2021 Tour - How to create the perfect setlist?

I had been thinking about all the criticisms of the band (lack of variety, vocals, sloppy playing etc) and wondered how it could be ‘fixed’ should the band tour in 2021.....hopefully via Scotland as was the original plan.  I heard a bootleg of the Miami gig a while back and had noted the following (IMO...):-

It’s So Easy (No issues)

Mr Brownstone (No issues)

Chinese Democracy (No real issues)

Welcome to the Jungle (Mainstay so...)

Slither (Velvet Revolver cover) (not really a fan of this but scope for improvement in how it’s approached vocally)

Better (Been awful for a while although weirdly the performance at the last gig in Mexico was one of the best I’ve heard in years - relegate to occasional performance)

Estranged (Vocal delivery changed in last 10 years to be high/clean which not great although not awful and could be slowed a bit - too good a song to drop)

Live and Let Die (Wings cover) (No issues)

You're Crazy
(slow version; first time live since 2014) (No issues)

Rocket Queen (Vocally a struggle to get near where he wants to be - does position in setlist need to be changed to help maximise performance?)

You Could Be Mine (Mainstay so.....but needs to be slowed a bit)

Shadow of Your Love (Needs slowed down BIGTIME - sounds like they are trying to kill Axl)

Attitude
(Misfits cover) (with 'You Can't Put Your Arms… more ) (No issues)

Civil War
(with 'Voodoo Chile' snippet) (No issues)

Dead Horse (Needs slowed down BIGTIME)

Double Talkin' Jive (No issues)

Slash Guitar Solo

Sweet Child o' Mine (Mainstay so....)

November Rain (Mainstay so....)

Knockin' on Heaven's Door
(Bob Dylan cover) (Mainstay so....)

Nightrain (No issues)

Patience (No issues)

The Seeker (The Who cover) (No issues.....apart from being overplayed to death....replace with TSI cut instead)

Paradise City (Mainstay so....)

Notes:-

With the UYI anniversary happening and the addition of some tracks from those albums recently it’s probable we will see a few more added. Potentials (vocal ability permitting...):-

Dust N Bones (Duff on lead vocals)

Bad Obsession

You Ain’t The First

The Garden (get Alice involved if he is about)

14 Years (Duff on lead vocals)

Breakdown

Pretty Tied Up (Rehearsed and sounded good)

Locomotive (needs slowed down as recent versions WAY too fast)

So Fine (Performed already)

Setlist needs rejigging too - having Rocket Queen, YCBM and then SOYL all in a row is just plain daft....it’s no wonder Axl struggles. Play more LLAS and TSI stuff!!

Thoughts? Any obvious omissions....and songs I have noted which would likely sound awful?

Edit:- goes without saying, Hardschool and new material too!!!!

Edit 2:- Get a ‘By Request’ option in per gig AND do a one-off gig just for the occasion where the setlist is voted for like MetallicAs from a few years ago (I realise this could lead to songs getting voted foe which may not be great vocally but for a one-off I’d be totally cool with that).

Edited by DTJ80
Thought about ‘By Request’ option
  • Like 1

If they are serious in releasing new material and that something is in the works, put focus on a few new tracks. Everything else I'm fine with as if Axl sorts his chops to sing a tune he worked on 20 years ago, then the rest of the setlist will benefit from him putting his voice through the paces.

25 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I had been thinking about all the criticisms of the band (lack of variety, vocals, sloppy playing etc) and wondered how it could be ‘fixed’ should the band tour in 2021.....hopefully via Scotland as was the original plan.  I heard a bootleg of the Miami gig a while back and had noted the following (IMO...):-

It’s So Easy (No issues)

Slither (Velvet Revolver cover) (not really a fan of this but scope for improvement in how it’s approached vocally)

Better (Been awful for a while although weirdly the performance at the last gig in Mexico was one of the best I’ve heard in years - relegate to occasional performance)

Estranged (Vocal delivery changed in last 10 years to be high/clean which not great although not awful and could be slowed a bit - too good a song to drop)

You're Crazy

Rocket Queen (Vocally a struggle to get near where he wants to be - does position in setlist need to be changed to help maximise performance?)

