GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

I never quite understood the appeal of Greatest Hits albums on vinyl to begin with, like to me the beauty of the format is being able to listen to a specific album in full, with the intended sequencing and cohesiveness that only can occur from a true album as opposed to a compilation

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Creed said:

A Bluray of Tokio 92

You might be right. If they dont release new music in 2021 its official that Axl is planning some 'After Death' albums. And its the only chance for us to get Izzy, Steven, Gilby and Matt involved. Since SOYL is re-recorded in drums/lead guitar than every other track can be re-recorded as well.

That would be not bad for me.... if they put the show complete in the right way (correct secuence) with no cuts and different takes, etc.

Or just the other 2 nights available.

What im talking about.... just wasting my time.

14 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I never quite understood the appeal of Greatest Hits albums on vinyl to begin with, like to me the beauty of the format is being able to listen to a specific album in full, with the intended sequencing and cohesiveness that only can occur from a true album as opposed to a compilation

That makes perfect sense, I see what you mean. And for me, who only owns Lies on vinyl, its just a chance to pick up a nice selection of tracks on a budget. Then there's the completists and all, too.

Certainly an underwhelming release, all things considered.

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

Also just realized that with the inclusion of SOYL and Frank all but confirming that he played on it, that means we now have a Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits album with Frank Ferrer on it.

Do you have something to back this up? I'd like to read this if you have it.

46 minutes ago, Creed said:

Guys, don't buy this shit. The art work is really nice, but the cumpilation isnt worth the money. 

Ain't it fun, Yesterdays (at least in this version) and Shadow of your love are no greatest hits material. 

Estranged, Nightrain/Rocketqueen and one or two re-recorded CD songs / or completely new songs should have been on it instead.

I hear ya, trust me. I'm the first guy to say "vote with your wallet" when it comes to GN'Rs bullshit. I also already own every song on this set on vinyl.

However.......I'm a total completionist. I just am. I'm not happy about it, but that's how I work lol. 

For example; I have all 15 Pink Floyd studio records on vinyl. Plus I have their live albums. I still bought several of their hits packages though, just to be complete. 

I totally realize that makes no sense, but it doesn't make sense to still be a fan of GN'R to begin with lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Creed said:

A Bluray of Tokio 92

Tokyo wouldn't benefit from a blu-ray release as far as video quality goes, since it was video taped and not filmed. 

The only benefit a blu-ray release *might* provide is uncompressed audio. Even then, you'd just have uncompressed audio of a so-so performance from the 92 tour. 

8 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Estranged is 10 min long. I'm sure the length would be the issue. SOYL is only 3 mins.

Yup - but I’d rather that than SFTD so happy for that to get chopped! I realise NR being on there takes up space but as I said elsewhere, no GNR compilation should ever be without Estranged.

Fuck this bullshit.  Nobody should buy anything that isn't new from this band.  This will be the first release I refuse to buy.  They're going on 5 years being back together and won't even release a single.  They don't deserve another dime until they give us something BRAND NEW.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Sometimes GH LPs get remastered for vinyl.  There is a Nirvana GH double LP that plays in 45rpm (instead of 33rpm) and it sounds awesome on an audiophile rig.  Blink 182 put out a GH package that remixed/remastered some of their old stuff (e.g. the song Damnit sounds 1,000 times better on the GH LP than it does on any pressing of the underlying album Dude Ranch).  The attractiveness of the GN'R release really hinges on the sound of the vinyl and whether any of the tracks are remastered.  For those that don't play or like vinyl, nothing to see here (although it is interesting that SOYL was added, but nothing from CD).

Just now, surforia said:

Sometimes GH LPs get remastered for vinyl.  There is a Nirvana GH double LP that plays in 45rpm (instead of 33rpm) and it sounds awesome on an audiophile rig.  Blink 182 put out a GH package that remixed/remastered some of their old stuff (e.g. the song Damnit sounds 1,000 times better on the GH LP than it does on any pressing of the underlying album Dude Ranch).  The attractiveness of the GN'R release really hinges on the sound of the vinyl and whether any of the tracks are remastered.  For those that don't play or like vinyl, nothing to see here (although it is interesting that SOYL was added, but nothing from CD).

What nirvana compilation is that you’re referring to? Is it the self-titled one from 2002?

50 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Tokyo wouldn't benefit from a blu-ray release as far as video quality goes, since it was video taped and not filmed. 

The only benefit a blu-ray release *might* provide is uncompressed audio. Even then, you'd just have uncompressed audio of a so-so performance from the 92 tour. 

Technically it could benefit on the visual side as well, by offering a much higher bitrate. Nothing night and day, but still. That's the while point of Eagle Rock's SD Blu Ray Line, video taped concerts "freed from compression".

The Tokyo DVDs are technically awful, very compressed audio, low bitrate and cropped video...oh and, of course, a very supbar concert :shrugs:

Edited by EvH

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

That show would require a complete remix of the audio, they have the soundboard of the show (with Live Era being evidence), so if we got a proper sounding release of the show, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It just wouldn't excite me that much, like 40 shows off the top of my head I'd rather see in good quality

The only possible thing that could excite me from this, is the possibility of the remastered UYI tracks. If they were smart, they would tease the remasters early. Otherwise it's probably just the standard vinyl versions of previously released tracks. Sad face. I'm so bored with this band.

Looking at the official blurb on the website, I think it’s badly worded in that it almost seems to disregard Chin Dem:-

IN 2004, GREATEST HITS REACHED NO. 3 ON THE BILLBOARD 200 AND IN 2007 HIT NO. 1 ON THE CATALOG ALBUMS CHART. FEATURING ALL EIGHT OF THE BAND’S TOP 40 BILLBOARD HOT 100 TRACKS (SIX OF THEM RIAA-CERTIFIED “GOLD,” I.E., SALES OF MORE THAN 500,000 UNITS), GREATEST HITS SPANS THE GROUP’S FIVE ALBUM RELEASES, INCLUDING THEIR COVER OF THE ROLLING STONES’ “SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL” FOR THE 1995 FILM INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE.

I know it probably means the 5 albums released at that time (2004) but it stands out to me that folk might look at that and go WTF (regardless of it mainly being a reissue of the original GH)!!

Edited by DTJ80

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

I agree. I feel like if they were going to update it slightly they should have just added in CD too (if not Better as well) just for completeness sake.

They could've rerecorded CD and Better, I would've been down with that.

6 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Good point. Wouldn’t it have made sense though to wait until after the UYI reissue so that they could also squeeze Ain’t Goin Down on there? Pretty sure that song is also relatively short.

Then again, if they wanted to tour in 2020 then I guess they needed to get something out now.

That would've been a good one to add also.

Just looked at the twitter thread for the announcement.....folks getting fired into the band/management BIGTIME. Asking where the new material is, NITL cd/br, selects etc and going mental about this ‘cash grab’!!

TBH - I fully understand folk going crazy at lack of ‘new material’ (of course) but don’t see the hate for this. If you don’t want it fine - but for those of us that do, then happy days!

3 hours ago, Kelmi said:

What a cash crab.. lol. Well if some of you guys are excited to buy this im happy. For me this seems pathetic.

I agree, I'm not buying it.

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I’m staring to think that this might actually be the case.

i would also hope that eventually the descendants of TB would be willing to work with the descendants of Marc Canter to get all of his stuff out there too.

i imagine after a few generations the bad blood between those two camps will die off.

We'll all be dead by then, we won't be around to enjoy it.