GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

To be fair, it was a bigger hit than Ain't It Fun, Since I Don't Have You and Sympathy For The Devil.

I really don't get the appeal of this re-release though... it's an overpriced record full of songs you can already get on vinyl, that the band initially tried to block from release because it's a poor 'Greatest Hits' collection. There's not even anything interesting included like a live track or demo or (lol) new song. It's a completely useless release. :shrugs:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I suppose it’s purely about putting something out which they can probably do in relatively small volumes, get good markups and collectors etc will buy?

Plus - TSI and SFTD ain’t so easy to get on vinyl!!

I'd imagine it's entirely about wringing a bit more money out of past glories. Fine in a lot of bands cases.....but when it's all you've got, then there's a problem. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coma16 said:

It's not a thing to get mad at. The lable is releasing something for a small select group of fans. If you like it then buy it, if not then don't. Cant imagine this would get in the way of another release (lol).

This. Its there if you want it. And personally, I want it.

As far as a new album. Well, they said they needed to figure out how. Theres the slightest chance that this is them exploring release options - 'will vinyl sell though?' They could be experimenting? They could even just be monitoring conversation to discover what percentage of the fanbase owns a record player? I dunno, just spit balling.

I don't think the band is going to make any serious money off this, given that it's for a limited market. And, since there's talk about the number of covers, the more covers there are the less money a band makes, as the mechanical royalties go to the songwriters - unless the covers are the biggest hits, so they carry the album, which is not the case with GnR.

I also doubt Fernando is the mastermind (lol) behind this. He probably didn't even lift a finger. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I just checked, and had no idea the price for TSI on vinyl had skyrocketed so high. Crazy.

SFTD is easy to find for $10-15 though.

I got lucky and got TSI about 12 months ago for about £50 (normal black vinyl). It’s normally 3x that.....mental.

Its utterly ridiculous that GNR has stuff out of print when they have such a small discography.

Just now, DTJ80 said:

I got lucky and got TSI about 12 months ago for about £50 (normal black vinyl). It’s normally 3x that.....mental.

Its utterly ridiculous that GNR has stuff out of print when they have such a small discography.

I think I paid about $15 for a sealed copy back in the mid-2000s... :lol:

I'm pretty sure they'll re-press TSI for the UYI box anyway... I just hope they don't remaster it, since it's already their best sounding album.

31 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think I paid about $15 for a sealed copy back in the mid-2000s... :lol:

I'm pretty sure they'll re-press TSI for the UYI box anyway... I just hope they don't remaster it, since it's already their best sounding album.

That’s a bargain!

Yeah, agreed it will likely form part of the UYI like Lies was. 👍

9 hours ago, Swampfox said:

I feel the same way.  To me it's our CD box set.  And sadly it's probably the last new material we may ever hear.  Thanks Rick!

Agree, wouldn’t even be browsing here if it weren’t for that dude, thanks again sir, we have to fight to be fans of a band that makes their fans feel like assholes for even thinking about new music 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Not interested whatsoever lol. Part of me wishes you'd all boycott this kind of shit to force them to do new stuff but realistically that probably wouldn't work.

Same, and I agree about boycotting it.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think the band is going to make any serious money off this, given that it's for a limited market. And, since there's talk about the number of covers, the more covers there are the less money a band makes, as the mechanical royalties go to the songwriters - unless the covers are the biggest hits, so they carry the album, which is not the case with GnR.

I also doubt Fernando is the mastermind (lol) behind this. He probably didn't even lift a finger. 

Yeah it's probably all UMG.

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

To be fair, it was a bigger hit than Ain't It Fun, Since I Don't Have You and Sympathy For The Devil.

I really don't get the appeal of this re-release though... it's an overpriced record full of songs you can already get on vinyl, that the band initially tried to block from release because it's a poor 'Greatest Hits' collection. There's not even anything interesting included like a live track or demo or (lol) new song. It's a completely useless release. :shrugs:

I think Since I don't have you was a bigger hit than SOYL, has over 70M on youtube and is played in radios all around the world. But yeah Ain't it fun and Sympathy for the devil never were close to be classified as "hits". Nightrain, Mr brownstone, Dead horse.. there are a lot of songs they could really call "hits" instead of this ones...

8 minutes ago, Rodri99 said:

I think Since I don't have you was a bigger hit than SOYL, has over 70M on youtube and is played in radios all around the world.

I was going by the chart positions on wikipedia, SOYL charted higher in the US & Canada than SIDHY and the other covers.

I've heard Mr Brownstone and Nightrain played on the radio way more times than anything from TSI...

Edited by Gordon Comstock

11 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I found the orange vinyl TSI in a local record store in Amsterdam last year, paid €50. Quite lucky...

Edited by JY2016

19 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

From my recollection.... He hated the movie it was made for with passion. He also wanted to put his own spin on it but Axl wanted the song to sound more like the original which is silly. Why not use The Stones version then? And then there's Paul Tobias' overdubs. Slash hated that too. He didn't want to do the cover and he didn't like the final product. "That's the sound of the band breaking up," he said in VH1 Behind The Music in 2004. 

Oh thanks mate! I forgot all that stuff. I actually like their version, that’s not to say Slash’s vision for how the song could have been might have turned out better. 

On 8/1/2020 at 6:51 AM, allwaystired said:

Bit of a myth about how much vinyl sells. CDs still massively outsell vinyl. 

Here's a sobering figure- the second best selling vinyl in the UK this year so far is a re-print of a Manic Street Preachers album.

It sold just 2,300 copies to get that postion. They really don't sell well at all. But much attention is placed on them because their sales rose (slightly) in recent yeara, bucking the general downward trend of physical media sales. 

There's a really interesting article on the misconception that vinyl sells, backed up with all the facts and figures (an out of fashion thing these days I know, in an era where people don't need facts!) If you're interested in the whole thing. It's a very weird false narrative that has taken hold, seemingly fuelled by media drive to make articles. 

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-18-january-2020/

I read that article before actually, and I should have worded my post better. 

But I think the point still stands that there are over 11 million copies of the GnR greatest hits sold and at this point the record label will most likely make more profit off of a vinyl release than keeping it tied to CD.