Shadow of Your Love (Needs slowed down BIGTIME - sounds like they are trying to kill Axl)

Attitude

Civil War

Slash Guitar Solo

Nightrain (No issues)

Patience (No issues)

The Seeker (The Who cover) (No issues.....apart from being overplayed to death....replace with TSI cut instead)

With the UYI anniversary happening and the addition of some tracks from those albums recently it’s probable we will see a few more added. Potentials (vocal ability permitting...):-

Bad Obsession

You Ain’t The First

Breakdown

Setlist needs rejigging too - having Rocket Queen, YCBM and then SOYL all in a row is just plain daft....it’s no wonder Axl struggles. Play more LLAS and TSI stuff!!

Thoughts? Any obvious omissions....and songs I have noted which would likely sound awful?

Edit :- goes without saying, Hardschool and new material too!!!!

I agree with your thoughts on the set, tempos and which songs are good, passable or bad.

I'd rather Duff/Axl duet on dust n bones and 14 years. Duff is grand, but his voice just isn't as good as Izzys and even Axl on an off day can handle 14years or dust n bones reasonably well. If it's between duff singing them.or not hearing them at all, then if course I'll take what I can get!

The main issue would be solved if they generally mixed up the playlist, added new songs plus some rare stuff, adjusted the playlist to current Axl’s form, and shuffled the songs around in terms of the main body + alt. playlist like they kinda used to at the beginning of the 2016 leg. That would bring back excitement both for them and obviously for us. The rest is just cosmetics. 
For me, songs like RQ or YCBM can go, for all I care. I’d prefer a nice Down on the Farm etc. over forced, mickeyed Arnold, played just because old farts bought tickets just to hear that. The reunion hype is over, and anyone who wanted to see them have already done so and ticked the box. 

As for individual songs you’ve mentioned, just a few notes:
- Slither – can go to hell; bring a new cover instead – or even better, play something from your own catalogue. 
- Better – needs to go; find a new song to represent CD if you really still feel the urge. IRS? Prostitute? Etc. Again, Axl’s form is the key. 
- Estranged – still the same. They missed the "rasp" opportunity in 2010 (when they could have played it but alas, waited for a year), and it hasn’t really changed since 2011. However, I’d definitely keep this one, even if just because of the guitar. 
- LALD – a staple, with rasp (one of the few moments these days), needs to stay. 
- Shadow – I agree it could be slowed down a bit. Otherwise, no issues, as long as Axl can hear himself in the monitor. 
- Civil War – same like with Estranged, missed the opportunity, it’s mostly mickey + the "forced" (fake) rasp, but oh well. 
- Dead Horse – maybe slow it down but above all, rehearse that thing ffs! How could they nail Locomotive yet mess up DH so many times? 
- KOHD – reduction is the word here. It was still cool in 09/10 when Axl sounded like a god, but the times have changed, and most importantly, it’s too long. 
- Nightrain – I do see one issue here: slow it the fuck down! The song is half-murdered by this tempo (this is done undoubtedly because of the vocals so that he can spare some air/cords). 
- Seeker – needs to go, too. Play DOTF or something else where Axl can relax. It’s not a particularly great song in the first place anyway. 

As for your additions, The Garden or Breakdown are hardly ever gonna be played – too much rasp at the middle level there. 
Again, a major stir-up of the playlist is the only thing that could save us from further – fully justified – complaining. 

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s So Easy (No issues)

You're Crazy

Attitude

Civil War

Slash Guitar Solo

Nightrain (No issues)

Patience (No issues)

Bad Obsession

You Ain’t The First

Breakdown

Edit :- goes without saying, Hardschool and new material too!!!!

Absoluely No VR songs, unless they can bring scott back from the dead.

Agree on adding illusion tunes with the anniversary especially the deep cuts - PTU, dust n bones, bad obsession, 14 years, dont damn me.

TIL should never be added to the setlist again. Axls vocals are woeful.

Rotate YCBM and Coma. He cant do them both in the one night

Opening set should be ISE, CD, Nighttrain

Bring back OTGM and add think about you

Attitude and black leather to cover TSI

Add hardschool and whatever new songs as a teaser.

Cut down on the length of KOHD and rocket queen.

No covers from any other bands. Strictly GNR only setlist.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Release a new album.Include 4-6 new songs off of said new album.Scratch all the covers include a different song of off lies a couple of uyi ‘s deeper cuts a new song off of TSI,play AFD in its entirety.Play one or 2 max CD songs.

