Unreleased Greatest Hits

On 04/07/2020 at 1:48 PM, Dean said:

Horrendous idea for them to even consider putting out another compilation, especially so quickly after the release of the Greatest Hits. If only they just collaborated on that project...

They did try and collaborate on the greatest hits, there was a whole lawsuit where Duff, Axl and Slash tried to prevent the original one because they didn't like the song selection... and Axl also thought he was releasing CD that same year. They collaboratively tried to stop it, and collaboratively failed to do so. 

The pluses of the original releases were 1. it sold and continues to sell a shit ton! 2. I discovered Ain't it fun! 

Besides those two things the track list is fine, but it's not the final selection I'd have chosen.

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

They did try and collaborate on the greatest hits, there was a whole lawsuit where Duff, Axl and Slash tried to prevent the original one because they didn't like the song selection... and Axl also thought he was releasing CD that same year. They collaboratively tried to stop it, and collaboratively failed to do so. 

The pluses of the original releases were 1. it sold and continues to sell a shit ton! 2. I discovered Ain't it fun! 

Besides those two things the track list is fine, but it's not the final selection I'd have chosen.

Collaborate in terms of working together on a release, cherry picking songs that they felt happy with etc and not have the label fire everything together. It was the same with Live Era, no direct communication between Slash, Duff and co with Axl - it was all done through lawyers.

As you say, it sold well and they'll no doubt he happy with that - the Greatest Hits artwork even made it on some Guns advertisements over the 2012-14 period.

• Like 1

As they tried to stop the crap GH album in 04 being released, they 'could' do a 2cd Hits record and include and finished tracks, even just HaedSkool, Atlas and State Of Grace & Perhaps... Just to keep us happy. 

Or do what ive done and create my own on a laptop

Edited by dando

49 minutes ago, Dean said:

Collaborate in terms of working together on a release, cherry picking songs that they felt happy with etc and not have the label fire everything together. It was the same with Live Era, no direct communication between Slash, Duff and co with Axl - it was all done through lawyers.

As you say, it sold well and they'll no doubt he happy with that - the Greatest Hits artwork even made it on some Guns advertisements over the 2012-14 period.

Yeah, it was a shame that they couldn't see eye to eye for a moment! but, it is what it is!

• GNFNR 1

49 minutes ago, dando said:

As they tried to stop the crap GH album in 04 being released, they 'could' do a 2cd Hits record and include and finished tracks, even just HaedSkool, Atlas and State Of Grace & Perhaps... Just to keep us happy. 

Or do what ive done and create my own on a laptop

They don't think in terms of keeping lunatic fans like us happy. Also, I'd bet that Axl is more old school and would prefer to release his material on a traditional album rather than bonus add ons for a greatest hits package. It worked ok for VH on best of both worlds but the new material was really not digested because it was surrounded by the bands biggest songs... impossible company!

I do hope to hear State of grace in a more finished form one day though! that song above all the others has potential, kinda reminds of 'The Garden' part II.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

They don't think in terms of keeping lunatic fans like us happy. Also, I'd bet that Axl is more old school and would prefer to release his material on a traditional album rather than bonus add ons for a greatest hits package. It worked ok for VH on best of both worlds but the new material was really not digested because it was surrounded by the bands biggest songs... impossible company!

I do hope to hear State of grace in a more finished form one day though! that song above all the others has potential, kinda reminds of 'The Garden' part II.

