CAFC Nick

GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

2 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Hold on. They're going to release a vinyl for a record they tried to block legally 16 years ago? And to add insult to injury they're going to include a 35 year old song as some sort of enhancement? As if passing SOYL as somewhat of a "new track" on this tour wasn't ridiculous enough?

Is Slash agreeing to put Sympathy For the Devil on a Guns N' Roses greatest hits? 

How the mighty have fallen.

Easily the biggest joke of a band on the planet.

What did Slash have against SFTD ? I haven’t actually heard that one?

1 hour ago, jackparker123 said:

They're definitely really missing a trick by not putting a brand new song on there. 

This is what really confuses me. I think almost all hardocre fans would by the greatest hits if it had a new song on it, in addition to the decent numbers I'm sure it'll do regardless.

10 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Just looked at the twitter thread for the announcement.....folks getting fired into the band/management BIGTIME. Asking where the new material is, NITL cd/br, selects etc and going mental about this ‘cash grab’!!

TBH - I fully understand folk going crazy at lack of ‘new material’ (of course) but don’t see the hate for this. If you don’t want it fine - but for those of us that do, then happy days!

I did notice there was an uptick in 'new music' sentiment in the comments. I doubt UMG really care, 'Greatest Hits' is infinitely more profitable than a new album would be (sadly).

Tbh the same is under every album repackaging. Even under the Stones new 'Goat Head Soup' re-release there were people moaning about 'milking it'. And that had NEW SONGS!!

I just think it's just a bad look to put this out when the EU tickets have not been sorted yet.

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Bit of a myth about how much vinyl sells. CDs still massively outsell vinyl. 

Here's a sobering figure- the second best selling vinyl in the UK this year so far is a re-print of a Manic Street Preachers album.

It sold just 2,300 copies to get that postion. They really don't sell well at all. But much attention is placed on them because their sales rose (slightly) in recent yeara, bucking the general downward trend of physical media sales. 

There's a really interesting article on the misconception that vinyl sells, backed up with all the facts and figures (an out of fashion thing these days I know, in an era where people don't need facts!) If you're interested in the whole thing. It's a very weird false narrative that has taken hold, seemingly fuelled by media drive to make articles. 

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-18-january-2020/

Very true, most analysts seem to look at the 'growth' in sales as opposed to the actual volume shifted. Same with Cassettes. And most music stores have sidelined CD's to make more floor space for vinyl. I guess the profit per unit is better for them?

Vinyl is still a serious market, and the increased cost of the records means the sector can punch above its weight in terms of attention. Last year the highest selling vinyl in thhe UK sold 30,000 units. Which at about 20 a pop isn't too bad.

And you'll be hard pushed to find a major new release that doesn't release on Cassette and Vinyl.

It's interesting as many, many, many people collect the vinyl but will only listen to the music online. Personally I like CD's, gives you a physical media and allows you more freedom. They'll probably come back in fashion when they are looked back upon as relics.

It's not a thing to get mad at. The lable is releasing something for a small select group of fans. If you like it then buy it, if not then don't. Cant imagine this would get in the way of another release (lol).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Between this and the supposed UYI reissue next year, I have a feeling we won’t get a new album anytime soon.

The foolish kid in me wants to believe that both of the above are actually “warm ups” to drum up excitement for a new album, but deep down, I know I’m wrong.

Queen productions used to go on about not flooding the market with product. I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing, so long as a new album isn’t released alongside something else at the same time.

With the Greatest Hits being released in September, the hope would be for another years delay on a potential UYI box set like Appetite had and get a new album out to coincide with the tour dates next year. The thought of having nothing for another year + is quite disappointing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Russ, I totally get where you are coming from and agree with nearly everything you said on this forum 😄 But please don’t let me down and don’t buy this shit. 😉😄

As you do I got thousands of records and in the past I considered my self as a „completionist“ when it comes to a lot of bands in the past. But when I got older I came to a point where I asked myself more often do I really need this?! I know, sometimes its hard to not pull the trigger. For me it’s even harder when it comes to GNR, my „first real love“ which kinda still lasts after 30 years like an old marriage 😄 See, I was one of the idiots who bought the L&L box on its release day and guess what: I hardly opened the box three times since then 😄 

After this whole L&L shit I promised myself I will never ever spent a cent on GNR product unless its a quality realease and its reasonably priced. And this Greatest Hits LP isn’t .

Instead of spending 40€ on this crap I will support young bands and buy three cool albums with fresh and new music by them, maybe even nice DIY releases. 

By the way: Do you really own all GNR releases? All original EPs, all 12“ and all 7“? I do not. I still do miss some and will e.g. rather spent 20€ on a mint 1991 YCBM 12“ than 40€ on a shitty 2020 Greatest hits album. 

Please dont get this post as an offend. I highly expect you to know how it’s meant. 😃

To be clear, I didn't mean to say that I have everything by then on vinyl. I meant to say that I have every song they've officially released on vinyl. 

