2021 Tour - How to create the perfect setlist?

This may be a very simple view but open with jungle, finish with paradise city, and plug in the classics and they can fill the rest with attic insulation for all I care. We on this forum have heard all the songs hundreds of times so this tour isn't for us necessarily(it was great to see the three lads on stage in fairness) It's nostalgia to get casual fans who know the hits to pay money.

I thought a lot about set listing and has come to an opinion, that I am okay with the current songs' order and selection, especially after unveiling some deep cuts in 2019 / 2020. I mean, they play all the hits, what more could we ask? More deep cuts? Yes. More variability? Yes. But, after all, if it's not your 10th or 20th concert, probably you have come to listen to WTTJ or PC or whatever. But, anyway, here is how I wish to organize the thing (sort of):

1    It's So Easy (CD, SOYL seems to be OK opening, but given the fact that Axl doesn't give a damn about much preparing for the show, ISE seems the best fit for him at any case. Nevertheless, good choice, short, easy to listen and fast paced)            
2    Mr. Brownstone (fits perfect as a continuation of ISE)   
3    Chinese Democracy  
4    Welcome to the Jungle (with long solo in the beginning for Axl resting his voice after first 3 songs)         
5    Double Talking Jive (long solo after and a first big break for Axl after killing it on WTTJ)            
6    Live and Let Die            
7    Shadow of My Love            
8    Rocket Queen (solo in the middle to let Axl's voice to rest after basically 3 songs again)            
9    Slither / Wichita Lineman / Feel Good / or other boring cover-filler    
10  There Was a Time / Coma / Locomotive (Never was really keen or Coma or Locomotive, but I feel it's a good idea to have them and switch from a show to show. And with There Was a Time (another pretty long song) just fill the 3rd optional spot)
11   You Could Be Mine (almost 1-minute of song's opening and allows Axl rest his voice, before going full rasp on YCBM)     
12   Attitude / New Rose / So Fine (other Duff's choice, another big break for Axl)    
13   This I Love (Axl tries his best after resting during Duff's spot)
14    Sorry / Catcher in the Rye / Prostitute / some other CD democracy stuff nobody cares about, Axl may doom it. 
15    Civil War (Axl's trying to kill it as he will have a break after anyway)           
16    Speak Softly Love (big break for Axl after he's done well with TIL and CW (or not)           
17    Sweet Child O' Mine  (tries his best, but, ya know)   
18    Used to Love Her / Yesterdays / Dead Horse (Some not so important / easy to sing after trying his best at SCOM)   
19    Don't Cry (Long solo before the song to give Axl time to prepare for the decent "And please remember..." part) 
20    Wish You Were Here (Love Fortus and Slash duo, let them keep it) 
21    November Rain (rested and prepared Axl nails November Rain (ha-ha, actually not)
22    Better (Long opening solo allows to move down the piano without interrupting the show) 
23    Estranged (just think that Estranged should be in the second part of the show. Wish it could be exactly after NR to put so called song trilogy together, but this way its okay as well).   
24    My Michelle / Out Ta Get Me / You're Crazy (easy, high-pitched song for Axl)    
25    Knockin' on Heavens Door (OWB + solos during the song allows Axl to prepare for the grand finale) 
26    Nightrain (a perfect closer) 
       Encore Break            
27    Patience (jam as an opening solo)            
28    Madagascar  
29    The Seeker / Whole Lotta Rosie / Black hole Sun (depending on Axl's state: if he feels good, can try WLR, not so — The Seeker. Feels sentimental — BHS)   
30    Paradise City            

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Haha 1

WTTJ, Easy, Nightrain, Out ta get me, Brownstone, My Michelle, RQ, Patience, Dust N Bones, LALD, Don't Cry, You ain't the first, Bad Obsession, Double Talkin ', Civil War, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, So fine, Estranged, New Rose, Down on the farm, Raw power, Attitude, You can't put ..., Look At Your Game, Chinese, Madagascar.
They are the only songs where Axl can do well today.

