When do you think they will retire GnR?

Do you think they will bring Steve,Matt, Izzy back for a short, like 3  month American tour some day for a farewell tour?                                                                           I think TheBig3 will retire or stop GnR after Tour 2021 which was supposed to be Tour 2020, whatever it was to be called. After next year,  I predict same setlist, shows all over the world will run out of steam. They have been literally everywhere  a few times over on NITL Tour. I predict no new music. I think after Tour2021, they will put away GnR. Mission accomplished.  They had a redo, second chance at life here and did a proper UYIs with AFD etc.  To end GnR, like all acts do a goodbye, exiting stage left ,lol, farewell tour maybe around 2025. Ex. Cher has had 2-3 farewell tours. I think GnR would want Steve, Matt, Izzy  only because of getting  tickets sold out by presenting their audience with a twist. Differences could be put aside for money ,touring, playing the music. Certainly Steve, Izzy could do an American short tour. Thing is , all the guys ....I am sorry, but they are not The Stones . I dont see it. The Big 3, maybe Tour2021 will be called their Farewell tour.

Edited by Amaya
Formatting s.pace

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

They'll retire when people stop giving them money for doing next to nothing. 

I don't think that's gonna happen too soon.. They might not be able to sell out stadiums or even arenas but then they'll just scale it down, like they did in 2019..play small arenas, theaters or do a residency.. GNR will always make money in Vegas 

I think they'll retire either when one of them dies (not very likely in the near future) or when Axl thinks, he cannot perform anymore (likely to happen within the next 10 years, if he doesn't adapt the songs to the current state his voice) 

• Like 2

I doubt they'll ever do a full AFD 5 reunion. LOL at hoping for Matt or Gilby to return.

They might have a few big tours left in them, assuming touring goes back to normal by next year. I'm pretty sure they'll eventually end up back in Vegas, doing residencies for ridiculous ticket-prices. Maybe they'll do a "farewell tour" when Axl decides he's physically incapable of performing most of the songs, but it's more likely they'll just fade away without a formal announcement.

In 2026, people on here will be saying "the 10 year anniversary is the perfect time to finally release a new album".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I doubt that any of the huge rock bands that can fill a large venue today will ever really go away. Paul Stanley talks about Kiss without him. Some of those older AOR bands are already down to one player from a classic era.

”A GNR evening with Brain and Melissa featuring London Hudson and Grace McKagan” 

And you’ll buy the ticket and take that ride, don’t kid yourself!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Amaya said:

Do you think they will bring Steve,Matt, Izzy back for a short, like 3  month American tour some day for a farewell tour?                                                                  I think TheBig3 will retire or stop GnR after Tour 2021 which was supposed to be Tour 2020, whatever it was to be called. After next year,  I predict same setlist, shows all over the world will run out of steam. They have been literally everywhere  a few times over on NITL Tour. I predict no new music. I think after Tour2021, they will put away GnR. Mission accomplished.  They had a redo, second chance at life here and did a proper UYIs with AFD etc.  To end GnR, like all acts do a goodbye, exiting stage left ,lol, farewell tour maybe around 2025. Ex. Cher has had 2-3 farewell tours. I think GnR would want Steve, Matt, Izzy  only because of getting  tickets sold out by presenting their audience with a twist. Differences could be put aside for money ,touring, playing the music. Certainly Steve, Izzy could do an American short tour. Thing is , all the guys ....I am sorry, but they are not The Stones . I dont see it. The Big 3, maybe Tour2021 will be called their Farewell tour.

I don't think there's any chance of them retiring next year, not even a percentage of chance outside of some key member dying suddenly. This band is going to go until the wheels fall off, and despite your or even my lack of interest currently! the wheels are firmly on and they can still go out and make millions, even if the million are less than between 2016-2019. They can play smaller venues and arenas forever! With Slash & AXL they will almost always sell out an arena of 15-20000. Do you think GNR are a band that leaves money on the table?

In the hypothetical situation of farewell years from now, which I doubt they'd do (I think they'll do it like Rush, and quietly retire)... I think Steven would be involved and Izzy too. Can't see Matt being asked, unless he mends fences.

• Like 2

I mean, they've been creatively retired for a decade, the question basically becomes how long to do you want to see this show over and over.  Personally, I'm good and am ultimately cool with 2016 being my grand finale as a fan.

