Interview with Frank (Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon)

26 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think it's that, because Slash talks and even Susan talks (she gave update without being asked saying specifically said she got "permission" to talk about it). And Fernando always says "the guys" referring only to Axl, Slash and Duff. So I think it's more that,  in addition to (maybe) "protect" Frank etc. from having to answer these questions, they want to send the message that there's a hierarchy where Axl, Slash and Duff are the "main guys" who make the decisions. So it's a situation where one of the "main guys" wife is on a higher level than people who play in the band.

Or former nannies. Or their entitled sons. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think it's that, because Slash talks and even Susan talks (she gave update without being asked saying specifically said she got "permission" to talk about it). And Fernando always says "the guys" referring only to Axl, Slash and Duff. So I think it's more that,  in addition to (maybe) "protect" Frank etc. from having to answer these questions, they want to send the message that there's a hierarchy where Axl, Slash and Duff are the "main guys" who make the decisions. So it's a situation where one of the "main guys" wife is on a higher level than people who play in the band.

I agree the hierarchy thing and that somehow wives are higher up the foodchain than musicians who aren't the big 3... but I still think Axl is on the defensive after CD and wants to control everything that is GNR, and doesn't want outside pressures because of loose tongues. Regardless the whole thing is crazy.

If they release an album and Frank is asked what snare he used on a certain song, will he be allowed to answer? "Um.... I'd like to say that's a question for management"  Where and when did you record your parts? "Um.... I'd like to say that's a question for management". Did you play together in the room "I plead the 5th" :frank:

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree the hierarchy thing and that somehow wives are higher up the foodchain than musicians who aren't the big 3... but I still think Axl is on the defensive after CD and wants to control everything that is GNR, and doesn't want outside pressures because of loose tongues. Regardless the whole thing is crazy.

If they release an album and Frank is asked what snare he used on a certain song, will he be allowed to answer? "Um.... I'd like to say that's a question for management"  Where and when did you record your parts? "Um.... I'd like to say that's a question for management". Did you play together in the room "I plead the 5th" :frank:

To be fair, though, these examples are not the same thing as SOYL. I suppose if they release a new album Frank will be credited for what he plays, so of course he will be answering questions about it, like he does now about his live playing etc. But he's not credited for playing on SOYL, so he isn't allowed to talk about it.

There also the possibility that Frank, Richard etc. are out of the loop so they really don't have anything to say re: new music. Slash said he has jammed with Axl and Duff without mentioning anyone else, Susan said that Axl, Slash and Duff have been working together, and Fernando is saying the same. So it's likely that the other members haven't been involved in whatever has been going on, and that if/when the time comes to record they'll be called to play what they're told. 

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

To be fair, though, these examples are not the same thing as SOYL. I suppose if they release a new album Frank will be credited for what he plays, so of course he will be answering questions about it, like he does now about his live playing etc. But he's not credited for playing on SOYL, so he isn't allowed to talk about it.

There also the possibility that Frank, Richard etc. are out of the loop so they really don't have anything to say re: new music. Slash said he has jammed with Axl and Duff without mentioning anyone else, Susan said that Axl, Slash and Duff have been working together, and Fernando is saying the same. So it's likely that the other members haven't been involved in whatever has been going on, and that if/when the time comes to record they'll be called to play what they're told. 

Ugh! 🤣

That somes that up!

You are probably right, and that is the info we have. Why couldn't they have just said "if you get asked about this, you absolutely did not record drums on SOYL" a lie or not, if they don't want people to think it, Frank giving a definitive answer shuts it down. I never thought he played on it before watching that interview, now I 100% believe he at least touched it up. I'm inclined to go back to what Adler said when it came out and say the version that came out was worked on and is not the untouched 1986 recording... I think I laughed at Adler at the time, but I think I was wrong! Sorry Steve!!😄

• Like 1

As for SOYL... first off, I don’t think it could be an old/new mixture as someone suggested. No matter how good Axl still may be (and I believe he really is) in the studio, he couldn’t make it sound exactly the way he did over 30 years ago and blend it like this. 
And secondly, like I’ve said here before, I believe this was remade. There are several hints, but you can go just with the final sha-na-na-na thing, which doesn’t really have the quality of "n", rather almost like "d", which is exactly the way he’s been singing it live during NITL. Unlike the old days, where there always was "n", like in WTTJ, Nice Boys etc. Just go ahead and give it a listen. 
It’s great news, obviously. He can pull this, and he can pull RtR, which is cool because it’s in the middle register he hasn’t normally done live since 2010. Summary: the studio Axl rules. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Richard

