Steven Adler You Could Be Mine

oshrøse

I know Sorum played the drum part of on the studio recording of You could be mine but it sounds a lot like Steven wrote it. 

here’s a video of Steven playing the drum part does anybody know if he wrote it or not? 

Ok I didn’t know duff testified to writing it in court but if you know of any other UYI tracks Steven was involved in uhhh tell me

Edited by oshrøse
I didn’t know things but now I know things

The song was written during the Appetite sessions and a journalist said he'd heard a demo of it when GnR were in England in June 1987.

Duff testified in Steven's lawsuit trial that he wrote the drum part and showed it to Steven. Matt also said in a 1993 interview that Duff came up with the idea of the intro drum beat, although I think in a later interview he said he wrote it himself.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Based on all the snippets of information from the various members, I always assumed that it was Duff who suggested the principle repeating drum pattern and that Matt later added the two bar tag that opens the song as we know it. Basically, Matt isn't necessarily lying that he wrote it but it depends on if we're talking about the repeating tom pattern that plays out over the entire introduction section or those two bars of sixteenths that start the song before going into the repeating pattern.

It's very possible that Steven had jammed it long before with a similar pattern especially when the song proper kicks in, but it's pretty standard hard rock drumming so even if you gave the song to ten different drummers who had never heard it there's a chance that they'd come up with something similar in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The song was written during the Appetite sessions and a journalist said he'd heard a demo of it when GnR were in England in June 1987.

Duff testified in Steven's lawsuit trial that he wrote the drum part and showed it to Steven. Matt also said in a 1993 interview that Duff came up with the idea of the intro drum beat, although I think in a later interview he said he wrote it himself.

If i remember correctly, he said he came up with the initial fill, and the part that follows it under the bass is the part Duff came up with⁰

Steven's intro to the song is similar to the final version on the Record. I gues Matt just made a few changes, but the drums on the track were already done by Steven. Like they said this song was done in the AFD Era.

But it is hard to ascertain if what Steven is playing is how he originally intended before getting fired or if he has in fact taken inspiration from the song as recorded. What he plays in modern performances could very well be a hybrid. Unless there's some early recording of it floating around in the vaults we might not know for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mendez said:

If i remember correctly, he said he came up with the initial fill, and the part that follows it under the bass is the part Duff came up with⁰

These are the quotes I had in mind:

Matt: "And this next video [You Could Be Mine] starts out with a pretty cool drum beat, but I actually didn’t come up with the idea. Duff did. I just want to tell the public that now." [MTV, Guns N' Roses in Athens, May 1993].

Q: Didn’t you write that drum intro to You Could Be Mine?
Duff: “That’s a very good question because I was actually in court yesterday saying that. Steven Adler [original drummer with GN’R] is suing us and his lawsuit has finally gone to court; I had to get on a stand yesterday with a jury and everything, and explain what a drum edit was, and what a riff was. But yes, I used to get behind the kit when Steven was in the band. That song was written for ‘Appetite’ and at that time Slash and I would have to try and explain to Steven how the drum part should go; I’d have to tell Slash to chill out and I’d do it - a guitar player relating to a drummer just doesn’t work. So I ended up getting behind the drum kit and showing Steve. I’m not technically a great drummer but I know how to get the playing across. And that’s what I testified yesterday, too.” [Guitarist Magazine, November 1993]

Matt: "You Could Be Mine stands out because it represents my entry into Guns N' Roses. I remember I had this punk rock rolling beat at the top, and by accident I put that fill on. I threw it in because I was a huge fan of Terry Bozzio and he did that fill but about 10 million times faster." [6 Career Defining Record of Matt Sorum, Rhythm Magazine, July 2009]

And (from 2012):

Matt: "We were in the studio recording, and originally the song started with this sort of like punk kind of tom thing. And then on the third take, I think I just threw that in, because I’d been watching Terry Bozzio a lot. The band was like, ‘Yeah, that’s it!’ That’s how that happened. And then I was really stoked, because that feel - I was watching Sunday night football highlights, the guy went for a pass, you know? It was like, ‘Yeah, I’ve arrived!’ So that’s when you know you’ve arrived as a drummer, when you make Sunday football highlights."   

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, oshrøse said:

I know Sorum played the drum part of on the studio recording of You could be mine but it sounds a lot like Steven wrote it. 

here’s a video of Steven playing the drum part does anybody know if he wrote it or not? 

Steven for sure didn't write it.

On 2020-07-27 at 11:01 AM, DonkeyNuts said:

Steven for sure didn't write it.

Why "for sure"? He likely did write the basic drum part, but not exactly the same as what ended up on UYI.

