SLASH Is 'Focusing On Writing New Music' And 'Recording Guitar Stuff' For GUNS N' ROSES

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

It's not revisionism so much. I was around, and it's true that most of the world didn't know of GnR and AFD before the second half of 1988 and the success of SCOM, so for most people time started counting from then. The Paradise City single and video was released in early 1989, and there was also Lies and the Patience single and video that was released later. So for most of 1989 they were still living off of the success of AFD and Lies. The anticipation for the next album started growing in 1990 and it did feel long from then until the Illusions were finally released (especially because the tentative release dates were pushed back a few times). But it definitely wasn't a 4 years wait for most and it's not comparable with what happened in the pre- and post- CD eras.

Reading through the interviews, articles, rumours etc. from the pre-CD era, it was really frustrating then and I think it was worse than now. People have been talking about Fernando's irresponsibility for "promising" new music in six months etc. as something that has only occurred during TB's time, but it was something that had happened a few times in 2000 and 2001 with "promises" and announcements (and through more official channels) from the then management. And it wasn't only the album that wouldn't be released then - tours and shows would also get cancelled. And then from 2003 to 2005, absolutely nothing.

Interesting in oz, lies came out from memory in 89, i remember because i got the vinyl and still have it. The patience video and single were everywhere. I was 14 and a HUGE fan then so i remember this period well. In a monthly music magazine i used to subscribe through in my teen years "hot metal" during 89 the band were doing interviews in oz magazines and we did get the usual mags, hit parader, circus, metal edge. So from a fans perpective gnr were an active band. By 1990 news at least down here were scarce. The only things that were being reported was a neighbour taking out a restraining order against axl, izzys plane urinating incident and from 90 to early 91 Hot Metal were updating that the band were working on their next album. Then further news the album may be released as a double album. In terms of the illusions it felt there wasnt much being known as to how illusions was going to be released. But from 90 to illusions being released news of the band recording was extremely scarce. I would say worse than now. Having slash mention they are working and jamming at least gives me hope.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

WTF are you smoking????  The time between AFD and UYI, they were everywhere. They had a killer performance of Welcome to the Jungle on MTV VMA, Axl and Izzy performed with Tom Petty for VMA, GNR opened for the Rolling Stones, Knocking on Heaven's Door was on Days of Thunder soundtrack, GNR Lies was released, the infamous performance at Farm Aid, etc. I'm not sure what more  you expect from GNR during that time frame.

Ok... are we really counting Lies? I mean, two new songs and a few covers? It's a bunch of bsides with one great song (Patience). 

Ok, it wasn't an eternity, but when you take other successful bands and look at their output in the early stages of their careers GNR are on a complete go slow... and yeah, they had a huge album and they had to tour, blah, blah! The favourite example of a right way of doing things is Metallica... releases 1983, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1991 compared to GnR 1987, 1991, 2008. But you can do the same with popular bands throughout history The Beatles, Toto, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Aerosmith etc. so many bands... and that's what I'm smoking, what are you smoking? ;) 

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's not revisionism so much. I was around, and it's true that most of the world didn't know of GnR and AFD before the second half of 1988 and the success of SCOM, so for most people time started counting from then. The Paradise City single and video was released in early 1989, and there was also Lies and the Patience single and video that was released later. So for most of 1989 they were still living off of the success of AFD and Lies. The anticipation for the next album started growing in 1990 and it did feel long from then until the Illusions were finally released (especially because the tentative release dates were pushed back a few times). But it definitely wasn't a 4 years wait for most and it's not comparable with what happened in the pre- and post- CD eras.

Reading through the interviews, articles, rumours etc. from the pre-CD era, it was really frustrating then and I think it was worse than now. People have been talking about Fernando's irresponsibility for "promising" new music in six months etc. as something that has only occurred during TB's time, but it was something that had happened a few times in 2000 and 2001 with "promises" and announcements (and through more official channels) from the then management. And it wasn't only the album that wouldn't be released then - tours and shows would also get cancelled. And then from 2003 to 2005, absolutely nothing.

It's not the same as the wait for CD, I wouldn't argue that. At the end of the day it all worked out to some degree, they sold millions of albums but they were far from flat  out going from Slash's recollection in his book. Anyway, my reply to Draguns sums up what I was trying to say.

3 hours ago, axlvai said:

Was not a big wait for the fans/ppl. AFD became known in 1988.... we had a lot of Mtv with them, interviews, they were everywhere, released Lies... and they started a giant tour with new music before Uyi. That was fast.

I know the history, but I'm talking about comparisons with other popular acts and the output is not stacking up. And it was the tail end of 87 that AFD started picking up momentum, but it came out in July of 87, UYI came out in September 91 so there's a 4yr period where they worked AFD, and as I said to Draguns Lies is a collection of B-sides, filler and Patience I just don't view it as anything more than a single + a few add ons...

