Interview with Frank (Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon)

8 hours ago, cineater said:

In all fairness it was an interview about him and what he was doing.  Not an interview about what GNR is doing.  He has an album coming out with Pisser but they really didn't go into what the songs were on there.  If you were a big Pisser fan you would have found that interview lacking in details about new music.

Frank does great interviews.

Correct, and I love Frank but 99% could care less about what “he” is doing, his new album or anything non GnR related. Him and Richard only get interviewed about their “new” projects so the interviewer can casually slip in some Guns related questions and hope to get some new news out of them. Let’s be honest, how many people read/listen to these interviews to find out anything non GnR related? Wish more people had some balls and just asked all Guns related stuff to each member interviewed (regardless of whatever interview rules they agreed to beforehand) and see what happens. What’s the worst that could happen? Guns stops giving interviews? It’s pretty much been that way already for the last 20 years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont know why the big3 could not have sittin down together and done an interview with an interviewer they could trust and just talk about the NITL tour, thanked those that attended and just a really casual interview.

Axl would probably say no unfortunately. They've already shown that they don't really care about the fans.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think if it was an all new recording they would say it and sell it as that. It's more likely it was only partly overdubbed/"improved" (the drums and lead guitar - since it turns out Steven was right about the drums, he was probably about the lead guitar, too) and this is why they didn't say it.

4 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

Wasn't Shadow Of Your Love (the 2018 single) recorded in 1987 just before the AFD Recording Session with Mike Clink? I'm pretty sure, it's young Axl with his AfD voice. Drums and Slash's Lead is  re-recorded but Axl voice is from 1987

Idk I'm still standing by my assertion that it's a 100% new recording. To me the timbre of Axl's voice sounds like how it does now and less like how it did in 1986. Plus if you listen to a live version from 2018 or whenever his voice sounds exactly the same as the (new) recording.

• Confused 1

On 7/30/2020 at 2:17 AM, MaskingApathy said:

Well his non-answer answers that question for us. I've been saying ever since that song came out that it had been rerecorded and the drums were most likely Frank.

Same. I also firmly believe there were some vocals and guitar parts re-recorded as well...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Correct, and I love Frank but 99% could care less about what “he” is doing, his new album or anything non GnR related. Him and Richard only get interviewed about their “new” projects so the interviewer can casually slip in some Guns related questions and hope to get some new news out of them. Let’s be honest, how many people read/listen to these interviews to find out anything non GnR related? Wish more people had some balls and just asked all Guns related stuff to each member interviewed (regardless of whatever interview rules they agreed to beforehand) and see what happens. What’s the worst that could happen? Guns stops giving interviews? It’s pretty much been that way already for the last 20 years. 

I kinda agree and disagree. There are rules for climbing the ladder, and maybe the don't give a fuck attitude serves you well and you climb it regardless! but most who don't play the game, never really the into the game! 

Now! if you're interviewing anybody from GNR past or present and you don't ask them about GNR, I really have no words! if that person is out there doing interviews and they are refusing to talk about the main thing people know them from there really isn't much point talking to them!

Having said all of that, I have enjoyed Richards interviews from a guitar perspective and as someone who generally likes to know the goings on within the session world! he has done a lot and I find him interesting in or out of GNR! But of course I still want those few gnr nuggets! 

As much as I was certain of Slash's leads and the drums, I was a little more torn on Axl's vocals but I do also lean on those being new as well. He sounds like he did for AXL/DC and its unlike any of the other old recordings of it. His timbre was more nasal in the other recordings we have from 1986, whereas his timbre here is basically what he sounded like at his best in 2016.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Yes. And even though I want to know about GNR, I still don't watch his interviews. So yeah. ;):P

Just to be clear...which version on the Super Deluxe are we referring to? Disc 2 Track 5 (labelled as 'live') or Disc 4 Track 1? 

If the latter, what's it listed as in the sleeve notes in terms of origin? My box set is packed away at present so can't check..... 

Edited by allwaystired

On 30/07/2020 at 7:43 AM, Rovim said:

I think we found the best and most effective way to get some of our Gn'R questions answered: you read their body language, you analyze their face expressions, you cross reference information from the database and consult other people's opinions and then you can easily interpret it well enough to come to the conclusion that yes, Frank was, in fact, probably involved in the reworking of Shadow Of Your Love when it came to his own instrument, at least to some extent.

Yep that definitely clears things up🤣 to some extent! 

I think he did say it without saying g it though. I don't think he played the whole track, but he may have overdubbed to thicken the sound. Hey it sounds great, and I thought it was Steven so he did a great job if it is hom the whole way through it! This should be a good thing for all the Frank haters. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Idk I'm still standing by my assertion that it's a 100% new recording. To me the timbre of Axl's voice sounds like how it does now and less like how it did in 1986. Plus if you listen to a live version from 2018 or whenever his voice sounds exactly the same as the (new) recording.

I'd like this to be true, because if SOYL is an example of what the current band - and especially Axl - would sound like in the studio, then it's very good!

• Like 2

As a drummer who learned to play drums by listening to Steven Adler. I'm pretty positive it's not Steven. I CAN SAY every drum beat is exactly the same as Steven played it, but the drums itself sound so different, more modern. One other thing I noticed (if I can say this correctly) on SOYL Steven would hit the crash symbol and continue playing the beat. On this new version, after he hits the crash symbol there is a crash/snare combo hit. Lars Ulrich does this a lot, like in Enter Sandman, but Steven has almost never done it. This is what my trained ears hear while listening to this version.

Plus those quick guitar licks by Slash are most definitely added after the fact.

• Like 1

Can someone please enlighten me what's the actual use of re-recording a 30 year b-side that was perfectly fine in the first place note by note (more or less) with different equipment and (somewhat) different musicians? That situation is like a novelist having a classic novel and then re-writing the whole thing word by word just because Apple released a new macbook to type on and the writer got back with his ex wife. That's not even rock and roll style insanity and decadence anymore, that's absolute batshit crazy mental asylum level right there. Looks like the Terminator was right - waste of ammo.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

I reached out late last year and got a response from his rep. "He tends to do very little press these days… but hope springs eternal!" This reminds me to follow up.

Cool. Apparently he will be involved with the Reckless Road podcast so maybe now is the time to try and get him....😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 31illusions said:

As a drummer who learned to play drums by listening to Steven Adler. I'm pretty positive it's not Steven. I CAN SAY every drum beat is exactly the same as Steven played it, but the drums itself sound so different, more modern. One other thing I noticed (if I can say this correctly) on SOYL Steven would hit the crash symbol and continue playing the beat. On this new version, after he hits the crash symbol there is a crash/snare combo hit. Lars Ulrich does this a lot, like in Enter Sandman, but Steven has almost never done it. This is what my trained ears hear while listening to this version.

Plus those quick guitar licks by Slash are most definitely added after the fact.

Yeah, thanks, but we know it's not Steven, we've known since it came out, you don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. You don't need to be a drummer either.

1 hour ago, DonkeyNuts said:

Yeah, thanks, but we know it's not Steven, we've known since it came out, you don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. You don't need to be a drummer either.

Oh, so you are unaware 30 year old recordings can be manipulated to sound different? It can be, drastically. I am not positive it's Frank either. If you listen to Frank Live. He misses drum fills and plays very different than the 1986 recording too.  Frank is terrible but the 1986 version is spot on with Steven. That's my point.