2021 Tour - How to create the perfect setlist?

21 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm almost 30, and I had to look it up :D

Definitely was in the realm I had in mind. 

😂

9 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Assuming a logistical nightmare tour of 2021 happens when we are in the infancy of the Covid Pandemic.  I don't see how a tour is happening.  I think the chance of them touring is less than zero.

Just a hypothetical. Let’s say 2022 then - what do you think a great setlist could be?

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

😂

Just a hypothetical. Let’s say 2022 then - what do you think a great setlist could be?

I need to come up with one.  Hypothetical is cool.  I guess as much as I was bored with the same tour going on and on now Covid has destroyed it, it blows.  I am gonna do up a setlist, could be fun

10 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

I need to come up with one.  Hypothetical is cool.  I guess as much as I was bored with the same tour going on and on now Covid has destroyed it, it blows.  I am gonna do up a setlist, could be fun

👍

54 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Assuming a logistical nightmare tour of 2021 happens when we are in the infancy of the Covid Pandemic.  I don't see how a tour is happening.  I think the chance of them touring is less than zero.

Yeah, considering they are 'optimistic' about a vaccine by December. Translation, we don't have anything right now... but maybe by December??? 

The thing is, if concerts get announced people will buy them, just like when the lockdown ended and all the airlines started marketing cheap foreign holidays! loads of people bought without hesitation! as if there was no risk! People are dumb and big business is also only concerned about making money, and right now they aren't making money.

I think Guns should just finish their album and do like some of these other bands (Devin Townsend) and do an epic virtual show... in the meantime they can be booking for the tail end of 2021, but the idea that bands are hoping to be back out in front of thousands of people as early as March or April next year seems far fetched to me... but I would like to be wrong and life returns to A normal by early 2021.

This is about as long as their average show, with enough hits to keep the casual fans happy but still different enough from NITL, and Axl would probably sound better on these songs.

Pretty Tied Up
Mr Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
Hardschool
Double Talkin' Jive
-extended Slash solo-
Sweet Child O' Mine
Slither
Attitude
So Fine (w/ Axl)
Think About You
Live And Let Die
-acoustic set-
You Ain't The First (Axl & Duff co-lead vocals)
Patience
You're Crazy
Wichita Lineman
Knockin' On Heavens Door
-electric set-
Bad Obsession
It's So Easy
Down On The Farm
November Rain
Nightrain

Estranged
The Seeker
Atlas / Perhaps / Any new song
Paradise City

Here's what needs doing. TUNE DOWN. Axl has never sung his songs in such a high voice until 2011. It's plain weird. Shorten set. Remove high pitch songs and replace with lower ones, keeping a couple of hits. So here's my ideal:

YCBM tuned down 

Easy

Brownstone 

Dead Horse 

Pretty Tied Up

Rocket Queen tuned down shortened 

Sweet Child tuned down 

Don't Cry

Breakdown 

Back off Bitch 

Garden

KOHD

November Rain

Jungle 

Locomotive.

You're Crazy 

Paradise city. End.

• Like 1

More than a randomsetlist/deeptracks/slowtempo/bringbackizzy or whatever i want so see a fresh show. Break or throw away the plot secuence and go for a ride like the old times.

That was the most impressive thing that GnR put in his prime. Like see a different action movie every gig. Now is like seeing the same movie every gig.

Put some sauce on it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, axlvai said:

More than a randomsetlist/deeptracks/slowtempo/bringbackizzy or whatever i want so see a fresh show. Break or throw away the plot secuence and go for a ride like the old times.

That was the most impressive thing that GnR put in his prime. Like see a different action movie every gig. Now is like seeing the same movie every gig.

Put some sauce on it. 

I think most of us would appreciate that but at this stage of the game it’s probably not happening. Although even a switch between two/3 fairly different setlists could work - the light show/video screens could accommodate those level of changes.

A ‘By Request’ bit would be cool actually. Even just a song....or a one-off gig?