At the time of course it was all great, GNR were on MTV there was new videos, and momentum etc. but I'm strictly talking about something else, which is proper LP releases as per the usual release trajectory of a young artist. I can't argue that the period between 87-90 didn't make the band a lot of money or build fan awareness it was clearly successful but again, I'm not arguing about any of that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I know the history, but I'm talking about comparisons with other popular acts and the output is not stacking up. And it was the tail end of 87 that AFD started picking up momentum, but it came out in July of 87, UYI came out in September 91 so there's a 4yr period where they worked AFD, and as I said to Draguns Lies is a collection of B-sides, filler and Patience I just don't view it as anything more than a single + a few add ons...

At the time of course it was all great, GNR were on MTV there was new videos, and momentum etc. but I'm strictly talking about something else, which is proper LP releases as per the usual release trajectory of a young artist. I can't argue that the period between 87-90 didn't make the band a lot of money or build fan awareness it was clearly successful but again, I'm not arguing about any of that.

I think the issue is around gnr being "idle" and the downtime from i suppose 89 to 91. Its 2 years but probably seems like years compared to bands like metallica you mentioned who had albums from 83,84,86 and the amount of touring in between. It seems gnr didnt maybe have a plan on working on an album after the AFD tour. We have the mates rehearsals from 89 so the band were in work mode, but then from 90 you have stevens drug issues, and lawsuit and courtcase, rape allegations, assault courtcases against axl from erin. Then the band lay low and their drug use skyrockets until sometime 90 early 91 when they straighten their heads and work on illusions.

This band has never been the norm :lol:

Edited by Sydney Fan

11 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Keep hearing this about his alimony. What kind of deal did perla get? they were divorced before he joined guns, her settlement would have been based on his GnR royalties and his SMKC earnings. And if somehow she managed to get a % of everything else he earns on top of that, its hardly going to be more than 10-20%, people keep this myth up that slash is in GnR to pay his $400m dollar per month alimony. I don't even remember this making the news, it seems to be a myth spoken as fact that slash has an extortionate alimony check. I'd love to be shown how much it really is, coz he must have earned over $100m for GnR 2016-2020 plus SMKC stuff

She got 6 million, and for every year for the rest of her life, a little over a million plus the kids  get a % of his earnings up until like ,I think 30 years old 

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think the issue is around gnr being "idle" and the downtime from i suppose 89 to 91. Its 2 years but probably seems like years compared to bands like metallica you mentioned who had albums from 83,84,86 and the amount of touring in between. It seems gnr didnt maybe have a plan on working on an album after the AFD tour. We have the mates rehearsals from 89 so the band were in work mode, but then from 90 you have stevens drug issues, and lawsuit and courtcase, rape allegations, assault courtcases against axl from erin. Then the band lay low and their drug use skyrockets until sometime 90 early 91 when they straighten their heads and work on illusions.

This band has never been the norm :lol:

Oh I agree with all of this, especially that last line!

• Like 1

Ok. You got it straight from the source,  him. Slash. He said during this situation he is working on new things with his team, his band, his business partners  of Axl n Duff.  All you can do is wait until nextbyear, 2021, and see what happens. I predict you will have newbmusic. I am not intetested. I think the Izzy working with them is as about as over 8 track tapes. No , never Matt n Steve. I predict sold out and selling out of shows the next tour 2021 and you all will buy that ticket. I saw my one show. Good enough for past memories for me. I predict a Vegas residency for 2021. Sold out show every show.                                                                                                                      What do you think the new music will like? I think some love songs ,but rocki'n. I think songs will be  about parenting and the planet and world, but rock'in. Songs about time, lost of time ...songs with a purpose and rockin'. Deep songs. 

3 hours ago, Draguns said:

WTF are you smoking????  The time between AFD and UYI, they were everywhere. They had a killer performance of Welcome to the Jungle on MTV VMA, Axl and Izzy performed with Tom Petty for VMA, GNR opened for the Rolling Stones, Knocking on Heaven's Door was on Days of Thunder soundtrack, GNR Lies was released, the infamous performance at Farm Aid, etc. I'm not sure what more  you expect from GNR during that time frame.

I don't smoke :P, but yes to everything you said.  Those years,  up to and  during UYIs tour, were so different. Radio, print media, tv, awards shows, interviews, buying albums n tickets and more.    GnR was on RS cover 2-3 times and Axl was on the cover once by himself.                                                           Off topic, but VRevolver was all over the place on VH1, radio, good selling tour etc. and more.

6 minutes ago, Amaya said:

I don't smoke :P, but yes to everything you said.  Those years,  up to and  during UYIs tour, were so different. Radio, print media, tv, awards shows, interviews, buying albums n tickets and more.    GnR was on RS cover 2-3 times and Axl was on the cover once by himself.                                                           Off topic, but VRevolver was all over the place on VH1, radio, good selling tour etc. and more.

I think Axl was on the cover twice.

