Gilby Clarke - a belated appreciation.

1 minute ago, soon said:

The best I can think of is that Gilby was the guest on an episode of Rikki Rachtmans Cathouse Hollywood Podcast. Some good stories. I enjoyed Gilbys recent single too, Rock N Roll Is Getting Louder! :headbang:

Sorry for you loss. 

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I’ll google that 😎 defo check out his new material. Had Pawn Shop Guitars on earlier! 

Thanks man. It’s been heavy and a bit surreal. 

• Like 1

He was (and still seems) like a genuinely cool dude, and saved the band's ass on a moment's notice after Izzy left the band. In all honesty, I suppose it's entirely possible more people saw the band with Gilby than Izzy.

It would have been interesting to see how the guitar chemistry would have evolved had he stayed in the band. Gilby is a much "tighter" guitar player than Izzy when it comes to rhythm and close to Slash's level when it comes to lead (maybe even as good on a technical level. Slash just has such an immediately recognizable tone). Izzy's biggest contribution to the band was songwriting, but also brought a very loose and sleazy style rhythm guitar. Matt was spot on in his book when he said the "classic" Guns N' Rose sound came from Izzy's songs and looseness on guitar combined with Slash and Duff's more bombastic playing. I wonder if Gilby would have tried to continue that vibe, or if it would have become a situation like Slash and Richard where both got their big moments in songs and in concert. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

He was (and still seems) like a genuinely cool dude, and saved the band's ass on a moment's notice after Izzy left the band. In all honesty, I suppose it's entirely possible more people saw the band with Gilby than Izzy.

It would have been interesting to see how the guitar chemistry would have evolved had he stayed in the band. Gilby is a much "tighter" guitar player than Izzy when it comes to rhythm and close to Slash's level when it comes to lead (maybe even as good on a technical level. Slash just has such an immediately recognizable tone). Izzy's biggest contribution to the band was songwriting, but also brought a very loose and sleazy style rhythm guitar. Matt was spot on in his book when he said the "classic" Guns N' Rose sound came from Izzy's songs and looseness on guitar combined with Slash and Duff's more bombastic playing. I wonder if Gilby would have tried to continue that vibe, or if it would have become a situation like Slash and Richard where both got their big moments in songs and in concert. 

Agreed. Never saw GNR with Izzy until the online boom. The first gig I saw proper (on satellite) was Paris 92. 

Seeing GNR in the 80s gigs online seem so much more exciting in my opinion and is probably down to the loose, sleazy drunken vibe. 

Having said that I love the illusion tour vids  that too is exciting to me.  Did Gilby play on Spaghetti? I only ask as recently read that Izzy may have been on it?

Gilbys a dude, took me all this time but hey, life gets in the way sometimes  

thanks for your reply 👍

8 minutes ago, downzy said:

He got GNR to cover Dead Flowers, so he's aces in my book! 

;)

Awesome tune! Enjoyed the stones version too! 

4 minutes ago, Snooze said:

Did Gilby play on Spaghetti? I only ask as recently read that Izzy may have been on it?

Yes, he did. Izzy was on some of the songs that were recorded during the UYI sessions, but Gilby replaced his parts (with the exception of Ain't It Fun where neither Izzy nor Gilby played). 

Gilby talked about it recently:

See also here :)

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4995-13-july-november-1991-use-your-illusions-are-out-so-is-izzy#19567

This year is probably the most exciting for Gilby fans and followers like myself:

1. The Gospel Truth, new album will be released after 18 years! His last studio album was SWAG which was released in 2002.

2. During pandemic there was a Gilby Clarke super cool full length proshot live as part of MORC streams which I can't find online but I have it downloaded.

3. As for documentary, he appears in the following:

watch-born-feee-movie__06253.1494132551.

Edited by ©GnrPersia

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, he did. Izzy was on some of the songs that were recorded during the UYI sessions, but Gilby replaced his parts (with the exception of Ain't It Fun where neither Izzy nor Gilby played). 

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4995-13-july-november-1991-use-your-illusions-are-out-so-is-izzy#19567

Aw brilliant, thanks for the link and info!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

This year is probably the most exciting for Gilby fans and followers like myself:

1. The Gospel Truth, new album will be released after 18 years! His last studio album was SWAG which was released in 2002.

2. During pandemic there was a Gilby Clarke super cool full length proshot live as part of MORC streams which I can't find online but I have it downloaded.

Nice one, thanks for this info. Will check out the documentary as well! Ah if I seem to remember he does a cool cover of Diamond Dogs on SWAG! Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I never knew neither Izzy or Gilby were on Ain’t It Fun?!

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I never knew neither Izzy or Gilby were on Ain’t It Fun?!

Yes, Slash played both lead and rhythm guitar. There is also additional guitar by Mike Staggs, who was Axl's friend from Indiana and played in the band "AXL" they had there. 

• Thanks 1

@Snoozesorry to hear of your loss. I love Gilby; I've seen him perform 4 times at NAMM. Always lots of fun.

4 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

I never saw the MORC show; any chance you could send that to me?

Never listened to nothing he ever did.  Never listened to much GnR off shoot stuff actually.  Duffs album 'Believe in Me', weren't all that.  The first Snakepit album, great guitar work, weren't too keen on the singer, I think I might've listened to Ain't Life Grand if thats what its called which I'm not sure and can't remember.  Then that one album that Slash did with Cypress Hill on it, that was pretty pants as well.  Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds first album, I liked that one.  And then of course Chi Dem, which we all know about.  Contraband was kinda naff, a bit by the numbers.  I liked Libertad, though I think I might be the only one in that regard.  The only shit out of it that I would go back to is Izzys one, Libertad and Chi Dem, though I've not heard either of the last two for many many years.

Gilby was awesome.. Slash's has d natural chemistry with him as heard on Pawnshop Guitars, the first Snakepit album and obviously all those live Illusions shows.. Listen to those Acoustic performances of KOHD and Patience from Argentina 93 and compare them to the flat ass versions of the last few years. Gilby's background vocals are also greatly under appreciated and were a huge part of what made those Skin N' Bones acoustic sets work so well. 

A couple notes..

My first Guns show was also Gilby's first with the band.. I also remember exactly where I was when I heard he was fired. I was stationed out in CA at the time. I was waiting for a BART (Subway train basically) and they had a little TV monitor up on the wall that had little text news snippets or what not.. One popped up saying that Gilby Clarke was fired from Guns N' Roses...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I didn't know that neither one played on ain't it fun. To be honest i just assumed it was one or the other.