Ain't No Sunshine Cover

12 hours ago, lame ass security said:

First class stuff bro. Love your vocals, as usual. Great idea to have a different take on it. Also, during the second verse I heard a little Matt Sorum from YCBM.😄 Very cool.

Cheers dude, I also stole Slash's SCOM third chorus lick and used it in my chorus!

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Hahaha I heard that. 

Pretty good stuff. I liked a lot. And I hold this song so dear to my heart. :)

Thanks man, good to hear from someone who loves the original! I thought effectively re-writing it may be a bit controversial, but covering something that iconic felt like it needed to be pretty different from the original.

2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks man, good to hear from someone who loves the original! I thought effectively re-writing it may be a bit controversial, but covering something that iconic felt like it needed to be pretty different from the original.

Well, there's tons of other versions a bit like the original song, including Michael Jackson as a kid. It takes some balls to do something like what you did and still sounding great. :)

Very cool! My friend is obsessed with the original. We just took a listen together and he’s convinced you have crossed a moral boundary by rearranging it so much! Lol

Hes a very unique fella who sees the world differently then many of us do.

But in the wise words of Axl Rose, regarding rock and roll “at least it’s a reaction”

I for one think it’s dope!

On 7/13/2020 at 12:45 PM, Voodoochild said:

Well, there's tons of other versions a bit like the original song, including Michael Jackson as a kid. It takes some balls to do something like what you did and still sounding great. :)

Thanks buddy, feels like it was a gamble worth taking!

2 hours ago, soon said:

Very cool! My friend is obsessed with the original. We just took a listen together and he’s convinced you have crossed a moral boundary by rearranging it so much! Lol

Hes a very unique fella who sees the world differently then many of us do.

But in the wise words of Axl Rose, regarding rock and roll “at least it’s a reaction”

I for one think it’s dope!

Completely get your friend's take! If I heard my version and it wasn't me that had done it, I would question if it is even a real cover of the song as the only part that (slightly) resembles the original is the start of the breakdown. Glad you're into it though and I am happy I went with it; at the end you can hear how it was originally going to sound, like a heavy faithful version, albeit in a different key. I felt that this was way too "straight" and tore it down!

• Like 3

On July 15, 2020 at 12:51 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Completely get your friend's take! If I heard my version and it wasn't me that had done it, I would question if it is even a real cover of the song as the only part that (slightly) resembles the original is the start of the breakdown. Glad you're into it though and I am happy I went with it; at the end you can hear how it was originally going to sound, like a heavy faithful version, albeit in a different key. I felt that this was way too "straight" and tore it down!

Right on! Tear it down!

I meant to post this when this conversation was happening, but me and my friend read your reply together. They were fascinated to learn that the person who did this to the song also agrees with them! And perplexed, but mostly just excited. And they were just tickled that they got to communicate with you, a real musician. So thank you. It was a really cool time that we will remember for years to come. :headbang:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, soon said:

Right on! Tear it down!

I meant to post this when this conversation was happening, but me and my friend read your reply together. They were fascinated to learn that the person who did this to the song also agrees with them! And perplexed, but mostly just excited. And they were just tickled that they got to communicate with you, a real musician. So thank you. It was a really cool time that we will remember for years to come. :headbang:

I try and push it as far as I can with the covers; here are some links to previous challenges, there are some really great entries: 

Loads of interesting versions of the subject matter in those playlists! Cover Challenge #5 was abandoned due to lack of entrants. Always more than happy to talk to anyone about the music I make, very grateful that anyone takes the time to listen to it with the amount of media this world could consume!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I try and push it as far as I can with the covers; here are some links to previous challenges, there are some really great entries: 

Loads of interesting versions of the subject matter in those playlists! Cover Challenge #5 was abandoned due to lack of entrants. Always more than happy to talk to anyone about the music I make, very grateful that anyone takes the time to listen to it with the amount of media this world could consume!

Wow, thanks for this! A treasure trove. We’ll check some of these out next time we hang out!

What a cool contest too!