- smaller production with no pyro/videos and please no click drums, just good light and really good sound (a bit louder and more ooomph would be nice)

- smaller venues (rather some nice arenas for better atmosphere and better sound than these multi-million dollar soccer fields in daylight)

- no longer than 150 minutes (= 5 new songs, 5 deep cuts, 5 covers, 10 classics/hits and at least 3 of these done in acoustic/alternate arrangements, switch deep cuts and covers, switch order of songs, start with Jungle for fucks sake its the best opener in the world and shouldn't be buried in the middle of the set, do Estranged later in the set not so early and give Axl some more piano time, if YCBM stays it should be the final encore before PC and Axl should give it absolutely everything (think Axl/DC times 1000)

- bring some guests and past members every once in a while, let Steven play at least some AFD songs with them, no one plays these better than him and the band sounds a million times more like Guns N' Roses with him

They can't do this forever, when shows are possible again it might be just about time to ride off into the sunset with some style. No one needs those stupid videos, focus on the music. If they keep doing the same old stuff the same way I will not attend as there are plenty of other artists dying to perform live again and give it their all for their fans.

• Like 1

It has no "Strict" order but personaly I would like something like this:

Perfect Crime / Right Next door to hell
Pretty tied up / Double talkin jive
Chinese Democracy 
Better /
Mr Browstone
Estranged / Coma
It so easy
Welcome to the Jungle
November Rain
Used to love her / Yesterdays
Patience 
Don't Cry / This I love
You could be mine
Nightrain 
KOHD
Sweet Child O Mine
Hardschool
Rocket Queen / Locomotive
Dead Horse / You're crazy
Paradise City
ENCORE:
Civil war
Reckless Life / Shadow
Live and let Die

Less covers, some song rotation and different starting and ending order.

Edited by Rodri99
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Higson95 said:

Here's what needs doing. TUNE DOWN. Axl has never sung his songs in such a high voice until 2011. It's plain weird. Shorten set. Remove high pitch songs and replace with lower ones, keeping a couple of hits. So here's my ideal:

YCBM tuned down 

Easy

Brownstone 

Dead Horse 

Pretty Tied Up

Rocket Queen tuned down shortened 

Sweet Child tuned down 

Don't Cry

Breakdown 

Back off Bitch 

Garden

KOHD

November Rain

Jungle 

Locomotive.

You're Crazy 

Paradise city. End.

Performing Back off Bitch after 29 years would be crazy. Very unlikely, but I would love it!

2 hours ago, SAU3R said:

Well we said the same about Coma, Locomotive, Dead Horse, etc. :D

Yea, but most of the forum-fans actually wanted to hear those songs :P

I never got the love for Back Off Bitch... it was always a mediocre song IMO and I can't imagine it sounding good with the NITL lineup. Give me Pretty Tied Up, Down On The Farm, Bad Obsession, Think About You, The Garden, or basically any other deep cut over Back Off Bitch.

On 7/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, considering they are 'optimistic' about a vaccine by December. Translation, we don't have anything right now... but maybe by December??? 

The thing is, if concerts get announced people will buy them, just like when the lockdown ended and all the airlines started marketing cheap foreign holidays! loads of people bought without hesitation! as if there was no risk! People are dumb and big business is also only concerned about making money, and right now they aren't making money.

I think Guns should just finish their album and do like some of these other bands (Devin Townsend) and do an epic virtual show... in the meantime they can be booking for the tail end of 2021, but the idea that bands are hoping to be back out in front of thousands of people as early as March or April next year seems far fetched to me... but I would like to be wrong and life returns to A normal by early 2021.

Well I have Godsmack/Halestorm tickets for late April at the Prudential Center in NJ. At the time, no refunds were offered. The only thing they did was to reschedule the show to  April 2021. I'll have  to see what happens when we are in 2021. 

4 hours ago, Draguns said:

Well I have Godsmack/Halestorm tickets for late April at the Prudential Center in NJ. At the time, no refunds were offered. The only thing they did was to reschedule the show to  April 2021. I'll have  to see what happens when we are in 2021. 

Hopefully they can go ahead with the date safely when it comes around!

