Unreleased Greatest Hits

2 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

I agree with the songs you listed that you consider good, and I must be one of the few that actually love The Seeker and how the band and in particular, Axl sound on it. In fact, forget all the layered complex bullshit demos and industrial ambitions of the past, I would dearly love to have an album of Axl just doing straight up 70’s & 80’s style rock. He sounds like he was born for it, and watching him live a few times singing it he looks like he really enjoys it. 

With you on that. The Seeker is often the time the band seems most alive and engaged on stage. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

I agree with the songs you listed that you consider good, and I must be one of the few that actually love The Seeker and how the band and in particular, Axl sound on it. In fact, forget all the layered complex bullshit demos and industrial ambitions of the past, I would dearly love to have an album of Axl just doing straight up 70’s & 80’s style rock. He sounds like he was born for it, and watching him live a few times singing it he looks like he really enjoys it. 

It fits the band well i agree, im not huge on covers that they haven't recorded, but this and BHS at first we're great, i know LALD & KOHD are covers but at least GNR recorded & released them as their own

On 7/4/2020 at 4:34 PM, adamsapple said:

SOYL...from what I remember, that song was originally recorded for but not used on "Live Like A Suicide" and as all tracks from that EP it was a live-in-one-take studio recording, the songs that ended up on LLAS had audience added on later in post production. The studio recording of SOYL was officially released as track 3 on the "Live And Let Die" CD-Single in 1991, it stated "live" in the inlay, however it was a live in the studio recording. The version on the AFD box set is the same just remastered and with different EQ, sounds more polished and less edge but it's the same (at least to my ears).

There’s two different versions that were released as b-sides. The version that was meant for “Live Like a Suicide” (with fake crowd overdubs), and a different studio demo with no overdubs (this was the international b-side for “Live and Let Die.”)

On 7/5/2020 at 5:58 PM, Shackler's said:

Yeah. I've noticed on some single covers the song is labeled "live", while on others, it's not. It's pretty safe to assume it's the Suicide outtake whenever SOYL is mentioned pre-2018—seeing as it's the only official release of SOYL before the Rumbo Recorders version that appeared on Appetite 2018.

Incorrect.

Two different versions were officially released b-sides.

The LLAS version was used on b-sides in the late 80s.

I have an import CD single of “Live and Let Die” (from Germany, I believe), and even thought it’s listed as “live”, it’s a completely different studio demo than what was released in the 80s.

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dando said:

You're forgetting in the GC you cant see what's going on behind you.. People going for a pee and a beer, definitely was but there was 70k or so in there 

Ive thought before could they open with YCBM as by the time they get to it in the set, axl is already out of puff... Hit it first and hes fresh? 

100% this. Plus on occasion he has sung it right after RQ and SOYL - absolutely crazy setlist choice.

Im about to create a new thread on ‘what a great setlist’ could look like from a song selection/setlist order and vocal perspective based on the most recent performances.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, dando said:

Im not saying it wasn't a great noise made but there was people walking off once they heard a weak version of a big hit.. Pretty similar at Download too if you we're stood on the hill 

Maybe - but Download was a pure open air, so I don't recall hearing same when I was there too. Much more pronounced within a wrap-around stadium.

1 hour ago, CAFC Nick said:

Maybe - but Download was a pure open air, so I don't recall hearing same when I was there too. Much more pronounced within a wrap-around stadium.

I agree outdoor gigs dont have the same acoustics as a stadium, plus download has a history of bad acoustics.. Not always the best sound put out.. Still, it was a goos show, odd bad bits but they're not 28 anymore 

On 7/6/2020 at 7:42 PM, Tom2112 said:

The vocals are scratch, there's parts where he's not singing words and kinda humming. But I like what he was getting and really hope it gets finished!

I hope he keeps the last several lines the same/similar, those wrap up vocals were amazing. "Now, more than ever, I still remember, your name!" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I hope he keeps the last several lines the same/similar, those wrap up vocals were amazing. "Now, more than ever, I still remember, your name!" 

That part is really.catchy! hopefully it makes the cut!!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, DTJ80 said:

Yeah - I know there are a few versions...just curious as to what this particular one was. @troccoli - have you played your test pressing and if so, does it match the AFD Deluxe version?

I haven't listened to it in some time, will have to dig it out.  Can't remember from when I last played it.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, The Real McCoy said:

@troccolihas it.

I do indeed.

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

That part is really.catchy! hopefully it makes the cut!!

Agreed! That part stuck out to me most upon early listens to that song. The extended outro makes me feel like that track could be an album closer.

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Agreed! That part stuck out to me most upon early listens to that song. The extended outro makes me feel like that track could be an album closer.

Definitely! that whole outro section is brilliant. I love the whole thing though! I could see Duff liking the bass line, definitely has his DNA in it.