Saturday - Slash: Meet the Man Behind the Les Paul

This news should excite me, but it's discouraging because it appears to indicate there never was an album with a planned release "within six months" (which would have been spring). Then Fernando came back and said due to covid, plans changed.

So are we supposed to believe they're working on even more new music?

I'll bet there never was an album done. Sad.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

This news should excite me, but it's discouraging because it appears to indicate there never was an album with a planned release "within six months" (which would have been spring). Then Fernando came back and said due to covid, plans changed.

So are we supposed to believe their working on even more new music?

I'll bet there never was an album done. Sad.

I think you all misunderstood what Fernando said. And you are just choosing to hear what you want to believe.

He actually said that within six months there was going to be a three hour meeting to discuss the possibility of maybe talking about the potential for a future album to be quite seriously considered to be maybe worked on and even perhaps be in contention for Axl to vaguely contemplate to release. So yeah, concrete plans in the world of GnR. :P

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

I think you all misunderstood what Fernando said. And you are just choosing to hear what you want to believe.

He actually said that within six months there was going to be a three hour meeting to discuss the possibility of maybe talking about the potential for a future album to be quite seriously considered to be maybe worked on and even perhaps be in contention for Axl to vaguely contemplate to release. So yeah, concrete plans in the world of GnR. :P

Personally thats the conversation they should have had during 2017, if axl had some passion about GNR. Sounds like axl is shit scared about releasing new music, especially 4 years since NITL started. If axl is "vaguely contemplating" releasing new material then axl is quite content with GNR being a touring band only and the only "new" song that will be added to the setlist is a reworked 20 to 30 year old song.

Edited by Sydney Fan

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Personally thats the conversation they should have had during 2017, if axl had some passion about GNR. Sounds like axl is shit scared about releasing new music, especially 4 years since NITL started. If axl is "vaguely contemplating" releasing new material then axl is quite content with GNR being a touring band only and the only "new" song that will be added to the setlist is a reworked 20 to 30 year old song.

Slash just said the opposite of that !!!!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, registra said:

The chorus is where it's kicks in I think, definitely could be a pretty great GNR song with Slash/Duff input. Also, trying say a song as bad off a 15 seconds soundbite from a rehearsal doesn't make much sense when the full song is available and most who've heard it agree it's a pretty great song.

Did I say it was a bad song? I just said the clip I heard didn't excite me.. Axl's voice was the biggest turn off

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

This is the feeling I get too, unfortunately. Oh well. We just take what we can get I guess lol. I’ve learned to adopt a defeatist mentality when it comes to GnR. In any case, I’ll be interested to hear what Aint Goin Down sounds like live next year.

HERE IS THE REAL DEAL: people are asking for refunds due to the coronavius and the postponement of all tours. They are not filling up stadiums anymore in 2019/2020, they are afraid of people asking for refunds and some shows being permamently cancelled because of a lack of audience. So, here they come with "working on new music" again: so people still get putting some attention to the band!

Just forget it! They are lying since 2012.

There was plenty of time to release something, a single song for what is worth. They rerecorded Shadow of Your Love for God's sake.

There was never an album in the making for the first months of 2020, there was never a plan that got set back due to covid and let me tell you something: those GNR Selects are the most unpolished, amateur and shamefull material a band could ever release (learn something with Metallica, Radiohead, Pearl Jam).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legendador said:

HERE IS THE REAL DEAL: people are asking for refunds due to the coronavius and the postponement of all tours. They are not filling up stadiums anymore in 2019/2020, they are afraid of people asking for refunds and some shows being permamently cancelled because of a lack of audience. So, here they come with "working on new music" again: so people still get putting some attention to the band!

Just forget it! They are lying since 2012.

There was plenty of time to release something, a single song for what is worth. They rerecorded Shadow of Your Love for God's sake.

There was never an album in the making for the first months of 2020, there was never a plan that got set back due to covid and let me tell you something: those GNR Selects are the most unpolished, amateur and shamefull material a band could ever release (learn something with Metallica, Radiohead, Pearl Jam).

I have to agree, with everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sofine11 said:

There was a time when news of Slash writing demos and recording guitar parts for Guns would have overloaded this place with traffic.  Now, thanks to fuck-face Fernando paired with Axl's inability to be forward thinking and get shit done, it's met with a collective "Meh." from the fanbase.  No one can be bothered to even pretend to give a fuck anymore, because we know it all means fuck all until they actually make it a reality.

Well done GNR, you pack of fucking morons. No one cares.

Someone leak The General and Zodiac so we can all move on with our damn lives and put this insufferable shit show to bed already. 

Don’t forget Seven! Lol

EDIT: and Soul Monster with vocals and Berlin with vocals! Those are the most important!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Don’t forget Seven! Lol

EDIT: and Soul Monster with vocals and Berlin with vocals! Those are the most important!

Really, anything from the vault during the Chi Dem recordings.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2020 at 10:36 AM, EricA said:

oh dear, sounds like you found the right excuse for no new music next year:(

Ah you can do both in one year, you just space it out correctly. Don't release both in the summer. Summer release, christmas release. 

Now, I'm not saying g they will... I have lost all hope for them.to do anything. When or IF something is ready then I'll hear about it, but I'm so far removed from searching for clues. Guessing from those comments that the album isn't done but they are "seriously looking" at doing something. Right track, but they are years behind.

It started off where anytime Slash mentioned new material it excited me (like him bringing his amps to Axl's place that one time) but I am realizing that we are at the point where even Slash's statements just don't bring much hope to me because ultimately Axl is still apparently the one calling the shots of when this material will actually see the light of day

On 6/28/2020 at 2:31 PM, Tom-Ass said:

The clip I heard from that soundcheck sure didn't seem like anything to get excited about. Maybe if Axl didn't sound like crap...