Is there a list of all the UYI songs Steven played on? Demos or rehearsals? I guess it would look something like this, but I might be missing some:

Don't Cry (played live 1985-86, demo)
Back Off Bitch (played live 1985-86, demo)
YCBM (demo)
Perfect Crime (played live 1985-86)
Coma (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Locomotive (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Don't Damn Me (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Dust N' Bones (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Garden Of Eden (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Bad Apples (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Ain't Goin' Down (played live 1985-86)
Bad Obsession (Axl said they wrote it a year before Mr Brownstone)
Civil War
maybe November Rain and probably some covers?

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Why "for sure"? He likely did write the basic drum part, but not exactly the same as what ended up on UYI.

Is there a list of all the UYI songs Steven played on? Demos or rehearsals? I guess it would look something like this, but I might be missing some:

YCBM (demo)
Civil War

November rain was recorded during the 1986 sound city session and is on AFD super deluxe edition. Locomotive also sounds like something Steven might have wrote part of

3 minutes ago, oshrøse said:

November rain was recorded during the 1986 sound city session and is on AFD super deluxe edition. Locomotive also sounds like something Steven might have wrote part of

Yea but there's no drums on that Sound City version :P

There's a recording of him playing Locomotive in 1989.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea but there's no drums on that Sound City version :P

There's a recording of him playing Locomotive in 1989.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Cool thanks

do you know where I can find the recording of locomotive?

Edited by oshrøse

27 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

YCBM (demo)
Civil War

I don't know about Bad Obsession, as well as the other West Arkeen songs, Yesterdays and The Garden, which were also from 1985/86. Since they hadn't played them live, they had probably never played/recorded them as a band before the UYI sessions.

Matt said that they brought him "about five" demos with Steven when he joined:

RF: How was the material brought to you and then created?

MS: They had tapes of a lot of stuff. They had recorded some of the album with Steven already, although a lot of it got canned. They kept "Civil War," which had Steven on it, but before all the rehearsals, we went in and cut the track for the movie Days Of Thunder, "Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door." We rehearsed that for about an hour, got the groove, and went in. That was my first day of playing with those guys, but we had to get the song done because the movie was going to be out the following week. They played the live video that Steven played on, which was weird, but it’s me you hear on the radio.

RF: So they brought you demos with Steven on them?

MS: Maybe about five of them, but the rest were just them sitting around the house with acoustic guitars. When we met in the studio, a lot of other songs came up as we were recording. Axl walked in a couple of nights with some songs he played on piano. We always tracked live, no click tracks ever. There were some tracks where Axl played piano and sang live, too. It’s a real live-feeling band.  [Modern Drummer, June 1991]

Maybe he meant demos they had recorded during the Illusion sessions, not demos they had from 1986/87.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know about Bad Obsession, as well as the other West Arkeen songs, Yesterdays and The Garden, which were also from 1985/86. Since they hadn't played them live, they had probably never played/recorded them as a band before the UYI sessions.

Matt said that they brought him "about five" demos with Steven when he joined:

RF: How was the material brought to you and then created?

MS: They had tapes of a lot of stuff. They had recorded some of the album with Steven already, although a lot of it got canned. They kept "Civil War," which had Steven on it, but before all the rehearsals, we went in and cut the track for the movie Days Of Thunder, "Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door." We rehearsed that for about an hour, got the groove, and went in. That was my first day of playing with those guys, but we had to get the song done because the movie was going to be out the following week. They played the live video that Steven played on, which was weird, but it’s me you hear on the radio.

RF: So they brought you demos with Steven on them?

MS: Maybe about five of them, but the rest were just them sitting around the house with acoustic guitars. When we met in the studio, a lot of other songs came up as we were recording. Axl walked in a couple of nights with some songs he played on piano. We always tracked live, no click tracks ever. There were some tracks where Axl played piano and sang live, too. It’s a real live-feeling band.  [Modern Drummer, June 1991]

Maybe he meant demos they had recorded during the Illusion sessions, not demos they had from 1986/87.

Yea I've never heard of them playing Bad Obsession in the early days, but it's been mentioned as an old song and the drumming style definitely sounds like something Steven would've played. I would guess the "about five" demos would be from the early UYI sessions, but we know there were at least 4 demos from the AFD era (Don't Cry, Back Off Bitch, Ain't Goin' Down, YCBM) so it could've just been those, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Lol! That video is garbage.

who said it was good? not me. what you lolling about?

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

YCBM (demo)
Civil War

Huh? Duff wrote the drum part for you could be mine. Its not up for debate. he wrote it, no one in know has ever said otherwise.