I know a lot of you are guitarists (so am I, for the last 25 years, and mainly because of Slash/Izzy influence) and I know everybody is entitled to an opinion but to me there is no doubt that Izzy is playing rhythm in SOYL...if you compare all the existing versions of SOYL and listen to an isolated left channel of the AFD Boxset SOYL multitracks you clearly hear Izzy's tone, phrasing, style, call it whatever you want...I'm not saying that it's totally impossible to replicate that in the studio, but why bother when everything sounds just like Izzy (royalties come to mind, but, again, why bother when releasing material with Izzy all over it anyway).

My take on other SOYL "players": definitely old Axl (except already mentioned "ugh" before the solo), Frank because of doubled crash cymbals in the intro and pre-chorus sections), old Slash track with added completely new Slash licks and solo.

So anyway, that's my two cents, it's still sad that we have to guess and CSI everything Gn'R related!

• Like 1

Listening back to back, I now think Axl’s vocal is entirely new but messed about with in some way. The ‘s’ at the end of lines sound very... ‘processed’? Even so, I’ll take them doing that on a new album because he does a respectable job of performing this song live.

There are three guitars in there and it would be nice to think Izzy is in the mix as a mark of respect if nothing else but I suspect he isn’t because there is no respect.

On August 5, 2020 at 5:12 AM, bojan said:

I know a lot of you are guitarists (so am I, for the last 25 years, and mainly because of Slash/Izzy influence) and I know everybody is entitled to an opinion but to me there is no doubt that Izzy is playing rhythm in SOYL...if you compare all the existing versions of SOYL and listen to an isolated left channel of the AFD Boxset SOYL multitracks you clearly hear Izzy's tone, phrasing, style, call it whatever you want...I'm not saying that it's totally impossible to replicate that in the studio, but why bother when everything sounds just like Izzy (royalties come to mind, but, again, why bother when releasing material with Izzy all over it anyway).

My take on other SOYL "players": definitely old Axl (except already mentioned "ugh" before the solo), Frank because of doubled crash cymbals in the intro and pre-chorus sections), old Slash track with added completely new Slash licks and solo.

So anyway, that's my two cents, it's still sad that we have to guess and CSI everything Gn'R related!

What throws me for a bit of a loop regarding Izzy or Fortus is that the rhythm guitar playing on SOYL is so limber and agile. By the end of Izzys tenure he was not playing in a limber and agile manner at all. Theres only little hints of that finesse on UYIs.

But he was that agile in 86. Its just that to hear a "new" release with Izzy playing that way is maybe slightly eyebrow raising. Im not sure where I land on this question.

15 minutes ago, soon said:

What throws me for a bit of a loop regarding Izzy or Fortus is that the rhythm guitar playing on SOYL is so limber and agile. By the end of Izzys tenure he was not playing in a limber and agile manner at all. Theres only little hints of that finesse on UYIs.

But he was that agile in 86. Its just that to hear a "new" release with Izzy playing that way is maybe slightly eyebrow raising. Im not sure where I land on this question.

In my opinion, it's almost impossible to tell. Richard is a professional session guy, I'm sure he's able to copy Izzy's style (on existing material) to the point none of us would know it's him and not Izzy.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 5:12 AM, bojan said:

No. 

Yeah & there’s a good chance both 4tus & Frank would have tried their hardest to nail their parts in the studio compared to how they play it live. Even so I think there’s parts on SOYL that sound like both of them, especially if you listen to the LLAS or sound city version for comparison. Too bad there’s no HQ live version to compare it to besides Iceland.

Edited by The Matinator

On 7/30/2020 at 1:32 AM, t-p-d-a said:

So no new music because of COVID 19? What's the next excuse?

The band is a joke today

The "band" is a joke?

The majority of the members of this band practically live in the studio. Slash and Duff have each released albums separately since re-joining.

There is one man, and one man only, that is responsible for the fact that "the band" has not yet released an album. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 5:26 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Do we also suspect that other tracks on the AFD boxset have been redone, in some shape or form?

I believe just this one, it is the only one to have a new mix to it - the rest of the demos are the OG mixes from back in the day just with a new masteing