• Like 1

I could nerd out about potential setlists forever.

I've tried to shakeup the DNA of the setlist that Axl has been going by since 2002 while also covering all their most popular songs. Only exception is rotating Estranged and Civil War but both work as good encore openers. Guns have so many good songs that are on the longer side so it's hard to keep momentum going.

Have cut down CD songs in general. I love the album but songs demand a lot vocally for little reward in terms of reaction from the crowd.

I'd maybe add a "any Spaghetti Incident song" in the set somewhere. That album doesn't get enough love. Maybe just have 'Hair of the dog' and 'Human Being' as option in the by request song.

1.  Welcome to the Jungle

2. Live and Let Die

3. Bad Obsession / Pretty tied up / Dead Horse

4. Chinese Democracy

5. Don't Cry

6. Think About You / It's So easy

7. You Could Be Mine

8. Attitude / 14 Years / Dust N' Bones (Duff Vocals)

9. *Any additional CD song*

// Move to B - stage (Acoustic/electric set)

10. Patience 

11. Brownstone / Used to Love her

12. You're Crazy / Move to the City

13. Knockin' on Heaven's Door

// Back to main stage

14. Slash Solo / VR Song with Duff on Vocals

15. Sweet Child O' Mine

16. *By request song voted by fans*

17. November Rain

18. Nightrain

// Encore

19. Estranged / Civil War

20. Out Ta Get Me

21. The Seeker / Nice Boys / Shadow of Your Love

22. Paradise City  

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

I could nerd out about potential setlists forever.

I've tried to shakeup the DNA of the setlist that Axl has been going by since 2002 while also covering all their most popular songs. Only exception is rotating Estranged and Civil War but both work as good encore openers. Guns have so many good songs that are on the longer side so it's hard to keep momentum going.

Have cut down CD songs in general. I love the album but songs demand a lot vocally for little reward in terms of reaction from the crowd.

I'd maybe add a "any Spaghetti Incident song" in the set somewhere. That album doesn't get enough love. Maybe just have 'Hair of the dog' and 'Human Being' as option in the by request song.

1.  Welcome to the Jungle

2. Live and Let Die

3. Bad Obsession / Pretty tied up / Dead Horse

4. Chinese Democracy

5. Don't Cry

6. Think About You / It's So easy

7. You Could Be Mine

8. Attitude / 14 Years / Dust N' Bones (Duff Vocals)

9. *Any additional CD song*

// Move to B - stage (Acoustic/electric set)

10. Patience 

11. Brownstone / Used to Love her

12. You're Crazy / Move to the City

13. Knockin' on Heaven's Door

// Back to main stage

14. Slash Solo / VR Song with Duff on Vocals

15. Sweet Child O' Mine

16. *By request song voted by fans*

17. November Rain

18. Nightrain

// Encore

19. Estranged / Civil War

20. Out Ta Get Me

21. The Seeker / Nice Boys / Shadow of Your Love

22. Paradise City  

I like this. However Rocket Queen HAS to be in it for me - not the 10 min version but the normal one. It’s my favourite GNR song!

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I like this. However Rocket Queen HAS to be in it for me - not the 10 min version but the normal one. It’s my favourite GNR song!

Very fair, it's a great song. When the audience clap along going into the outro is a 10/10 show moment. 

It's current place before YCBM works pretty well. Just shorten the solo and have Axl change up his vocal approach. 

I wanna be optimistic so

1-Nightrain

2-Brownstone

3-CD

4-WTTJ

5-Hard School

6-DTJ-extended solo leading to

7-Civil War

8-New Song

9-New Song

10-You can't put your arms/attitude(duff) 

11-Patience (Electric version) 

12-New Song

13-Slash solo

14-SCOM

15-NR

16-NEW FUCKING SONG

17-KOHD(6MINUTE VERSION) /LALD *ALTERNATING PER NIGHT

18-Madagascar 

19-SOYL... Good night! 

Encore

20-Don't Cry

21-New Song

22-PC

Axl can do better every night if it's a short f'n set.