Edited by gt72

2 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Here we go again...

Why not though? Better than us all moping about during these troubled times. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Plus - it’s dead round here....any chat has to be good! 😂

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

1. Pretty Tied Up

2. Mr. Brownstone 

3. Chinese Democracy

4. It's so Easy

5. Jungle

6. DTJ

7. Civil War

8. LALD

9. Locomotive/Coma/Breakdown

10. Bad Obsession/Dead Horse/Bad Apples 

11. Hardschool

12. So Fine/Dust n Bones/14 Years (Duff on vocals) 

Acoustic set:

13. YATF/You're Crazy (slow) 

14. Patience 

15. KOHD

Full Band:

16. Slash Solo + SCOM

17. NR

18. Out Ta Get Me/My Michelle

19. Nightrain

Encore:

20. Maddy/TWAT (if Axl can sing it properly) 

21. Don't Cry

22. Estranged

23. Seeker/Whole Lotta Rosie

24. PC

Not too long, not too many covers, without most of the songs where Axl sounds shit (YCBM, RQ, Better) and with some UYI deep cuts because of the 30th anniversary 

Edited by SAU3R
  • Like 2

It’s a crime that they didn’t play TAY or PTU in Mexico this year, despite soundchecking both of them.

I get holding onto Hardschool, until new album plans are more solidified, but it would’ve been a nice treat to get those other two alongside So Fine.

So if we do still get a 2021 tour, I at least hope those two songs still come back!

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

It’s a crime that they didn’t play TAY or PTU in Mexico this year, despite soundchecking both of them.

I get holding onto Hardschool, until new album plans are more solidified, but it would’ve been a nice treat to get those other two alongside So Fine.

So if we do still get a 2021 tour, I at least hope those two songs still come back!

Axl should be singing so fine too! 

I hope they keep a lot of the same songs, but completely change the order! No body in the crowd outside of complete fanatics who break on TB headquarters should be able to know the set before the band even plays. 

If gnr tour next year and they play the same NITL set  you can once and for all put it all to bed because gnr will be saying clearly this how the rest of our career is going to look, like it or fuck off! I'll happily fuck off because I'm far from impressed.

3 hours ago, SAU3R said:

1. Pretty Tied Up

2. Mr. Brownstone 

3. Chinese Democracy

4. It's so Easy

5. Jungle

6. DTJ

7. Civil War

8. LALD

9. Locomotive/Coma/Breakdown

10. Bad Obsession/Dead Horse/Bad Apples 

11. Hardschool

12. So Fine/Dust n Bones/14 Years (Duff on vocals) 

Acoustic set:

13. YATF/You're Crazy (slow) 

14. Patience 

15. KOHD

Full Band:

16. Slash Solo + SCOM

17. NR

18. Out Ta Get Me/My Michelle

19. Nightrain

Encore:

20. Maddy/TWAT (if Axl can sing it properly) 

21. Don't Cry

22. Estranged

23. Seeker/Whole Lotta Rosie

24. PC

Not too long, not too many covers, without most of the songs where Axl sounds shit (YCBM, RQ, Better) and with some UYI deep cuts because of the 30th anniversary 

I like this however realistically YCBM and RQ will likely never get dropped. Fine with RQ as it’s my favourite song but maybe better placed in setlist could help him ‘push it’ a bit more?

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I think Atlas, Perhaps, and Hardschool would be good songs for Axl to sing, especially if he sings Atlas like he does in the village leaks.

Would be over the moon if ANY of these three were played!

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree with your thoughts on the set, tempos and which songs are good, passable or bad.

I'd rather Duff/Axl duet on dust n bones and 14 years. Duff is grand, but his voice just isn't as good as Izzys and even Axl on an off day can handle 14years or dust n bones reasonably well. If it's between duff singing them.or not hearing them at all, then if course I'll take what I can get!

Yeah - I’d be hoping for a duet in the style of the album. Although, if it allows Axl ‘breather time’ then I’m cool with that. Still can’t understand why Axl didn’t sing on So Fine when played recently?

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

She seems ultra talented in terms of instruments....although I do wonder if anyone under 40 knows what a damned Harmonica is 😂.

I'm almost 30, and I had to look it up :D

Definitely was in the realm I had in mind. 

• Like 1