Interview with Frank (Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon)

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

Oh, so you are unaware 30 year old recordings can be manipulated to sound different? It can be, drastically. I am not positive it's Frank either. If you listen to Frank Live. He misses drum fills and plays very different than the 1986 recording too.  Frank is terrible but the 1986 version is spot on with Steven. That's my point.

That is why I am torn.  At first, I thought it was Steven but just with a heavily processed, compressed, and altered drum sound due to remixing it from the multi-tracks with different production tendencies compared to Steven's past drum sound.  

I am kinda at this point going back and forth between it - I knew from the get-go that Slash's licks sound like recent Slash and I wouldn't put it past GNR to re-record stuff knowing Axl's tendency to needlessly re-record things lol.  If it is Frank, I must admit that bodes really well for potential future material because it rocks

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I guess the people who say they hear Melissa mean the "whoo" on the chorus :lol:. But that was there in other versions (I think in the Pasha Studios one).

Yea it's pretty clearly Duff / Izzy.

As for the drums... the playing itself sounds like Steven, and it's not the same as what Frank plays live, but it's been processed and compressed into a 'modern' drum sound. I think the most logical answer would be that it's mostly an original drum track (recorded by Steven in 1986) with possibly some overdubs by Frank - similar to how Frank is credited on Better and IRS, but he only added little bits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

I reached out late last year and got a response from his rep. "He tends to do very little press these days… but hope springs eternal!" This reminds me to follow up.

If you do end up interviewing him please ask about this.

3 hours ago, Ratam said:

He afraid to be fired like Pitman was.....

That wouldn't be such a bad thing would it? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Oh, so you are unaware 30 year old recordings can be manipulated to sound different? It can be, drastically. I am not positive it's Frank either. If you listen to Frank Live. He misses drum fills and plays very different than the 1986 recording too.  Frank is terrible but the 1986 version is spot on with Steven. That's my point.

I'm not unaware of any such thing. Everything points to it not being Steven. I never said it was Frank, but it's not Steven Adler. When it came out many of us thought it wasn't Steven. Then Steven came out and said it's not him. What more do you need? 

On 31.7.2020 at 3:54 PM, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Correct, and I love Frank but 99% could care less about what “he” is doing, his new album or anything non GnR related. Him and Richard only get interviewed about their “new” projects so the interviewer can casually slip in some Guns related questions and hope to get some new news out of them. Let’s be honest, how many people read/listen to these interviews to find out anything non GnR related? Wish more people had some balls and just asked all Guns related stuff to each member interviewed (regardless of whatever interview rules they agreed to beforehand) and see what happens. What’s the worst that could happen? Guns stops giving interviews? It’s pretty much been that way already for the last 20 years. 

True. Nobody really gives a shit about what Frank and Richard do outside guns. It's just irrelevant

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, NachoLZ said:

So if Adler's drumming was rerecorded by Frank, what about Izzy's guitar by Fortus?

Yes

43 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

True. Nobody really gives a shit about what Frank and Richard do outside guns. It's just irrelevant

Exactly. If they weren't in GnR no one would know or care who they are.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yes

Exactly. If they weren't in GnR no one would know or care who they are.

Unfortunately some cannot resist the need to belittle current band members and their skills. 

Actually the only people who seem obsessed are those people in a thread who have chosen to focus on a song, who's rightfull owner can do as they please, with whom ever they choose to in relation to playing any  instrument. 

What ever you guys think is irrelevant.

If the topic of the interview had been about a particular song and Franks involvement in that song, than have at it, as Frank has opened the door for people to admire or for criticism.. 

That was not the case with this interview.. 

Edited by kiwiguns

2 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Unfortunately some cannot resist the need to belittle current band members and their skills. 

Actually the only people who seem obsessed are those people in a thread who have chosen to focus on a song, who's rightfull owner can do as they please, with whom ever they choose to in relation to playing any  instrument. 

If the topic of the interview had been about a particular song and Franks involvement in that song, than have at it, as Frank has opened the door for people to admire or for criticism.. 

With all due respect, I don't think I have seen a post from you that is about music, only policing what you think fans should be saying or not lol

Sometimes there are ebbs and flows to discussions and Frank's comments opened up the SOYL debate, which is totally legit

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

What

• Like 1

The drumming is likely triggers.

Frank would have recorded his kit separately (so hit a hi-hat multiple times, record that and pick the best one, then hit a snare multiple times, record that and pick the best one... and so on). 

