GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

Between this and the supposed UYI reissue next year, I have a feeling we won’t get a new album anytime soon.

The foolish kid in me wants to believe that both of the above are actually “warm ups” to drum up excitement for a new album, but deep down, I know I’m wrong.

10 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

You dont include LALD and KOHD as covers? Ok, nevermind...

While they are covers they are not in the same way as SFTD or anything off of TSI are.

KOHD and LALD are two of GNR's best known tracks and should be on any greatest hits of theirs. To a lot of people they are the defining version.

I know folk are disappointed there is no CD-era stuff but I suppose under the guise of the ‘classic logo’ and all the likely photos in the packaging being of the classic era....in that way it doesn’t really make sense.

A Best Of is a different matter - the supposed cancelled ‘GH2’ is far more likely the place for an ‘all encompassing’ list - that proposed release on vinyl would be absolutely tremendous.

That said - still miffed that Estranged isn’t on here and SFTD is - I know it falls into the realm of ‘what is classified as a hit’ but no GNR compilation should ever be without Estranged. And they could have fired on a new song seeing as Duff and Slash are back in....technically under the ‘classic logo’ etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

That said - still miffed that Estranged isn’t on here and SFTD is - I know it falls into the realm of ‘what is classified as a hit’ but no GNR compilation should ever be without Estranged. And they could have fired on a new song seeing as Duff and Slash are back in....technically under the ‘classic logo’ etc.

It's simply because this is not a new release, not even a reissue. It's a release of the same album from 2004 (+SOYL) in another format. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It makes me more angry than it should. People are paid to do this shit and can't even get the very basics right. 

No, you're the right amount of angry. There's so many GN'R apologists out there and it's ridiculous. 

There is zero reason for QC issues with something like this in the first place, let alone having a picture of a guitarist backwards. 

As I stated before, I think picture discs are the work of Satan himself, so it won't be a concern for me but it's the overall idea of something being so wrong that's bothersome. 

• Like 2

Interesting - I'll wait for reviews to see how the vinyl sounds.  Seems like they'll be using the remastered AFD songs from the recent reissue, and if the UYI songs are remastered, that's a good indication of how far along they are with respect to the UYI reissue.  Lastly, if the SI tracks are remastered, maybe that means they'll repress/reissue that album, as well.  I just picked up an original European press of SI and it sounds ridiculously good, so that album probably doesn't need a remastering treatment, actually.

• Like 1

Seems like we've sorted why SOYL was the song chosen for inclusion (length, "newness") but this is good in the hopes for a CD box set. Reworked Better, CD and HS by NITL lineup as singles! :headbang:

(Just let me have this dream for a minute! :lol:)

17 minutes ago, surforia said:

Interesting - I'll wait for reviews to see how the vinyl sounds.  Seems like they'll be using the remastered AFD songs from the recent reissue, and if the UYI songs are remastered, that's a good indication of how far along they are with respect to the UYI reissue.  Lastly, if the SI tracks are remastered, maybe that means they'll repress/reissue that album, as well.  I just picked up an original European press of SI and it sounds ridiculously good, so that album probably doesn't need a remastering treatment, actually.

Is it confirmed that these tracks are all remastered for this release?

Also, I imagine that TSI is gonna get folded into the UYI box, like how Lies got folded into the AFD box.

Slightly off topic, but I feel like there was at least room for Better on this reissue. Shame it’s not there. Oh well.

Edited by rocknroll41

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Is it confirmed that these tracks are all remastered for this release?

Also, I imagine that TSI is gonna get folded into the UYI box, like how Lies got folded into the AFD box.

Slightly off topic, but I feel like there was at least room for Better on this reissue. Shame it’s not there. Oh well.

No, I haven't seen any confirmation of remastering - just speculating.

51 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's simply because this is not a new release, not even a reissue. It's a release of the same album from 2004 (+SOYL) in another format. 

Oh I get that - my point really was Estranged should have been on it back in 2004!! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

While they are covers they are not in the same way as SFTD or anything off of TSI are.

KOHD and LALD are two of GNR's best known tracks and should be on any greatest hits of theirs. To a lot of people they are the defining version.

I never implied that they're not popular covers or well known. But they're 100% cover songs. Over 1/3 of the greatest hits are originally from other bands. I doubt that's what Axl wants GNR to be defined as. I could be wrong, I've never asked him ...

Neither here nor there, the Walmart version looks cool. Hope we continue to get releases from GNR.

54 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Over 1/3 of the greatest hits are originally from other bands. I doubt that's what Axl wants GNR to be defined as. I could be wrong, I've never asked him ...

True (or at the very least they're on this album) but I've never understood the aversion on here to covers.

Artists used to cover songs all the times for big releases. Elvis covered 'Hound Dog', the Rolling Stones started as a covers band.

I'd take a new covers album from GNR in a heart beat... anything new at all really.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Creed said:

A Bluray of Tokio 92

You might be right. If they dont release new music in 2021 its official that Axl is planning some 'After Death' albums. And its the only chance for us to get Izzy, Steven, Gilby and Matt involved. Since SOYL is re-recorded in drums/lead guitar than every other track can be re-recorded as well.

Yeah I’m staring to think that this might actually be the case.

i would also hope that eventually the descendants of TB would be willing to work with the descendants of Marc Canter to get all of his stuff out there too.

i imagine after a few generations the bad blood between those two camps will die off.

Edited by rocknroll41

22 minutes ago, Creed said:

Guys, don't buy this shit. The art work is really nice, but the cumpilation isnt worth the money. 

Ain't it fun, Yesterdays (at least in this version) and Shadow of your love are no greatest hits material. 

Estranged, Nightrain/Rocketqueen and one or two re-recorded CD songs / or completely new songs should have been on it instead.

Estranged absolutely should be seeing as they seem to only be looking at those released as singles.