Unreleased Greatest Hits

I’m trying to find the tracklist for the unreleased GN’R “The Very Best of” 2 disc set that was unreleased circa 2006. Someone posted the artwork and songs on here years ago and I had it saved for ages but I lost it and can’t seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone help me and please post the order of songs? The only thing I’ve got saved is the front cover artwork which is the red Chinese design that states “GN’R: Welcome to the Jungle - The Very Best of Guns N’ Roses” You know the one I mean. It had Black Leather and Locomotive in it.

gnr_cds.jpggnr_cover01.jpggnr_cover02.jpg

This is what I was able to find from an old HTGTH thread - obviously, the original images are higher res. Sadly, I also lost my original images.

I remember some fan made a high resolution version based on the covers here.

As for the tracklist, Troccoli's test pressing has a complete tracklist:

ShHi9ek.jpgGPsvNFt.jpg

Something quite interesting, Troccoli found a single CD, different copy on eBay with a different tracklist, track lengths, and "Pretty Tied Up" is spelt wrong. This particular copy is dated 11/10/2005, and Troccoli's copy is dated 1/26/2006 & 1/30/2006 so the tracklist has been changed around a little bit.

LKrHgvq.jpg

Edited by Shackler's
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Shackler's said:

Agreed. They should've gone with one of the classic GNR logos, so casuals can recognize it at Walmart.

Yeah. The cover looks so amateur it's unreal. You'd think it was shit if it was a bootleg! 

At that point though weren't there issues with the classic logos, around Slash's ownership? 

I note Shadow Of Your Love is on there.....i know the conspiracy theorists think he version on AFD Deluxe has had recent overdubs (I personally don’t) but makes you wonder - is this the same version or a different one?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I note Shadow Of Your Love is on there.....i know the conspiracy theorists think he version on AFD Deluxe has had recent overdubs (I personally don’t) but makes you wonder - is this the same version or a different one?

That could be the one from this EP, but I'm not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N'_Roses_(EP)

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

SOYL...from what I remember, that song was originally recorded for but not used on "Live Like A Suicide" and as all tracks from that EP it was a live-in-one-take studio recording, the songs that ended up on LLAS had audience added on later in post production. The studio recording of SOYL was officially released as track 3 on the "Live And Let Die" CD-Single in 1991, it stated "live" in the inlay, however it was a live in the studio recording. The version on the AFD box set is the same just remastered and with different EQ, sounds more polished and less edge but it's the same (at least to my ears).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

That could be the one from this EP, but I'm not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N'_Roses_(EP)

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

SOYL...from what I remember, that song was originally recorded for but not used on "Live Like A Suicide" and as all tracks from that EP it was a live-in-one-take studio recording, the songs that ended up on LLAS had audience added on later in post production. The studio recording of SOYL was officially released as track 3 on the "Live And Let Die" CD-Single in 1991, it stated "live" in the inlay, however it was a live in the studio recording. The version on the AFD box set is the same just remastered and with different EQ, sounds more polished and less edge but it's the same (at least to my ears).

Yeah - I know there are a few versions...just curious as to what this particular one was. @troccoli - have you played your test pressing and if so, does it match the AFD Deluxe version?

14 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Most likely the "Live From the Jungle" EP version. The same version has appeared on versions of the "It's So Easy", "November Rain", and "Live and Let Die" singles. I assume it's just one of the B-Sides that usually appear on Best of compilations.

Edited by Shackler's

20 hours ago, Dean said:

Horrendous idea for them to even consider putting out another compilation, especially so quickly after the release of the Greatest Hits. If only they just collaborated on that project...

To be honest, if its something t hat  would fulfil their contractual obligations with UMG and start their own label like they always talked about, and could be a step to managing videos, streaming etc there own way, so be it. But i suppose having their own label may havr been more practical if they had stayed together rather than at this stage of their careers.

Edited by Sydney Fan

6 hours ago, Shackler's said:

Most likely the "Live From the Jungle" EP version. The same version has appeared on versions of the "It's So Easy", "November Rain", and "Live and Let Die" singles. I assume it's just one of the B-Sides that usually appear on Best of compilations.

That was my initial thought - however it doesn’t say ‘live’ like the other versions?

On 04/07/2020 at 1:16 PM, Towelie said:

I find those tracklists a bit hard to believe. Coma? Locomotive? Down On The Farm? 

No Since I Don't Have You? 

Weird.

Coma and Locomotive are two of their very very best songs.

I agree about Down on the Farm.

The track listing for the second disc reminds me of the best named greatest hits album I’ve heard (Greatest Hit... and 21 other pretty cool songs). The inclusion of a demo, live song, and long time b-side is very similar to having an unreleased song and remixes on a greatest hits album. It still wouldn’t have been much of an improvement since everyone already has those songs, but it could have been a step in the right direction

15 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I agree they're great songs, but don't belong on a Greatest Hits.

This is a "best of" though.

Greatest Hits - songs released as singles, "hits" that get radio play etc.

Best of - any songs, including album cuts.

Edited by ToonGuns
Edit
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1