I really liked Duff's new bass intro and the new Slash licks over the top.... thought it had potential

• Like 2

On 27.6.2020 at 9:28 PM, GNRfanJen said:

I went ahead and listened to it. This is what he said: 

"I've been jamming with Duff, and I've been jamming with Axl, and I've been doing stuff like that; so we've been getting some work done that way. I'm basically just focusing on writing new music, recording demos and recording guitar stuff for Guns." 

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

All slash said was that he was jamming with axl and duff. No mention of new music, unless someone can post otherwise?.

Just look above. That's clearly a mention of new music, isn't it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WhazUp said:

It started off where anytime Slash mentioned new material it excited me (like him bringing his amps to Axl's place that one time) but I am realizing that we are at the point where even Slash's statements just don't bring much hope to me because ultimately Axl is still apparently the one calling the shots of when this material will actually see the light of day

Yeah, that’s the thing. Slash had a Guns album in ‘94... was likely close to another in ‘96... and now another in 2020. That’s what he does. 

The only thing standing in the way of a new GNR album...

Axl’s voice

Axl’s vocal melodies

Axl’s lyrics

Axl’s interest / inspiration / creative state / work ethic / drive 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

He doesn't specifically say new music in GnR though. He just says he's recording guitar stuff for Guns (if we're interpreting his quote literally).

Agree!. 

Recording guitar stuff could mean anything. I dont know why, if they are putting together ideas for a new album why they cant say it. 🤷‍♂️. Yeah the media will ask if there is a date for release of new material, and they can say no, We are taking time with it. If metallica can be open and say yes we are working on new material, what cant GNR. This is almost 96 all over again.

I dont know why things with this band are so hard.

21 minutes ago, Creed said:

What i never got, is...If Axl was out of lyrical creativity...which is absolutely ok...why didnt he bring back Izzy or any other writer for him? Its super difficult to write lyrics for CD stuff.

So what will axl cover for lyrics, trump or stephanie i wonder?.

I just hope izzy has some sort of lyrical input.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree!. 

Recording guitar stuff could mean anything. I dont know why, if they are putting together ideas for a new album why they cant say it. 🤷‍♂️. Yeah the media will ask if there is a date for release of new material, and they can say no, We are taking time with it. If metallica can be open and say yes we are working on new material, what cant GNR. This is almost 96 all over again.

I dont know why things with this band are so hard.

So what will axl cover for lyrics, trump or stephanie i wonder?.

I just hope izzy has some sort of lyrical input.

I'm not sure Izzy is going to be involved.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Reminder of what Slash said in recent interviews before this one:

Slash: "I think at the end of the day, everybody wants to have a full album released. I don't think that's really changed all that much. But there's a different way of putting stuff out initially nowadays more so than… I mean, there's always been the single, but now you sort of look at that preliminary release a little bit differently now. All things considered, it's like the Wild West out there; there is no formula for any of it. [Laughs] I haven't seen any routine kind of thing that works. I mean, you can do any one of a million different things to releasing a record. But at the end of the day, I think that we will ultimately release a full album."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4222-2019-09-09-sirius-xm-trunk-nation-interview-with-slash

Speaking of Guns, have you got anything more you can share about the new album?

Slash: “There’s been no definitive answer on anything and I’ll just keep to that. Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It’s just like, how do you want to do this? I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.”

The music industry in 2020 is a lot different to the last time you all made a Guns record.

Slash: “Yeah! And there’s a handful people who said, ’Yeah, make a record and go old school’. And there’s a handful of people that are like, ’We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!’”

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4378-2020-01-22-guitar-com-slash-on-his-new-gibson-collection-playing-with-his-friends-and-the-new-gn-r-album

Jude Gold: Do you play the original Appetite guitar that much? Does it sit behind...

Slash: No, actually I just took it back to the locker the other day. I had it in the studio working on some Guns stuff, so...

Jude Gold: And so what is the plan for Guns? There is a tour coming up?

Slash: There’s everything!

Jude Gold: You still didn’t put something new, I mean...

Slash: No, there’s a new... We’re doing a show for the Super Bowl series and then we’re doing a South American tour, and a European tour in the summer and also coming back to the States. And it is not the Not In This Lifetime Tour. So it’s not labeled that.

Jude Gold: Are you tracking right now? New stuff?

Slash: Oh, there’s all kinds of stuff going on.

Jude Gold: Yeah, all kind of stuff going on.

Slash: (Laughs)

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4674-2020-03-16-no-guitar-is-safe-podcast-a-chat-with-slash

Reading that again it almost sounds like he himself doesn't really know what's going to happen in regards to new music. He's just recording stuff as needed. Clearly he knows how to release records on his own.

• Like 1

Axl is probably the reason why it's slow and there is still no release after 4 years of Slash and Duff being in the band but the huge tour and the AC/DC thing were maybe all that Axl focused on and now they can't tour.

there's a chance Axl has shifted his focus to working on the record and at least they're working on it now (I believe Slash and Susan) so that does has value.

Hypothetically speaking, if they complete an album and Axl is pleased with it's quality, my guess is he will try to release it and probably only when they'll be able to support it with a tour but sounds like it's far from complete so it makes little difference if they're only interested in releasing something and touring it right away imo.

the unusual and unfortunate circumstances with the epidemic can lead Slash to possibly come up with a lot of new Guns material and cool ideas he can add to existing tunes.

also from the latest Slash interview it seems he's taking a bit of a different approach to it (no rush) that's also a good thing as Slash usually doesn't really labors over an idea for too long, it's a more organic approach, writing while on tour. Maybe writing at home will lead to a more focused effort. (his usual output is important for me and is cool, but for Gn'R it seems the bar is set higher)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1