These recordings would then be overlayed onto the original recording, so everytime Steven hit a snare it would trigger Frank's newly recorded snare. It's even possible to volume-adjust these days to capture the dynamics.

This gets the "feeling" of Steven, but with the modern drum sound of Frank to bring it into the more polished 21st century.

In addition to this I think they may have done some tempo adjustments, so made it fit more to a click which, again, is easy these days. Drag and drop almost to overlay to the beat. That's why it sounds ever so slightly robotic.

5 minutes ago, Gaanzer said:

That gives me hope with regards to a new version of Hard School. :headbang:

I think all of we self called fans know that voice is vintage Axl prior to AFD...its just different to AFD and obviously UYI...very close to Reckless life...

You can also tell its old because of his pronounciation of words...nowadays he just sings different not only clean/rasp but also how he pronounces words

I definitely hear young Axl in the majority of SOYL, particularly in the high clean notes. The only part that really sounds out of place and similar to Axl's modern mannerisms is the grunting 'ugh' sound at 1:50 in the official video (below). If we compare SOYL to Rock the Rock, i think there are distinct differences in Axl's tone and technique.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

At least during the Chinese era band, the band members could talk like band members "we were in the studio... I played on this... it sounds good... soon".

I don't know what kind of BS non disclosure they've put on these guys but it's really off putting! I can't believe there needs to ge this level of secrecy. Above anything it just makes the members look so uninformed and it does nothing to change the dictator stigma Axl hates so much.

Cats out of the bag, everybody knows that gnr are at least considering new music! He should at least be able to say "I have been in the studio, but I don't know what will be used yet, so I don't want to say anything more". It says nothing but at least it's honest. And he is trying his best, but he's painted into a corner where he has to talk like a politician. Such BS!

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

At least during the Chinese era band, the band members could talk like band members "we were in the studio... I played on this... it sounds good... soon".

I don't know what kind of BS non disclosure they've put on these guys but it's really off putting! I can't believe there needs to ge this level of secrecy. Above anything it just makes the members look so uninformed and it does nothing to change the dictator stigma Axl hates so much.

Cats out of the bag, everybody knows that gnr are at least considering new music! He should at least be able to say "I have been in the studio, but I don't know what will be used yet, so I don't want to say anything more". It says nothing but at least it's honest. And he is trying his best, but he's painted into a corner where he has to talk like a politician. Such BS!

The band members, like Richard and Dizzy, have been discredited and ridiculed for saying things like this too often in the past (although it wasn't their fault), so probably the purpose of the "gag order" now is exactly to avoid this.

It doesn't make a difference, practically, for the fans anyway. If Frank said something along these lines, everybody here would say, "Uh, we've heard this a million times in the past" blah blah blah. So it's maybe for the best that they don't say anything.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The band members, like Richard and Dizzy, have been discredited and ridiculed for saying things like this too often in the past (although it wasn't their fault), so probably the purpose of the "gag order" now is exactly to avoid this.

It doesn't make a difference, practically, for the fans anyway. If Frank said something along these lines, everybody here would say, "Uh, we've heard this a million times in the past" blah blah blah. So it's maybe for the best that they don't say anything.

I think it's there to protect Axl from journalists citing things "In x year they said this... years later we're still waiting". He's obviously aware of the fascination and media attention CD got, and he unintentionally fed that with his sporadic interviews... it looks like now, his approach is say nothing, so he can't be held accountable for anything. 

Don't think it's for the benefit of Dizzy, Melissa, Frank or Richard... and I'd bet they'd love to just be able to talk like normal people! 😁

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think it's there to protect Axl from journalists citing things "In x year they said this... years later we're still waiting". He's obviously aware of the fascination and media attention CD got, and he unintentionally fed that with his sporadic interviews... it looks like now, his approach is say nothing, so he can't be held accountable for anything. 

Don't think it's for the benefit of Dizzy, Melissa, Frank or Richard... and I'd bet they'd love to just be able to talk like normal people! 😁

I don't think it's that, because Slash talks and even Susan talks (she gave update without being asked saying specifically that she got "permission" to talk about it). And Fernando always says "the guys" referring only to Axl, Slash and Duff. So I think it's more that, in addition to (maybe) "protecting" Frank etc. from having to answer these questions, they want to send the message that there's a hierarchy where Axl, Slash and Duff are the "main guys" who make the decisions. So it's a situation where one of the "main guys" wife is on a higher level than people who play in the band.

Edited by Blackstar