• Like 1

This band is a joke.

Wish my favorite band released new material.

With that being said, I’m thankful for the Village leaks. That was basically an EP with many, many extras.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

What did Slash have against SFTD ? I haven’t actually heard that one?

From my recollection.... He hated the movie it was made for with passion. He also wanted to put his own spin on it but Axl wanted the song to sound more like the original which is silly. Why not use The Stones version then? And then there's Paul Tobias' overdubs. Slash hated that too. He didn't want to do the cover and he didn't like the final product. "That's the sound of the band breaking up," he said in VH1 Behind The Music in 2004. 

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

I may be in the minority but I think it's one of their best covers. Took major fortitude to cover a song like that as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

This band is a joke.

Wish my favorite band released new material.

With that being said, I’m thankful for the Village leaks. That was basically an EP with many, many extras.

I feel the same way.  To me it's our CD box set.  And sadly it's probably the last new material we may ever hear.  Thanks Rick!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

I may be in the minority but I think it's one of their best covers. Took major fortitude to cover a song like that as well.

I think it's fine too really. I have no problems with it, but like a lot of things GNR do, the context in which it happens alters views and perceptions on it. 

Same with this greatest hits vinyl reissue really. If most bands do it it would be shrugged off as a minor incident with an 'ah well, if you want it, buy it' attitude. Because it's GNR we all see it differently- as part of the wider concept of their general behaviour, coloured by so many other things both past and present,  it sits with people in a different way. 

• Like 1

One of my many unpopular opinions is the GN'R cover of Sympathy for the Devil is better than the the Rolling Stones version.

With that being said, I was never a big stones fan. Too light and playful for my taste. I like it harder.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

One of my many unpopular opinions is the GN'R cover of Sympathy for the Devil is better than the the Rolling Stones version.

With that being said, I was never a big stones fan. Too light and playful for my taste. I like it harder.

With you on that. Axl sounds unreal on it.

• Like 1

As much as I understand why Slash had many problems with it, I think it's a great cover.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I agree and I get yelled at by friends about it a lot lol 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Me too in a way. I love The Rolling Stones a lot but anything with Axl's vocals is just pure awesomeness. I generally prefer all the Guns N' Roses covers to the originals due to Axl's delivery. The band helps too, of course.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 2

I love GNRs cover, tasty guitar licks, great drumming by Matt but Axl oversings it quite a bit. 

The sound is vastly streamlined as well. The voodoo atmosphere of the original is completely lost, in favor of a fairly by-the-numbers hard rock sound. 

25 minutes ago, EvH said:

I love GNRs cover, tasty guitar licks, great drumming by Matt but Axl oversings it quite a bit. 

The sound is vastly streamlined as well. The voodoo atmosphere of the original is completely lost, in favor of a fairly by-the-numbers hard rock sound. 

Nicely put.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coma16 said:

It's not a thing to get mad at. The lable is releasing something for a small select group of fans. If you like it then buy it, if not then don't. Cant imagine this would get in the way of another release (lol).

Bingo - it’s not a bad thing at all. I don’t actually own the CD version and have always looked out for it in vinyl. So this arriving on gold splatter vinyl is just awesome.

Although I did wonder how many other examples there were of something like this getting pushed out at the same time (or near) as any prospective new material and couldn’t think of any....but as this is a vinyl only release, it’s tiny volumes in the grand scheme of things so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Arguably a new release would also see a boost in GH so the more mediums that is available on the better.

Posted (edited)

Lol, they didn't perform Shadow of your love for more than 30 years and now they released it, is part of the "Greatest Hits".

Edited by Rodri99
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rodri99 said:

Lol, they didn't play Shadow of your love for more than 30 years and now they released it is part of the "Greatest Hits".

To be fair, it was a bigger hit than Ain't It Fun, Since I Don't Have You and Sympathy For The Devil.

I really don't get the appeal of this re-release though... it's an overpriced record full of songs you can already get on vinyl, that the band initially tried to block from release because it's a poor 'Greatest Hits' collection. There's not even anything interesting included like a live track or demo or (lol) new song. It's a completely useless release. :shrugs:

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 9:04 AM, DTV88 said:

The Silver colored vinyl is a Walmart exclusive for anyone looking for that one.

Really? I hope it's not censored. Sometimes Walmart does that with music.

I know amazon.com didn't have it.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

To be fair, it was a bigger hit than Ain't It Fun, Since I Don't Have You and Sympathy For The Devil.

I really don't get the appeal of this re-release though... it's an overpriced record full of songs you can already get on vinyl, that the band initially tried to block from release because it's a poor 'Greatest Hits' collection. There's not even anything interesting included like a live track or demo or (lol) new song. It's a completely useless release. :shrugs:

I suppose it’s purely about putting something out which they can probably do in relatively small volumes, get good markups and collectors etc will buy?

Plus - TSI and SFTD ain’t so easy to get on vinyl!!

Edited by DTJ80