Axl Rose has trademarked his own name

(Copy-paste of my post in the other thread)

That's a bit unusual, I think, for someone to trademark their own name for their music (it makes more sense for other products). Who knows what it means, if anything. Maybe he intends to start his own record company?

Word Mark AXL ROSE
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Audio and video recordings featuring music and musical performances; downloadable audio and visual recordings featuring and promoting music and entertainment; downloadable image files in the fields of music and entertainment; downloadable mobile applications featuring information and content relating to music and entertainment; downloadable musical sound recordings; downloadable musical video recordings; downloadable photographs; downloadable ring tones and graphics for mobile phones and computers
Standard Characters Claimed  
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 90086827
Filing Date July 31, 2020
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Rose, W. Axl INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 5950 Canoga Avenue, Suite 510 Woodland Hills CALIFORNIA 91367
Attorney of Record Jill M. Pietrini
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Word Mark AXL ROSE
Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, bandanas, jackets, jeans, jerseys, loungewear, neckwear, overalls, pants, ponchos, shirts, shorts, sleepwear, socks, sweat bands, sweatpants, sweatshirts, tank tops, t-shirts, undergarments, and vests; and headwear
Serial Number 90086834
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Rose, W. Axl INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 5950 Canoga Avenue, Suite 510 Woodland Hills CALIFORNIA 91367
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Word Mark AXL ROSE
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Blogs in the fields of music, musicians, films, television programs, and entertainment events; entertainment information; entertainment services in the nature of live musical performances; entertainment services in the nature of providing entertainment information regarding musicians, musical sound recordings, music videos, music and licensed merchandise via a website; entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring non-downloadable audio and video recordings of performances from music and film festivals; entertainment services, namely, providing non-downloadable music and music videos via the internet; music composition services for others; music publishing services; non-downloadable musical sound recordings; production and distribution of musical audio and video recordings; recording studio services; record production services; song writing services
Serial Number 90086840
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

• Thanks 1

Also from the other thread:

42 minutes ago, Blackstar said:
53 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

Yeah, I came across the trademarks this morning. These three different "classes" (descriptions) that @Blackstar posted are assigned to both "Axl" and "Axl Rose" (so, I guess 6 separate trademarks in total)? I know the value of trademarks and why companies do them, but I'm not sure why Axl himself would. Guns N' Roses, as its own band/brand makes sense obviously, but I don't really understand why an individual within the band would do it for themselves. 

I love Axl, but the idea of Axl Rose branded clothing is really weird to me, lol. 

Other people use their name as a brand for clothing etc., Slash for example, without trademarking it - let alone for the music they release. It's weird that Axl trademarked his own name.

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:
27 minutes ago, soon said:

To the best of my knowledge posthumous branded clothing, say Jimi Hendrix, is trademarked? Axl could be just be in the process of updating his will to include where his name will go to? Things like that often get messy, so it would be one way to try and keep everything tidy. I dunno.

Yes, this makes sense. I hadn't thought about it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

I'd happily take the Chinese Leftovers as an 'Axl & Guests' solo album

Same, tbh. Though wouldn’t he have to buy back the masters of all those songs from UMG? Could be an expensive undertaking, if he wanted to “rebrand” those songs like that.

If that was the plan tho, I’d be totally fine with that, as long as Axl/Slash/Duff still intend to write, record, and release a new album under the GnR name still as well.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I am 1000% sure the trademarks will be used for everything EXCEPT new music. Probably more cheap merch or some sort of high end fashion line like the BS they had during the launch of NITL. 

I hope you’re wrong... But I think you’re right... :/

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

14 minutes ago, EricA said:

i don't like @soons idea, because we all can guess which family is considered in his will, but over all that makes so much more sense than everything else mentioned.

Gaze into the future when the sun has set on our favorite rockers and the posthumous Fernando era begins. 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Imagine Axl starting a label to release other people's music but not his own :lol:

Wouldn’t even surprise me, at this point.

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

Gaze into the future when the sun has set on our favorite rockers and the posthumous Fernando era begins. 

Yeah once Axl is sadly no longer with us, Fernando will go full Janie Hendrix and milk the vault to every last drop, if I had to guess.

38 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

I'd happily take the Chinese Leftovers as an 'Axl & Guests' solo album

Absolutely think this is what’s on the cards. Guns are never gonna release a new album and Axl knows we’re never gonna stop ragging him until we hear The General 😂

Surely if you trademark a name or an entity it means said individual or entity has plans to release something, hence the need for copyright protection? 

I would also comment that I personally would be more than happy for Axl to release all the other Chinese era material under his own name. Damn it could be argued he should have done this with Chinese 

Edited by gavgnr

2 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Surely if you trademark a name or an entity it means said individual or entity has plans to release something, hence the need for copyright protection? 

I would also comment that I personally would be more than happy for Axl to release all the other Chinese era material under his own name. Damn it could be argued he should have done this with Chinese 

Axl trademarked WAR Tequila and Stay Of Execution in the past but ended up not doing anything with either of those and let the trademarks expire. So there’s no given that anything will actually come from this just yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Didn't GN'R leave off Chinese Democracy from a timeline of their other albums in a recent social media post?

A 2-3 CD re-issue under Axl's name, would be incredibly awesome.

Though it would put the 2008 album in a weird spot, would give ammo to those "It's not a GN'R record!" people. Haha

This would pave the way for the current lineup to actually make their own, actual new album though.

• Like 1

Just now, Sweersa said:

Didn't GN'R leave off Chinese Democracy from a timeline of their other albums in a recent social media post?

A 2-3 CD re-issue under Axl's name, would be incredibly awesome.

Though it would put the 2008 album in a weird spot, would give ammo to those "It's not a GN'R record!" people. Haha

This would pave the way for the current lineup to actually make their own, actual new album though.

If an Axl solo record of some kind does happen, and it includes the unreleased ChiDem recordings, I seriously doubt any songs from the 2008 album would be included in any form whatsoever. This would be treated as more of its own thing. Maybe labeled as like “Axl & Friends” or some shit.

Again, this is all just speculation anyways. The trademarks could mean fuck all.

itd be nice tho cause, like you said, it would allow the NITL band to make a REAL new album.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

If an Axl solo record of some kind does happen, and it includes the unreleased ChiDem recordings, I seriously doubt any songs from the 2008 album would be included in any form whatsoever. This would be treated as more of its own thing. Maybe labeled as like “Axl & Friends” or some shit.

Again, this is all just speculation anyways. The trademarks could mean fuck all.

itd be nice tho cause, like you said, it would allow the NITL band to make a REAL new album.

If he really it's doing this, that's a little late HAHAHHA

But would be awesome anyways