Yeah i get that Garden 2 thought, and polish Perhaps off too... It seems the leaks are at least 80% finished or so, let slash & duff loose on them. Even include Going Down with Tommy on vocals, great song 

8 minutes ago, dando said:

Yeah i get that Garden 2 thought, and polish Perhaps off too... It seems the leaks are at least 80% finished or so, let slash & duff loose on them. Even include Going Down with Tommy on vocals, great song 

I just can't see a Tommy inclusion, the song itself might make it! because it's actually a good song in that UYI mould! but his vocal will be swapped out, as would Bumbles parts... so what it might sound like when all is said and done?? who knows! I think that would be a great song for a new Guns record though, same goes for Perhaps and State of grace... I'm on the fence with Oldschool, but maybe if Slash and Duff and co reworked it, it's salvageable. I love the verses in Atlas, but the pre-chorus and chorus sound like different songs... but there's a good song in there! two songs actually😁 

35 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I just can't see a Tommy inclusion, the song itself might make it! because it's actually a good song in that UYI mould! but his vocal will be swapped out, as would Bumbles parts... so what it might sound like when all is said and done?? who knows! I think that would be a great song for a new Guns record though, same goes for Perhaps and State of grace... I'm on the fence with Oldschool, but maybe if Slash and Duff and co reworked it, it's salvageable. I love the verses in Atlas, but the pre-chorus and chorus sound like different songs... but there's a good song in there! two songs actually😁 

I feel the best bit about Atlas is the first minute ( intro bit before it kicks in), ive never been a queen fan whatsoever so if May's solo gets slash we working it...good 

1 hour ago, dando said:

I feel the best bit about Atlas is the first minute ( intro bit before it kicks in), ive never been a queen fan whatsoever so if May's solo gets slash we working it...good 

Oh I LOVE Queen, but for gnr Slash is the man for the job! And his track record on epic ballads written by Axl is exceptional so there's that too!

10 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

That was my initial thought - however it doesn’t say ‘live’ like the other versions?

Yeah. I've noticed on some single covers the song is labeled "live", while on others, it's not. It's pretty safe to assume it's the Suicide outtake whenever SOYL is mentioned pre-2018—seeing as it's the only official release of SOYL before the Rumbo Recorders version that appeared on Appetite 2018.

1 minute ago, Shackler's said:

Yeah. I've noticed on some single covers the song is labeled "live", while on others, it's not. It's pretty safe to assume it's the Suicide outtake whenever SOYL is mentioned pre-2018—seeing as it's the only official release of SOYL before the Rumbo Recorders version that appeared on Appetite 2018.

Your probably right mate.👍

9 hours ago, Shackler's said:

The Yesterdays single in 1991 had a different version as a b-side, so there's been a few different versions released.

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Cheers. My bad. Too early this morning! I own it, can't believe I got mixed up!

Oh, yeah, it could actually be that one as well, totally forgot about it. It was also played in the background during the Makin' Fuckin' Videos - Don't Cry DVD.

That version is labeled as "Live" when it's even lesser live than the one with a fake crowd.

Edited by Shackler's

32 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The existing Greatest Hits really is garbage. Crappy sleeve, zero effort, and isn't there editing on the songs too? 

I refused to buy it when it came out, and still don't own a copy. 

The worst thing about it is 5 out of the 14 songs being covers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

Every track on the album was a single, including the 5 covers.

At least they're played at gigs, not crap tracks not even worth a listen to, both big hits for the band 

Officially yes they we're singles but nobody on earth actually bought them, or realised they were released.. Mainstream hits, definitely not, people have released farts with more people caring.. Might as well re release it with better, shadow of your love and street of dreams 

Edited by dando

12 minutes ago, dando said:

At least they're played at gigs, not crap tracks not even worth a listen to, both big hits for the band 

Officially yes they we're singles but nobody on earth actually bought them, or realised they were released.. Mainstream hits, definitely not, people have released farts with more people caring.. Might as well re release it with better, shadow of your love and street of dreams 

They didn't make a huge impact compared to a lot of the key GNR singles but people most certainly bought them.

Aint It Fun: UK #9 single

Since I Dont Have You: UK #10 single

Sympathy For The Devil: UK #9 single

30 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

They didn't make a huge impact compared to a lot of the key GNR singles but people most certainly bought them.

Aint It Fun: UK #9 single

Since I Dont Have You: UK #10 single

Sympathy For The Devil: UK #9 single

If they we're so popular then... Why has 99% of the world forgotten about them? 

Completely unnecessary flops that even most fans dont want to hear