Dizzy Reed Piano Parts

Hey guys... wanted to ask something about Dizzy..

I was wondering if anyone know what Dizzy plays on songs like Pretty Tied Up, So Fine, Yesterdays, Don't Cry and Knocking on Heavens Door. 

Or maybe even all the other songs like how he plays live with GNR... does anyone know maybe how he plays them or anyone have any scores? 

please let me know... cos Im interested in how Dizzy Reed else plays like Its so easy, welcome to the jungle or other songs that he plays live... 

was interested in just how he plays them..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

He usually plays the keys and the bongos at the same time.

Yeah I know but he does play like the songs i mentioned.. Pretty Tied Up, So Fine, Yesterdays, Don't Cry and Knocking on Heavens Door... only piano.. so i was wondering if anyone has like a score sheet.. hes a great piano player

• Like 1

2 hours ago, muzzay1130 said:

Hey guys... wanted to ask something about Dizzy..

I was wondering if anyone know what Dizzy plays on songs like Pretty Tied Up, So Fine, Yesterdays, Don't Cry and Knocking on Heavens Door. 

Or maybe even all the other songs like how he plays live with GNR... does anyone know maybe how he plays them or anyone have any scores? 

please let me know... cos Im interested in how Dizzy Reed else plays like Its so easy, welcome to the jungle or other songs that he plays live... 

was interested in just how he plays them..

In terms of style, I would liken it to blues or southern blues.  You won't find sheet music or scores for stuff like Pretty Tied Up, Yesterdays, and other songs where this style is employed in the UYI songs.  

Your best bet is to learn blues scales.  Then learn the chord progression and the chord a particular song is played in.  So for Yesterdays, the song is played in D.  Get real familiar with the blues scale for D and then practice your improvisational skills.  You should then be able to pick up some of Dizzy's fills and rhythms by ear from listening to the recordings.  

Here's the chord progression for Yesterdays.  I'm sure all other GNR songs are available.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/guns-n-roses/yesterdays-chords-12732

• Like 2

Between these two representations of the tunes (One guitar and vocal sheet music, the other piano and vocal arrangements of the tunes in sheet music), you should be able to get set to emulate Dizzys parts!

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/selections-from-use-your-illusion-i-ii-for-piano-sheet-music/2989258

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/guns-n-roses-complete-volume-2-m-z-sheet-music/2989173

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

I've owned this one since 1993.  It's great for chord progressions and learning basic song structures, but it's pretty bare-bones. 

Someone wanting to play November Rain like Axl will likely be disappointed and will need to know how to fill things in quite a bit.  I believe every song has the right hand playing the melody, which obviously doesn't happen with how the songs are recorded or played live.  

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

I've owned this one since 1993.  It's great for chord progressions and learning basic song structures, but it's pretty bare-bones. 

Someone wanting to play November Rain like Axl will likely be disappointed and will need to know how to fill things in quite a bit.  I believe every song has the right hand playing the melody, which obviously doesn't happen with how the songs are recorded or played live.  

Oh, I thought he was only into Dizzy parts. Which I would think that the two books would be more than enough to outline. They work for me at least! Dizzy does some right hand melodic work. As Does Axl on his honky tonk outings, such as 14 years or a ballad like TIL. 

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh, I thought he was only into Dizzy parts. Which I would think that the two books would be more than enough to outline. They work for me at least! Dizzy does some right hand melodic work. As Does Axl on his honky tonk outings, such as 14 years or a ballad like TIL. 

Yeah. Was looking just for Dizzy parts but still all great links..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soon said:

I don't hear really any piano melody in 14 years.  It's more of a rhythm pattern that stylistically borrows a lot from Elton John where the melody sort of plays to the same beat as the piano part. 

Yes, in TIL the piano does follow the melody a lot during the verses, though a sheet music rendition where the right hand followed the melody would still fall flat if you're not well versed in scales and fills.

I assumed that the OP was asking how to play the songs in the same style and manner as Dizzy, which I don't think he'll get from the piano-book.  There are some note-for-note piano books out there for other artists (the Elton John and Billy Joel books are great), but the white Illusions book is far more basic than what is needed to play how most songs sound either in recorded or live form.  

14 minutes ago, downzy said:

I don't hear really any piano melody in 14 years.  It's more of a rhythm pattern that stylistically borrows a lot from Elton John where the melody sort of plays to the same beat as the piano part. 

Yes, in TIL the piano does follow the melody a lot during the verses, though a sheet music rendition where the right hand followed the melody would still fall flat if you're not well versed in scales and fills.

I assumed that the OP was asking how to play the songs in the same style and manner as Dizzy, which I don't think he'll get from the piano-book.  There are some note-for-note piano books out there for other artists (the Elton John and Billy Joel books are great), but the white Illusions book is far more basic than what is needed to play how most songs sound either in recorded or live form.  

You should give a fresh listen to 14 Years. It is true that he his harmonizing the core melody, so I guess on a technicality its not 'melodic' but harmonic. And we agree that something being tied to the rhythmic aspects can still be identified as "melodic." Stylistically its in the lineage of Little Richard, Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis. Basically if you have chords and melody, if one knows their inversions you just reshuffle the chord to emphasis the harmonic lines you are contributing. Thats step one of country-frying it.

I did of course present two books that I suggest would form and outline between the two of them. Because the other book I presented has all the guitar parts in sheet music. And that really ought to fill in the blanks, imo. If you can read sheet music you will know the scale as it appears on the staff.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Alot of Dizzys piano parts were inspired by Bill Powell(RIP) of Lynyrd Skynyrd and  much more bluesy like @downzy said and clinky honkey tonk  kinda vibe  then melodic classical inspired.

Yeah, the Skynyrd influences are really apparent. I personally like the Southern rock arrangements on UYI but I know I might be in the minority on that position. Kind of wish we could hear something similar from Axl going forward. 

Just now, downzy said:

Yeah, the Skynyrd influences are really apparent. I personally like the Southern rock arrangements on UYI but I know I might be in the minority on that position. Kind of wish we could hear something similar from Axl going forward. 

I have been listening to alot of Skynyrd lately(Saw them in 2014) and they are very similar to GNR  even going back to AFD.    Slash has that Gary Rossington/Paul Kossoff kinda vibe on guitar while Izzy/Fortus/Gilby do the Allen Collins rhythm thing very "funky and tight"

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Quick side question: Did Axl learn to play Piano or is he self taught? 

Like @janrichmond said, he took lessons for some years as a kid. He said he didn't really study/practice the lessons (so, as a result, he didn't perfect his technique), and he preferred to make up and play his own stuff.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, muzzay1130 said:

Thanks for all reply guys. I was also wondering if GNR piano's are all downtuned? or in what key they play in

The pianos are indeed tuned a half-step down to match the guitars. The back half of Estranged, for example, is in the key of B Major but you'll notice that Dizzy plays on all the white keys. Likewise, if you watch Axl play November Rain he's on the white keys. Definitely makes things easier when calling out the chords for guitarists!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, James Bond said:

The pianos are indeed tuned a half-step down to match the guitars. The back half of Estranged, for example, is in the key of B Major but you'll notice that Dizzy plays on all the white keys. Likewise, if you watch Axl play November Rain he's on the white keys. Definitely makes things easier when calling out the chords for guitarists!

oh really? ok... how to tune pianos? I think GnR might be the only ones to play half down tuned... maybe...