2 hours ago, Amaya said:

Do you think they will bring Steve,Matt, Izzy back for a short, like 3  month American tour some day for a farewell tour?                                                                  I think TheBig3 will retire or stop GnR after Tour 2021 which was supposed to be Tour 2020, whatever it was to be called. After next year,  I predict same setlist, shows all over the world will run out of steam. They have been literally everywhere  a few times over on NITL Tour. I predict no new music. I think after Tour2021, they will put away GnR. Mission accomplished.  They had a redo, second chance at life here and did a proper UYIs with AFD etc.  To end GnR, like all acts do a goodbye, exiting stage left ,lol, farewell tour maybe around 2025. Ex. Cher has had 2-3 farewell tours. I think GnR would want Steve, Matt, Izzy  only because of getting  tickets sold out by presenting their audience with a twist. Differences could be put aside for money ,touring, playing the music. Certainly Steve, Izzy could do an American short tour. Thing is , all the guys ....I am sorry, but they are not The Stones . I dont see it. The Big 3, maybe Tour2021 will be called their Farewell tour.

You may very well be right.  I would not be at all surprised if Axl was to retire from the band sooner rather then  later and maybe have a go at writing film scores as he has mentioned this before, relax and look after his health.

Edited by DurhamGirl

12 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I doubt they'll ever do a full AFD 5 reunion. LOL at hoping for Matt or Gilby to return.

They might have a few big tours left in them, assuming touring goes back to normal by next year. I'm pretty sure they'll eventually end up back in Vegas, doing residencies for ridiculous ticket-prices. Maybe they'll do a "farewell tour" when Axl decides he's physically incapable of performing most of the songs, but it's more likely they'll just fade away without a formal announcement.

In 2026, people on here will be saying "the 10 year anniversary is the perfect time to finally release a new album".

Hell, I'd hate to see what would happen if Axl actually learns how to adapt the songs and his voice--like Robert Plant has done with his excellent solo career. Dude is almost 80 and can still belt Zeppelin tunes well. If Axl could sound fantastic on 90% of tracks, GN'R would almost certainly never retire until his death 😂

• Like 1

They will retire when slash gets bored of not touring any new songs and leaves.

Once slash leaves they will be back to struggling to fill arenas. Surely Axl would call it a day and blame the bands retirement on Slash sparking another feud . 

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1

Just now, vloors said:

They will retire when slash gets bored of not touring any new songs and leaves.

Once slash leaves they will be back to struggling to fill arenas. Surely Axl would call it a day and blame the bands retirement on Slash. 

Slash will never leave, thanks to that ridiculous alimony of his. He’ll be playing Jungle, Sweet Child, etc over and over again, until the very end, just to pay those bills alone.

4 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I doubt they want Matt anymore. I doubt they wanted Matt ever.

And this is what I mean. I've not read the book, but you guys react in a manner which inherently protects the band.  The words that come out may be inherently tangential, but there is a nurturing and protective nature to most people here, and I think that is lost in translation sometimes.

The band want to promote family, and yet there are forums that have been around for 20 years and I think they have lost sight of this. They've been glamoured by the newness of social media and a fake fans that come with it.

• Like 1

I don't believe for a second that the band could continue without Slash again. Things were different back in '96. But in the modern day, they need him in order to keep moving forward since he is the star of the show. 

If Slash calls it quits then Axl will definitely retire touring. 

• Like 1

Look im a very optimistic mind here so i gotta say i honestly dont think theyll retire without atleast one more album. I think Axl still has them emotional connections the the hundreds of unreleased songs and he’ll complete them somehow before retirement. I think its a bit harsh to say they’ll release nothing when Hardschool was soundchecked and on setlist, Duff’s wife has heard new stuff, Nando promises new stuff (maybe not a reliable source lmao) but yeah I certainly think to not release anything at all is not very likely and very pessimistic 

• Like 2

They won't retire....but if they even consider it, you can guarantee we'll know about it! They'll run that 'retirement tour idea for as long as possible.

I'm of the view that it'll be a slow slog now, with diminishing returns. Venues will get smaller, the performances will get slower and slower and the merchandise will get more and more odd. The carrot of a 'new album' will continue to dangle.  

3 hours ago, sofine11 said:

I mean, they've been creatively retired for a decade, the question basically becomes how long to do you want to see this show over and over.  Personally, I'm good and am ultimately cool with 2016 being my grand finale as a fan.

Pretty much feel the same at this point although I’d see them live again if it was for a new album or an AFD reunion.

• Like 1