Interview with Frank (Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon)

57 minutes ago, Patatrak said:

the reasons are simple, dont be disapointed!

that is not a band

that is a company

he is not a musician

he is an employee

Guns N' Roses is a band

That makes money(Shocker)

Frank is a musician

He is a full member of the band.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think the whole song is rerecorded, Axl, Slash, Duff, and my guess is 4tus did Izzy's part. That's what I hear when I listen to it anyway. There's too many hints that point to it being rerecorded.

If its re recorded then it should put all rumors to rest that axl cant sing anymore. Axl's vocals scream 1980s

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Guns N' Roses is a band

Frank is a musician

If its re recorded then it should put all rumors to rest that axl cant sing anymore. Axl's vocals scream 1980s

I’m not buying the vocals are new - that’s a bit far. I think he could kill it in the studio but not to this level.

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I remember you always said that indeed. 

And now we can also say about the extremely high possibility that Slash also recorded new parts for the song, right? We've been saying that too. 

I always thought that the phrasing of at the very least the main solo sounded more like modern Slash than the Slash of 1986, so now it seems like that could very well be the case.

To add my own thoughts to the discussion of Frank's indirect answer - I'm guessing he must have signed some sort of non-disclosure as a ghost player since the set was marketed as the five original members. Similar to how Ace Frehley's image was used on the KISS album Creatures of the Night and he is credited despite not playing a single note on the album.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Well, like I said, if he didn't play it would be simple for him to answer, but if he did play it's not, because it is ghost playing (which, by definition, is not something to admit publicly).

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

To add my own thoughts to the discussion of Frank's indirect answer - I'm guessing he must have signed some sort of non-disclosure as a ghost player since the set was marketed as the five original members. Similar to how Ace Frehley's image was used on the KISS album Creatures of the Night and he is credited despite not playing a single note on the album.

I think Frank played on the track, but they used Adler's snare and/or bass drum sample for the sound.

So technically they could still say that's Adler's sound, but not performed by him? I don't know.

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I always thought that the phrasing of at the very least the main solo sounded more like modern Slash than the Slash of 1986, so now it seems like that could very well be the case.

Indeed, Slash's tone, phrasing and overall style didn't sound like him back in 1987. Even more so if we consider they supposedly used the song as a test in pre-production, before they even made the full album (when all the talk about Slash trying different guitars until he found that LP knock-off). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, axlvai said:

He's fired in a second. Not a great time to lose your job isnt?

We all know that SOYL is a remake with this line up. 

Well. Considering they can't do any concerts anymore, I would say, it's the best time. :P Because what else is there?

Well this comment from Fernando about the SOYL release being from the "original tapes" has definitely aged well in that case lol.  Maybe he forgot to mention that they took the original tapes and deleted and re-recorded some of the tracks?

I don't honestly understand what about it has to be so secretive.  When is saying a band took an old recording and overdubbed new parts on it this unspeakable thing?  Nobody would care, hell maybe it would win people over to Frank's drumming because he sounds pretty good on it if it is him

Edited by WhazUp

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Well this comment from Fernando about the SOYL release being from the "original tapes" has definitely aged well in that case lol.  Maybe he forgot to mention that they took the original tapes and deleted and re-recorded some of the tracks?

I don't honestly understand what about it has to be so secretive.  When is saying a band took an old recording and overdubbed new parts on it this unspeakable thing?  Nobody would care, hell maybe it would win people over to Frank's drumming because he sounds pretty good on it if it is him

I agree. They could have just as easily presented it as a "new" song instead of marketing it as an unreleased demo or whatever. It worked wonders with Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth. Every song was recycled from old demos, finished, and re-recorded. Die hard fans knew they were "old" songs but as far as general audiences were concerned it was the first new music with Roth in some 16 years.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I agree. They could have just as easily presented it as a "new" song instead of marketing it as an unreleased demo or whatever. It worked wonders with Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth. Every song was recycled from old demos, finished, and re-recorded. Die hard fans knew they were "old" songs but as far as general audiences were concerned it was the first new music with Roth in some 16 years.

It’s weird, too, since Axl has seemed to want to give his hired guys opportunities to show their chops, has never seemed to be interested in maintaining any kind of AFD lineup “purity” and he still doesn’t seem to like Adler much at all.

Maybe it was dictated by the label for marketing as you touched on; would they have that kind of control?

