SLASH Is 'Focusing On Writing New Music' And 'Recording Guitar Stuff' For GUNS N' ROSES

4 hours ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Huh.. Saw them in a 14,000 capacity venue in Ireland and it was pretty full. 

the 3 is about 14000 capacity, but I think the official sales for Slash were closer to 7 or 8000 if memory serves.... Now, he did great to do those sales! but! he won't repeat that with his solo band now that he's back in gnr. Had he stayed with his solo band and never rejoined GNR he was climbing in popularity, but you can't take the pedal of the gas on one thing and jump around and expect things to be like they were when you left off... with the exception of huge bands.

9 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

As a new 'fan' I have been reading historic posts, I am shocked to find that exactly the same thing was being asked about 'new music' etc, this is over ten years ago.  I wonder why such confusing messages are constantly thrown out to their fan base, what is the point, why not just have an intelligent and honest conversation regarding GnR plans.   

Try discovering this band in 1999🤣this has been going on forever, and before my time it was going on! sure even between AFD and UYI there was an eternity. There will be more quotes from Slash and co about demoing material after this... and that's exactly why I'm not excited about this in any way. I will happily listen to whatever is released, but I can't be arsed getting my hopes up for anything.

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Try discovering this band in 1999🤣this has been going on forever, and before my time it was going on! sure even between AFD and UYI there was an eternity. There will be more quotes from Slash and co about demoing material after this... and that's exactly why I'm not excited about this in any way. I will happily listen to whatever is released, but I can't be arsed getting my hopes up for anything.

Between AFD n UYI was nothing.... 

12 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Between AFD n UYI was nothing.... 

4 years for a brand new band? that's a long time with or without a EP. That's nothing for GNR, but in other new bands where they might have 2, 3 or 4 albums in that timeframe it's a long stretch without a new album.

8 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

I trust Slash and he is not the problem. He likes creating new music no doupt. If he wants new music, he make new music. I'm 100% sure

There is a another huge problem we still haven't new music... but not because of Slash

True enough....however the flip side is that Slash has been accused of quantity over quality at times. So if it takes time to get the best results through working on ideas that extra bit then OK (although there has to be a time when they have to say ‘OK - let’s let it go’.

3 hours ago, dando said:

Being a 2nd headliner at a festival... Its not their crowd, ive seen them twice here in the uk, wasn't 5k at both shows combined, they dont play the big arenas here

Isn't it something like 300k a month she's getting 

First time I saw SMKC was at Manchester Arena in 2014. Not all sections were open, sure, but it was still easily 10,000+ that night. He also played Leeds Arena, the NEC, and Wembley Arena during that same leg.

The reason Slash doesn't play big shows with the Conspirators is because it doesn't want or have to. The World on Fire tour was an arena tour across Europe, but as soon as he rejoined Guns he went back to playing theatres and ball halls with The Conspirators – because he could. He's always said he prefers smaller venues, so if he's playing stadiums and arenas with his 'day job', it makes sense to have fun playing the smaller places with his passion project if he's able to.

6 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

First time I saw SMKC was at Manchester Arena in 2014. Not all sections were open, sure, but it was still easily 10,000+ that night. He also played Leeds Arena, the NEC, and Wembley Arena during that same leg.

The reason Slash doesn't play big shows with the Conspirators is because it doesn't want or have to. The World on Fire tour was an arena tour across Europe, but as soon as he rejoined Guns he went back to playing theatres and ball halls with The Conspirators – because he could. He's always said he prefers smaller venues, so if he's playing stadiums and arenas with his 'day job', it makes sense to have fun playing the smaller places with his passion project if he's able to.

Doncaster dome, about 2k there, apollo at Manchester, i guess about 1500 to 2k

I bet there wasn't 10k in Manchester arena, the whole top tier was closed off 

Wembley arena and the NEC, both the 2nd biggest arenas in their cities.. Im not saying its a bad band, i just think Myles is a bit dull... I bet neither arena was sold out 

Edited by dando

20 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Last time I saw GNR they played the new AT&T Cowboy stadium. It looked sold out to me. You should have seen the Pit. It was crazy.

Yea they were selling out stadiums in 2016, but by 2019 they were reduced to festivals, arenas and theatres. Even in 2017 they weren't selling out some arenas.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

15 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Last time I saw GNR they played the new AT&T Cowboy stadium. It looked sold out to me. You should have seen the Pit. It was crazy.

Those pits only hold a few people as arenas are all seated on the floor. Can't have been too crazy! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Maybe some years ago he did those places....but Doncaster is 2,000 capacity and wasn't sold out last UK tour. 

His popularity isn't what it was. 

5 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Fuck CD2, the less heard of it, the better. Duff and Slash are back. That is all that is interesting. What they can come up with Axl.

TSI 2 or Use Your Illusion 3

I'd be willing to bet the 2008-2014 version of CD2 would be better than the best of both of the above.