Sorry, my english is not very good

Edited by solrack777

So while I recognize cutting the setlist down in terms of overall songs might be better, I have to say I really loved the super long setlists from 2017, the pacing of the show was the issue with those here is my current thoughts on a setlist. It spreads out some of the lul from the back half which was my major issue. It makes the encore a roaring rock assault once you get through Estranged. 

*Assuming no new music*

1. It's So Easy
  2. Mr. Brownstone
  3. Chinese Democracy
  4. Welcome To The Jungle
  5. You Could Be Mine (It has to be somewhere may aswell get it done early)
  6. Double Talkin Jive (Extended Solo)
  7. Street Of Dreams
  8. Don't Cry
  9. Slither
  10. Live And Let Die
  11. Rocket Queen (Not too extended but there needs to be a decent length solo in the middle for Axl)
  12. So Fine
  13. Shadow Of Your Love
  14. Locomotive
  15. You're Crazy (Acoustic)
  16. Knockin On Heaven's Door (Acoustic)
  17. Patience (Acoustic w/ Babe I'm Gonna Leave You Intro)
  18. Dead Horse
  19. Coma
  20. Godfather Solo
  21. Sweet Child O Mine
  22. Better
  23. Think About You
  24. Prostitute (Extended solo)
  25. Attitude
  26. November Rain
  27. Madagasgar
  28. Civil War
  29. Paradise City

Encore

1. Estranged
  2. My Michelle
  3. Out Ta Get Me
  4. Nightrain
Edited by The Dissident

Something like this would be cool. Different enough from NITL, but not a complete overhaul.

Acoustic, with Slash playing electric on some songs:
1. You're Crazy
2. Move To The City
3. Dead Flowers
4. Used To Love Her
5. You Ain't The First
6. Patience
7. Fall To Pieces
8. Sorry / Street Of Dreams
9. November Rain
10. Wichita Lineman
11. Yesterdays / So Fine
12. Knockin' On Heavens Door

-Break-

Electric:
1. Welcome To The Jungle
2. It's So Easy
3. Mr. Brownstone
4. Chinese Democracy
5. Live And Let Die
6. Pretty Tied Up / Dead Horse
7. You Could Be Mine / Rocket Queen
8. Civil War
9. Slash Solo
10. Sweet Child O' Mine
11. Attitude
12. Think About You
13. Estranged
14. The Seeker / Black Hole Sun
15. Hardschool
16. Nightrain
17. Paradise City

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Something like this would be cool. Different enough from NITL, but not a complete overhaul.

1. You're Crazy
2. Move To The City
3. Dead Flowers
4. Used To Love Her
5. You Ain't The First
6. Patience
7. Fall To Pieces
9. November Rain
10. Wichita Lineman
11. Yesterdays / So Fine

-Break-

Electric:
1. Welcome To The Jungle
2. It's So Easy
3. Mr. Brownstone
4. Chinese Democracy
5. Live And Let Die
8. Civil War
9. Slash Solo
10. Sweet Child O' Mine
11. Attitude
12. Think About You
13. Estranged
15. Hardschool
16. Nightrain
17. Paradise City

Please no BHS....

I would be afraid how much mickey there would be for your crazy if it was at AFD pace. 

To me it’s about all new music to make the tour worth seeing. whether I like these or not they are musts:

WTTJ/ISO/Brownstone/Paradise/Patience/KOHD/Live and let die/estranged/don’t cry/YCBM/CD/Better

I want 4-5 deeper cut illusions and 5-6 new songs. IRS should be played every single show.

been to 10+ guns shows but no more unless there is new music. So I’ve probably seen my last GNR show already lol

Edited by circusboy666
  • Like 1

WTTJ was on the radio earlier.....like many on this thread I reckon it should be an opener again - they have enough other big hitters they don’t need to have this mid-set.

Great build up (do you know where the .......) and then boom right into the song. Place would be jumping.

• Like 1

On 31/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, solrack777 said:

WTTJ, Easy, Nightrain, Out ta get me, Brownstone, My Michelle, RQ, Patience, Dust N Bones, LALD, Don't Cry, You ain't the first, Bad Obsession, Double Talkin ', Civil War, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, So fine, Estranged, New Rose, Down on the farm, Raw power, Attitude, You can't put ..., Look At Your Game, Chinese, Madagascar.
They are the only songs where Axl can do well today.