Edited by Ant

1 hour ago, Ant said:

It’s weird, too, since Axl has seemed to want to give his hired guys opportunities to show their chops, has never seemed to be interested in maintaining any kind of AFD lineup “purity” and he still doesn’t seem to like Adler much at all.

Maybe it was dictated by the label for marketing as you touched on; would they have that kind of control?

1 hour ago, axlvai said:

Or just maybe dont want to promote the hired band members (excluding Duff n Slash).... uh?

It could be somewhere in between where the band is basically promoted as "Axl, Slash, and Duff" since 2016 despite the others being "official" members. Not necessarily out of spite, but in logistics.

Axl said in an interview that the drumming on AFD was perfect for the album at the time it was recorded, but it was the most dated thing on that album. So probably the purpose was just for the drumming on SOYL to sound a little more modern.

• Like 1

as someone else posted, Steven doesnt think it's his drum playing.   that's messed up that Frank was too scared to answer (even though he pretty much did)

But you know what's really fucked up?  Axl destroys Trump all over twitter, and yet Axl runs his own band as if he is Joseph Stalin.  

• Like 1

Just watched the interview, Frank seems like a good dude & it was great hearing him talk about the band & all the other stuff. That’s definitely interesting what the said about the AFD box set, combine that with what Steven said it seems clearer that frank played on SOYL. I don’t mind that they did it it’s just why put that out on the AFD box set? They could have freshened up some other old tunes like Ain’t Going Down & Jumping Jack Flash, had slash & Duff overdub their parts on some CD outtakes & just released that as a new record like VH did with their last album. That’s just my 2 cents tho.

Edited by The Matinator

1 hour ago, The Matinator said:

Listening to the track now, anybody think it’s possible that they punched in Frank on certain parts like they did on the CD songs? There’s definitely parts that sound like Steven but certain sections sound like franks current live version. 

Edited by The Matinator

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Axl said in an interview that the drumming on AFD was perfect for the album at the time it was recorded, but it was the most dated thing on that album. So probably the purpose was just for the drumming on SOYL to sound a little more modern.

BAD TAKE, AX 

11 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I’d be amazed if it was new vocals. Sounds like original to me. It wouldn’t surprise me if the track was fixed ala drums/guitar patches  - who knows what state the original tapes were in for the song?

9 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Guns N' Roses is a band

Frank is a musician

9 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I’m not buying the vocals are new - that’s a bit far. I think he could kill it in the studio but not to this level.

I'm 100% convinced it's new vocals. He can still do it in the studio (rock the rock) and this isn't a particularly difficult song for him to sing.

And I don't think there's any samples of Steven or anything like that on it too, I think it's all Frank. He probably listened to it and they told him not to change it up too much so that people would still think it's Steven, but it's pretty obvious that it's not. No recording of Steven playing that song (studio or live) sounds like that.

Why they can't just admit that it's a new recording and that they never released the supposed Mike Clink audition tape? I guess that's a question for their management :lol:

Edited by MaskingApathy
  • Like 3

Great to see Frank.  Best smile in GNR.

Totally distracted by the cats. :lol:  I kept waiting for the one that walked behind the couch to jump up from behind it.  Didn't realize there was another one on the couch until it moved towards the end.  I think most of the GNR folks have cats.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rovim said:

sounds like a question for management

I cant understand to evade answering a question he would say "speak to management". Why?. Does he think TB would answer it anyway?. If thats the sort of answers he gives why does he bother doing interviews?. Lets be honest if a new album gets released he sure wont be in charge to do or get asked to do  interviews. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I cant understand to evade answering a question he would say "speak to management". Why?. Does he think TB would answer it anyway?. If thats the sort of answers he gives why does he do interviews?. 

He's saying "I'm not allowed to tell you about this, so please read between the lines". But yes, such interviews are quite lame if they won't disclose anything of interest. 

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Weird because i  really dont find the album dated at all. Only if someone feels offence to the lyrics...

7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

He's saying "I'm not allowed to tell you about this, so please read between the lines". But yes, such interviews are quite lame if they won't disclose anything of interest. 

But there are going to be interviewers who will try and trip him up and ask questiins he doesnt want to answer. If you cant answer honestly whats the point of doing them. I thought the question, or answer wasnt going to be a click bait article.

I liked the old band when interviewed they would air their dirty laundry going on in the band at the time. It may not have been appropriate but was always honest!. 

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1