I think S, MK and TC did well. It did what they wanted it to do. I think Slash continue with HIS BAND MKnTC until  he and MK want to call it a day or it is not profitable. There ,Slash is his own boss so to say with MK. Common sense. Everyone likes his own thing. Very different business stuff than Axl's group, GnR, with S n D. Duff has his own many projects as well. 

2 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I think Axl was on the cover twice.

Thnx. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yes saw them at Qudos in early 2019. Cant beleive they played there. Was very surprised, but good show.

Yeah, I was at that show too, had floor tickets for it. Slash and the band were fantastic. And I was impressed that the band only played one GN’R song too (Nightrain), and the crowd still loved it. Ballsy move, to show that Slash was confident enough in his own solo material

That alone should tell you how well received SMKC are by the general public - they can play a full 2 hour set of nearly all their own songs, and still impress a crowd of 10,000 :headbang:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is from 2001:

https://web.archive.org/web/20011107032144/http://www.petitiononline.com/Yanz76/petition.html

(I guess the fans who had signed it didn't imagine that there would be 6 years until the album was released).

This what the official GnR site looked like in February 2003 (the news section hadn't been updated since Sept. 2002 and there were still the 2002 tour dates):

https://web.archive.org/web/20030227081652/http://www.gnronline.com/news/index.asp

Then in March 2003 it was updated with this message:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030801075433/http://www.gnronline.com/news/index.asp

(Guess what: there would be no news and information for the next three years)

Really interesting,, I think the chaos is a reflection of Axls' mind, it must be torture for him at times.  Do you know whether Axl responded to the petition or not?

17 hours ago, Dean said:

I'm a massive fan of Queen and I am of the belief Mercury is the greatest of all time, however, the only thing preventing Axl surpassing Fred is the lack of material. I'm still really hopeful.

If things continue to progress the way they have been, it's definitely a possibility. Who knows?

Agree on freddy. I have to ask what show is the axl photo from your avatar..i like the pic. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

12 hours ago, Amaya said:

She got 6 million, and for every year for the rest of her life, a little over a million plus the kids  get a % of his earnings up until like ,I think 30 years old 

Thanks. So Slash's current net worth is estimated to be $90-100m so he could easily never work again and lose all earnings, pay her off, pay his kids, live another 20 years spending $2m per year and still have change. So this divorce stuff is nonsense. And in reality he's probably going to release and tour another SMKC album, a gnr album and tour, plus merch plus royalties. So he has no obligation to be in GnR to pay Perla off. #MythBusters

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Thanks. So Slash's current net worth is estimated to be $90-100m so he could easily never work again and lose all earnings, pay her off, pay his kids, live another 20 years spending $2m per year and still have change. So this divorce stuff is nonsense. And in reality he's probably going to release and tour another SMKC album, a gnr album and tour, plus merch plus royalties. So he has no obligation to be in GnR to pay Perla off. #MythBusters

Ill never understand why slash never gave, or she probabky didnt want to accept, a one lump payment. But hes stupid not to have done a prenup. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Yeah, I was at that show too, had floor tickets for it. Slash and the band were fantastic. And I was impressed that the band only played one GN’R song too (Nightrain), and the crowd still loved it. Ballsy move, to show that Slash was confident enough in his own solo material

That alone should tell you how well received SMKC are by the general public - they can play a full 2 hour set of nearly all their own songs, and still impress a crowd of 10,000 :headbang:

Im glad he didnt play SCOM. I think the only band who should be playing that should be GNR themselves.

• Like 1

On 3.7.2020 at 3:57 PM, Dean said:

If things continue to progress the way they have been, it's definitely a possibility. Who knows?

The shows are in SA, where the virus is just getting started and the numbers of cases and deaths are going through the roof 

There's absolutely no way that there will be live shows in SA (or anywhere else in the world) this year 

Edited by SAU3R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

I think it's madness to assume that Slash's highly costly divorce didn't and doesn't play at least some part in his rejoining GNR. 

Why the hash tag? 

16 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think it's madness to assume that Slash's highly costly divorce didn't and doesn't play at least some part in his rejoining GNR. 

Why the hash tag? 

If you think twice it lacks of any logic. IF he still would have stayed married to Perla, what would have been the reason to refuse the money at this point, and not to have a better financial life with his wife and 2 kids?

So no, even if it was all about the money, he would have come back with or without the divorce.

And here's another hash tag:

#slash&perladivorcediscussionisboring

13 minutes ago, EricA said:

If you think twice it lacks of any logic. IF he still would have stayed married to Perla, what would have been the reason to refuse the money at this point, and not to have a better financial life with his wife and 2 kids?

So no, even if it was all about the money, he would have come back with or without the divorce.

And here's another hash tag:

#slash&perladivorcediscussionisboring

It's just bonkers to assume that someone going through a very expensive thing won't look at something very lucrative with a slightly different attitude. Would it have happened without the divorce? Who knows. Wild speculation. Why does anyone refuse money? 

I'm baffled as to why people are using hashtags on a forum to be honest.