Sorry, my english is not very good

A shame thyre so many fucking covers.

On 2020-08-04 at 10:32 PM, Sydney Fan said:

Please no BHS....

I would be afraid how much mickey there would be for your crazy if it was at AFD pace. 

I'm not a fan of BHS but after Cornell's Patience cover, I don't think they'll drop it.

If they did the AFD version of You're Crazy he'd have to scream his way through it, like SOYL. I prefer the Lies version anyway.

These are the songs from each record I think they should still play:

AFD: Jungle, Easy, Nightrain, Brownstone, Paradise, Sweet Child, Rocket Queen... They should also do Think About You at least once, since they soundchecked it

LIES: Patience, Used To Love Her, You’re Crazy

UYI1: Live & Let Die, Don’t Cry, Double Talkin’ Jive, November Rain... Would be cool if they kept Dead Horse also... I love that they made Coma a staple for awhile but I think it’s time to put that one back to bed

UYI2: Civil War, Yesterdays, Knocking, You Could, Estranged... They should also do Pretty Tied Up at least once, since they soundchecked it... Hearing Locomotive again for a bit was cool but it’s probably best to leave that one in the rarity bucket

TSI: Any one of the Duff songs (just to still give this album some representation)

VR: Slither (just to still give VR some representation... Axl sucks on this one, tho, but oh well!)

CD: Chinese Democracy (just to still give this album some representation)

LNL: Shadow of Your Love (obviously)

So 23 songs from the existing records that I still consider to be essential. Which doesn’t leave much room for new songs, sadly, but I guess that doesn’t matter cause it’s not looking like there’s gonna be a new album anyways. If the UYI box happens then I assume they’ll make some room for Ain’t Goin’ Down and that’s about it.

...Oh, and no more covers apart from LALD and KOHD, for fucks sake!

I don’t really care about the order, but it’d be nice if the band at least tune down to D, to accommodate for Axl’s voice. That’ll probably never happen tho, cause my guess is that Axl is too lazy to have to re-learn all the songs for D-tuning.

Edited by rocknroll41

If they really have new album plans:

1    New Album Opener Song
2    Easy
3    Brownstone 

4    Chinese
5    Jungle      
6    Double Talking Jive (really great)
7    Slither (VR)        
8    Let Die   
9    Rocket Queen        
10  Shadow (the new greatest hit)    
11   You Could Be Mine    
12   YCPYAAAM - So Fine
13   Street Of Dreams (alt w TWAT, Catcher, Sorry and Prostitute)
14   Perhaps
15   Pretty Tied Up  
16   Dead Horse (alt w Bad Obsession)
17   Sweet Child O' Mine 
18   TAY  (alt w OTGM and Michelle)
19   As It Began Intro - It is Allright - Rain
20   Hardshool
21   Knockin' on Heavens Door (acoustic) 
22   Quick Song (alt w new songs)
23   Nightrain

24    Atlas
25    Madagascar
26    Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC)
27    The Seeker(alt w Lies songs -Patience/UTLH/Crazy - and Cry)

28    Paradise City 

On 05/08/2020 at 1:51 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

1. You're Crazy
2. Move To The City
3. Dead Flowers
4. Used To Love Her
5. You Ain't The First
6. Patience
7. Fall To Pieces
9. November Rain
10. Wichita Lineman
11. Yesterdays / So Fine

-Break-

Electric:
1. Welcome To The Jungle
2. It's So Easy
3. Mr. Brownstone
4. Chinese Democracy
5. Live And Let Die
8. Civil War
9. Slash Solo
10. Sweet Child O' Mine
11. Attitude
12. Think About You
13. Estranged
15. Hardschool
16. Nightrain
17. Paradise City

Do this but put the acoustic set between the Slash solo and SCOM. And force Axl to sit down for the acoustic set so he can gather himself.

shorter setlist.  quantity does not equal quality. drop the covers (lineman and the seeker) and put some songs they haven't played in a while in there.

only covers they should do are the ones they recorded or maybe a VR or SMKC (specifically Anastasia) song.

