONLY EVER CHANCE TO HEAR THE TIL '92/'93 DEMO.

If another copy of it really does still exist, and the band can get it back, then yeah, I agree, it should be included on this set!

But sadly, as far as we know, the only existing copy was destroyed by Axl.

The fact that the closing lyric in that version is apparently “this I love, Stephanie, I love you, Stephanie” probably means that Axl will never release it, tho.

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

If another copy of it really does still exist, and the band can get it back, then yeah, I agree, it should be included on this set!

But sadly, as far as we know, the only existing copy was destroyed by Axl.

The fact that the closing lyric in that version is apparently “this I love, Stephanie, I love you, Stephanie” probably means that Axl will never release it, tho.

Who was quoted as that being the spoken by Axl during the recording of the song.

14 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Who was quoted as that being the spoken by Axl during the recording of the song.

Dave Dominguez (studio engineer for GnR during the late 90s, and the one who had to destroy the tape of the 1992 version of TIL, under axl’s request).

• Wow 1

I have a strong feeling we will get zero live footage. They don't want to feature Matt or Izzy, they don't want to compete with their former looks, etc, etc. 

If we're lucky we will get the more raw versions of the original albums but that's doubtful as well. Since it would be kinda like Axl admitting he was wrong with adding all the extra stuff. So, no.

• Like 1