Edited by Sweersa

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

4 years for a brand new band? that's a long time with or without a EP. That's nothing for GNR, but in other new bands where they might have 2, 3 or 4 albums in that timeframe it's a long stretch without a new album.

Was not a big wait for the fans/ppl. AFD became known in 1988.... we had a lot of Mtv with them, interviews, they were everywhere, released Lies... and they started a giant tour with new music before Uyi. That was fast.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Maybe some years ago he did those places....but Doncaster is 2,000 capacity and wasn't sold out last UK tour. 

His popularity isn't what it was. 

Doncaster was definitely sold out and felt over capacity – I was at that gig and there were people passing out at the back. I was at Manchester too, that was a sell-out, 3,500 at the Apollo.

If anything him returning to GN'R has kept his popularity up. 

Regardless, I stand by what I said about smaller venues. He could play arenas with SMKC if he wanted to, but it's pretty clear he simply doesn't want to

Edited by DoMw94
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Was not a big wait for the fans/ppl. AFD became known in 1988.... we had a lot of Mtv with them, interviews, they were everywhere, released Lies... and they started a giant tour with new music before Uyi. That was fast.

Great example of revisionism that GNR fans do oh so well.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Doncaster was definitely sold out and felt over capacity – I was at that gig and there were people passing out at the back. I was at Manchester too, that was a sell-out, 3,500 at the Apollo.

If anything him returning to GN'R has kept his popularity up. 

Regardless, I stand by what I said about smaller venues. He could play arenas with SMKC if he wanted to, but it's pretty clear he simply doesn't want to

As was I. It did feel rather busy at the back, but was fine at the front and the ticket office were selling tickets on the door. Perhaps they were overselling? 

Edit: I had a look back at the Doncaster Dome Twitter account. It was 'sold out' at one point then a week or so before the gig more tickets were released. So it would have been that later allocation that they were selling on the night. 

If he could fill arenas he would be doing them. As evidenced by the fact he has done before, and by the fact that some of the European dates were in arenas. 

He simply doesn't draw in the UK like he once did. That varies from country to country, as shown by the differing venue sizes. 

Edited by allwaystired

22 minutes ago, dando said:

Maybe not in America but Europe was rammed at every show

Yea I was just talking about the US shows. It's different in Europe because they haven't toured there as often as North America, they haven't over-saturated the market and can still play big festivals and stadiums. The novelty of the reunion seems to have worn off in the US though. That's not a shot at the band either, playing to a few thousand people is still considered successful obviously, but it was inevitable that people would lose interest without something new.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

It's not revisionism so much. I was around, and it's true that most of the world didn't know of GnR and AFD before the second half of 1988 and the success of SCOM, so for most people time started counting from then. The Paradise City single and video was released in early 1989, and there was also Lies and the Patience single and video that was released later. So for most of 1989 they were still living off of the success of AFD and Lies. The anticipation for the next album started growing in 1990 and it did feel long from then until the Illusions were finally released (especially because the tentative release dates were pushed back a few times). But it definitely wasn't a 4 years wait for most and it's not comparable with what happened in the pre- and post- CD eras.

Reading through the interviews, articles, rumours etc. from the pre-CD era, it was really frustrating then and I think it was worse than now. People have been talking about Fernando's irresponsibility for "promising" new music in six months etc. as something that has only occurred during TB's time, but it was something that had happened a few times in 2000 and 2001 with "promises" and announcements (and through more official channels) from the then management. And it wasn't only the album that wouldn't be released then - tours and shows would also get cancelled. And then from 2003 to 2005, absolutely nothing.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea I was just talking about the US shows. It's different in Europe because they haven't toured there as often as North America, they haven't over-saturated the market and can still play big festivals and stadiums. The novelty of the reunion seems to have worn off in the US though. That's not a shot at the band either, playing to a few thousand people is still considered successful obviously, but it was inevitable that people would lose interest without something new.

The thing with europe too, they dont put fucking seats on the deck and let us stand, i know u do once the gig starts but the whole atmosphere is deferent, plus American crowds seem a bit boring compared to here in Europe and South America 

This is from 2001:

https://web.archive.org/web/20011107032144/http://www.petitiononline.com/Yanz76/petition.html

(I guess the fans who had signed it didn't imagine that there would be 6 years until the album was released).

This what the official GnR site looked like in February 2003 (the news section hadn't been updated since Sept. 2002 and there were still the 2002 tour dates):

https://web.archive.org/web/20030227081652/http://www.gnronline.com/news/index.asp

Then in March 2003 it was updated with this message:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030801075433/http://www.gnronline.com/news/index.asp

(Guess what: there would be no news and information for the next three years)

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

WTF are you smoking????  The time between AFD and UYI, they were everywhere. They had a killer performance of Welcome to the Jungle on MTV VMA, Axl and Izzy performed with Tom Petty for VMA, GNR opened for the Rolling Stones, Knocking on Heaven's Door was on Days of Thunder soundtrack, GNR Lies was released, the infamous performance at Farm Aid, etc. I'm not sure what more  you expect from GNR during that time frame.