On 06/08/2020 at 9:57 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I'll give this more thought another time but off the top of my head;

Shorten the set, lower the cost of tickets, move to smaller venues with better acoustics and have the Appetite five play a four song encore.

I took too long with this.

I tried to create a good ebb and flow with my picks and to give Axl's voice a break at times.

/ = alternates

Jungle, 
Easy, 
Brownstone, 
Live & Let Die, 
Double Talkin' Jive, 
Civil War,
You Could Be Mine,

You Ain't The First (acoustic),
You're Crazy (acoustic),
Dead Horse (acoustic),
Bad Obsession (acoustic),

Rocket Queen,  / Coma, / Locomotive, / Estranged,

Duff section

New Rose, 
Attitude,
Raw Power (Axl returns for backing vocals),
So Fine,

Chinese, 
Better,

November Rain,
Knockin', 

Encore;

A video plays where we see the Appetite skeletons board a train at different stations.

Nightrain
Reckless Life, / Nice Boys, / Move To The City, 
Don't Cry / Patience, / Yesterdays,
Paradise City

• 1 year later...

This is one of my favourite posts on the forum, it's kept me entertained for awhile, even though it's 2021, and the tour's already started with. The setlist for the tour, is, well, quite boring, so I'm going to make what think would be a cool setlist for the tour. I'm okay with some of the songs, but I think the setlist could be switched around a little bit.

1. It's So Easy (I'm actually not too disappointed this is the opener. Great hard-driving rock song, I think fits perfect for the opening slot)

2. Mr. Brownstone (perfect continuation from Easy)

3. Chinese Democracy (I don't know where to put it anywhere else, and this seems to work just fine)

4. Welcome To The Jungle (recent setlists put this as the sixth song in the set, but I think it suits better at the fourth spot)

5. Any Velvet Revolver Song (I mean, Duff & Slash were in a big band in the mid-2000's, so at least put in one VR songs. And I'm not saying just "Slither". If it works out better, Duff can sing it!)

6. Better / Sorry / Catcher In The Rye (The live performance of Better is mediocre, Axl sounds like he's struggling, and I feel like it would be cool to alternate with some other CD songs)

7. Estranged (It works at this spot. Could do it in the later part of the set, but this suits it just fine)

8. Live And Let Die (they need to get back to blowing stuff up and having crazy lights like they did on the UYI Tour. That would make it more amazing)

9. Shadow Of Your Love (maybe on good nights. The song is quite fast, and from some versions it seems as though Axl is having some difficulties. Maybe like, every 3 nights)

10. Rocket Queen (Good song to put halfway through the set, with Slash and Richard's jams, and the talkbox solo)

11. You Could Be Mine (Don't really have an issue with it being after RQ. Can't really put it anywhere else though...)

12. I Wanna Be Your Dog / Attitude / So Fine (I actually quite like how they're doing I Wanna Be Your Dog for Duff's solo spot, but I feel sometimes they should alternate with Attitude and So Fine)

13. Absurd / Hardskool (They seriously need to release Hardskool, I can't believe they're not. Absurd is okay, but Hardskool is better. Since the new (hopefully) GNR album isn't out yet, maybe alternate between the two..., or play both at some shows)

14. Double Talkin' Jive (this would have a great spot before Civil War. Seriously, I don't know why they didn't remember how great this sounded before CW)

15. Civil War (Perfect continuation from DTJ)

16. Pretty Tied Up / Think About You / ANY SONGS THEY HAVE SOUND CHECKED BUT HAVEN'T PLAYED!!! (I mean seriously, this is just getting ridiculous. Same setlist, different day. It's annoying. I don't care what song it is, if they haven't played it on the tour, play it. AND IT BETTER NOT BE A FUCKING COVER!!!)

