Interview with Frank (Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon)

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not trying to make excuses for Frank, but I can understand why he doesn't answer what seems to be even a simple question. If you had a dream job, and you knew your boss prefers his employees not to share information, even if you didn't approve of it, would you risk pissing off your boss and freely answer questions anyway?

maybe the policy in this band is too strict but that's not Frank's fault imo. He can only say what his position in the band allows him to say.

In which case, all he can basically do is give interviews without a single even mildly interesting GNR question. You know, like every other drummer does in their band.

No, I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't decrease the ridiculousness of the whole thing, not to me. I'd get it if they asked him about potential re-recording of the vocals or guitar, but his own instrument? And this "management"... I seem to have developed a serious case of allergy to them. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well his non-answer answers that question for us. I've been saying ever since that song came out that it had been rerecorded and the drums were most likely Frank.

27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's obvious that Frank (and Richard and Dizzy) can't/are not allowed to share information about things like new music, and it's understandable why they don't answer when asked.

The question about Shadow Of Your Love/AFD box set would be a simple one for him to answer if he weren't involved - he could just answer "no" with no problem. But if he was involved, it's not a simple question at all, since the band hasn't talked about it. So I think his non-answer can only interpreted in one way: that he was involved.

No doubts.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think we found the best and most effective way to get some of our Gn'R questions answered: you read their body language, you analyze their face expressions, you cross reference information from the database and consult other people's opinions and then you can easily interpret it well enough to come to the conclusion that yes, Frank was, in fact, probably involved in the reworking of Shadow Of Your Love when it came to his own instrument, at least to some extent.

"Richard Fortus' expressions clearly indicate a certain hopefulness that maybe someday new material will be released, whereas with Melissa's interviews you can clearly extrapolate her feelings of the GNR fam being "rad" and "lit".  

.. that's all I got :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think we found the best and most effective way to get some of our Gn'R questions answered: you read their body language, you analyze their face expressions, you cross reference information from the database and consult other people's opinions and then you can easily interpret it well enough to come to the conclusion that yes, Frank was, in fact, probably involved in the reworking of Shadow Of Your Love when it came to his own instrument, at least to some extent.

And also some of the people who are aware of the situation have found a way to ask questions. When Frank was interviewed on the Appetite for Distortion podcast recently, he was asked, I think by the guy from Golden Robot Records, Mark Alexander-Erber, (paraphrased): "In a hypothetical scenario where GnR were working on a new album, what would that album sound like?" :lol:

• Haha 1

RE new music GnR - we're in a pandemic, let's focus on that and staying safe and hope thigns return to normal. 'So pissr have a new album put in december' Yes. 

So the pandemic is only serious enough for GnR not to release new music, but individually it's ok? Riiiiiiight

I was in the camp that genuinely didn't think SOYL had re-recorded bits, but clearly I was wrong. Quite surprised. so which version on the box is he talking about? Presumably the one that was 'pushed' as the 'new track' at the time with a video etc? 

The Covid 19 excuse is classic. Especially in the week that one of the world's biggest pop stars (Taylor Swift) releases an album entirely made under lockdown....and (shock, horror!) it's released in a traditional way, i.e. as an album, through streaming, CD and vinyl copies. Who'd have thought it?!?! 

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I was in the camp that genuinely didn't think SOYL had re-recorded bits, but clearly I was wrong. Quite surprised. so which version on the box is he talking about? Presumably the one that was 'pushed' as the 'new track' at the time with a video etc? 

So was I, and I had doubted Steven when he said it wasn't him on the track (the "new" single), mostly because he didn't even remember the Mike Clink tryout session that version was originally recorded. But apparently he was right.

• Like 1

Yeah saying it’s cause of Covid just isn’t an excuse anymore when literally every other band is doing stuff right now.

GnR is not a real band anymore. That’s as clear as day to me now. 

Our only hope is if the UYI box has some interesting stuff on it and if we also get a ChiDem box someday, along with as much vaulted live audio and video as possible.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah saying it’s cause of Covid just isn’t an excuse anymore when literally every other band is doing stuff right now.

GnR is not a real band anymore. That’s as clear as day to me now. 

That's definately the impression they give us more and more with every passing day.

I really do hope that Slash and Duff leave again if nothing happens regarding new music. The reunion (so far) is just depressing, apart from 2016.

What has it brought us? Still no new music, same non-news from the band members, same silence from Axl, no Izzy, no Steven. The only difference is, Slash and Duff rapidly lose their integrity. 

• Like 2

Frank didn't say there is no new music because of Covid-19. After all, he has released a song himself during the pandemic, so he knows it's not an excuse :lol: He said people should now care about the pandemic over anything else, which, I guess, is just his way of saying "I can't answer this question so don't ask me."

Edited by Blackstar

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

Easily.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Of course he didn't answer about new GnR music. But there is an interesting non-answer at the end of the interview about whether he was involved in the AFD box set. Also an answer to a question that was not asked: "The guys in the band like my drumming".

But really. Who cares if he was involved?

6 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Fot those who don’t want to watch:

1. New Music? 

Covid-19-excuse. 

2. Have you re-recorded drums for Shadow of your love (and others)? 

Long smirking and then: „Its a question for the management“ ,,, means h did. 

Seriously. How pathetic is your life, when you can't say "yes" or "no" to the question on whether you played drums on a track.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

But really. Who cares if he was involved?

Many people did at the time SOYL and the box set were released, and there was a lot of debate on here. And besides, the track was marketed as the original recording from 1986, so it does matter.

If Frank played on a song but Steven is the one credited in the liner notes (so Frank basically ghost-played), it's not a simple question for him to answer.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1