17. Guitar Solo (Gives Axl a break)

18. Sweet Child O' Mine (I mean..., too good a song to drop....)

19. Dead Horse / Locomotive / Any UYI Deep Cut (considering it's the 30th anniversary of the UYI albums, maybe do some deep cuts. Kind of rotate between the songs. Bad Obsession would be cool)

20. November Rain (Well, we can't drop this)

21. Knockin' On Heavens Door (Can't drop this either)

22. Nightrain (Good closer, I'm happy with this one)

ENCORE

23. Patience (Let that song open the encore. Simple acoustic guitars, Axl begins whistling. Seems to be a great encore opener)

24. Yesterday / Used To Love Her (any of the half ballads. We need at least one of those in the set)

25. Don't Cry (can't drop it)

26. Any Song (do what the fans want. Try and do that for the 2022 European Tour. You've done the same thing for 5 years!! Aren't you getting bored?)

27. Paradise City (you can't not have this close a set)

• Like 1

Locomotive or coma should be a regular also  pretty tied up and dead horse, think about you,

get rid of live and let die and roquet queen, 

make you could be mine a one of 4 shows 

don t danm me, anything goes, shotgun blues, righ next door to hell or back off bitch instead 

instead of slither put dirty little thing or she build quick machine

from chinese streat of dreams, if the world in rotation with sorry, madagascar and this i love

twat should be a regular in rotation with prostitute

you r crazy should be a regular axl is killing it

sweet child of mine should be more dark i don t know how but is like a child song at this point 

7 hours ago, darkside259 said:

Locomotive or coma should be a regular also  pretty tied up and dead horse, think about you,

get rid of live and let die and roquet queen, 

make you could be mine a one of 4 shows 

don t danm me, anything goes, shotgun blues, righ next door to hell or back off bitch instead 

instead of slither put dirty little thing or she build quick machine

from chinese streat of dreams, if the world in rotation with sorry, madagascar and this i love

twat should be a regular in rotation with prostitute

you r crazy should be a regular axl is killing it

sweet child of mine should be more dark i don t know how but is like a child song at this point 

See this is the reason why I love this post. So many deep cuts, so many different songs, it really just keeps me entertained. I absolutely love it. I would really like for this thread to keep going

1) welcome to the jungle (great opener)

2) ABSURD

3) ABSURD again!

4) Chinese Democracy

5) hard skool intro leading into ABSURD!

6) black hole sun (acoustic)

7) ABSURD (ACOUSTIC)

8-11) knocking on heavens door extended edition

12) Slash solo (extended absurd instrumental jam)

13) sweet child o' mine

14) duff plays punk

15) November Absurd

16) rock the rock!

17) Slash nunchuck dance

18) Better with Melissa on vocals

19) black hole sun 

20) paradise city 

alt songs

1) eye on you

2)  silk worms

3) it's so absurd

• Like 1

15 hours ago, opalho said:

This is one of my favourite posts on the forum, it's kept me entertained for awhile, even though it's 2021, and the tour's already started with. The setlist for the tour, is, well, quite boring, so I'm going to make what think would be a cool setlist for the tour. I'm okay with some of the songs, but I think the setlist could be switched around a little bit.

1. It's So Easy (I'm actually not too disappointed this is the opener. Great hard-driving rock song, I think fits perfect for the opening slot)

2. Mr. Brownstone (perfect continuation from Easy)

3. Chinese Democracy (I don't know where to put it anywhere else, and this seems to work just fine)

4. Welcome To The Jungle (recent setlists put this as the sixth song in the set, but I think it suits better at the fourth spot)

5. Any Velvet Revolver Song (I mean, Duff & Slash were in a big band in the mid-2000's, so at least put in one VR songs. And I'm not saying just "Slither". If it works out better, Duff can sing it!)

6. Better / Sorry / Catcher In The Rye (The live performance of Better is mediocre, Axl sounds like he's struggling, and I feel like it would be cool to alternate with some other CD songs)

7. Estranged (It works at this spot. Could do it in the later part of the set, but this suits it just fine)

8. Live And Let Die (they need to get back to blowing stuff up and having crazy lights like they did on the UYI Tour. That would make it more amazing)

9. Shadow Of Your Love (maybe on good nights. The song is quite fast, and from some versions it seems as though Axl is having some difficulties. Maybe like, every 3 nights)

10. Rocket Queen (Good song to put halfway through the set, with Slash and Richard's jams, and the talkbox solo)

11. You Could Be Mine (Don't really have an issue with it being after RQ. Can't really put it anywhere else though...)

12. I Wanna Be Your Dog / Attitude / So Fine (I actually quite like how they're doing I Wanna Be Your Dog for Duff's solo spot, but I feel sometimes they should alternate with Attitude and So Fine)

13. Absurd / Hardskool (They seriously need to release Hardskool, I can't believe they're not. Absurd is okay, but Hardskool is better. Since the new (hopefully) GNR album isn't out yet, maybe alternate between the two..., or play both at some shows)

14. Double Talkin' Jive (this would have a great spot before Civil War. Seriously, I don't know why they didn't remember how great this sounded before CW)

15. Civil War (Perfect continuation from DTJ)

16. Pretty Tied Up / Think About You / ANY SONGS THEY HAVE SOUND CHECKED BUT HAVEN'T PLAYED!!! (I mean seriously, this is just getting ridiculous. Same setlist, different day. It's annoying. I don't care what song it is, if they haven't played it on the tour, play it. AND IT BETTER NOT BE A FUCKING COVER!!!)

17. Guitar Solo (Gives Axl a break)

18. Sweet Child O' Mine (I mean..., too good a song to drop....)

19. Dead Horse / Locomotive / Any UYI Deep Cut (considering it's the 30th anniversary of the UYI albums, maybe do some deep cuts. Kind of rotate between the songs. Bad Obsession would be cool)

20. November Rain (Well, we can't drop this)

21. Knockin' On Heavens Door (Can't drop this either)

22. Nightrain (Good closer, I'm happy with this one)

ENCORE

23. Patience (Let that song open the encore. Simple acoustic guitars, Axl begins whistling. Seems to be a great encore opener)

24. Yesterday / Used To Love Her (any of the half ballads. We need at least one of those in the set)

25. Don't Cry (can't drop it)

26. Any Song (do what the fans want. Try and do that for the 2022 European Tour. You've done the same thing for 5 years!! Aren't you getting bored?)

27. Paradise City (you can't not have this close a set)

I’d forgotten I’d created this post! 🤣

Welcome to the Jungle (Like they did in 2006)
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy / Shackler's Revenge (doesn't need to be Chinese every night on this spot)
Sorry / Catcher in the Rye / If the World / Prostitute / I.R.S. / Street of Dreams (use this spot to rotate Chinese less played songs)
Absurd (or another new song in the future)
Rocket Queen / You Could Be Mine / Shadow of Your Love (rotate these three hard to sing songs)
Knockin' on Heaven's Door (move up so you don't drawn the energy)
Think About You (considering what they did in 2020 rehearsals, this MUST be a staple)
Estranged
Bad Obsession (should fit Axl's vocals like a glove)
You're Crazy
So Fine / Dust N' Bones / 14 Years (Duff and Axl can share the vocals. Duff should sing Guns N' Roses material here, not covers)
Hard Skool (or another new song in the future)
Double Talkin' Jive
Civil War (great combo with DTJ, as someone stated)
Coma / Locomotive (rotate these monsters, tempo slowed down to help Axl)
Slash Solo (doesn't need to be a 10 min solo) / Sweet Child o' Mine (meh)
Out Ta Get Me / My Michelle (rotate these AFD songs)
November Rain
Pretty Tied Up (should be a staple as well)
Nightrain

Madagascar / There Was a Time (both should work as an encore opener)
Patience / Don't Cry (rotate both)
Used to love Her / You Ain't the First / Yesterdays
Paradise City

Keep all the songs as an alternate, so if you don't want to rotate Patience and Don't Cry for example, play both. This should make everyone happy. Live and Let Die, Better, Wichita and Seeker dropped. Same lenght they're doing, 26 songs. 

Edited by FabioRoses
  • Like 1