pentatonic scales

hi everyone....ive been playin guitar for a coupel years now adn im just starting to be able to rip it up.....

my question is.....when im in a minor pentatonic scale anywhere and i slide it down so tehn i switch into the major scale..do i have to switch it into the major or can i stay in minor when you slide down....???

it gets kinda confusin so id thoguh id ask you guys bc alot fo you seem very good at thoery

thanks

take everything you've ever learnt about about theory and burn it.

do what you like and let sound be your teacher.

hanging up on what others say will only stifle you creatively.

Completely untrue. Saying that theory will stifle your creativity is like saying that learning english will somehow stop you from properly expressing yourself.

Theory (provided you actually take the time to learn it) will help enable you to better express yourself through your guitar. Theory does not dictate how you play, it is just a set of principles that help you understand why certain notes sound better when played together. It is completely up to you to how you apply the theory (or whether you apply it at all).

In answer to the first question - you can generally get away with just sticking to the minor. But like I said, it's completely up to you how you apply theory. If it sounds good then do it.

take everything you've ever learnt about about theory and burn it.

do what you like and let sound be your teacher.

hanging up on what others say will only stifle you creatively.

Completely untrue. Saying that theory will stifle your creativity is like saying that learning english will somehow stop you from properly expressing yourself.

Theory (provided you actually take the time to learn it) will help enable you to better express yourself through your guitar. Theory does not dictate how you play, it is just a set of principles that help you understand why certain notes sound better when played together. It is completely up to you to how you apply the theory (or whether you apply it at all).

In answer to the first question - you can generally get away with just sticking to the minor. But like I said, it's completely up to you how you apply theory. If it sounds good then do it.

thats exactly what your teacher taught you to believe.

Edited by This_Guy

Theory sucks ass. And my teacher told me that, who as a matter of fact was jimi hendrix =P

Its alright ot know theory nothing wrong with it :P I mean hendrix used scales :P And he is a god...

just like he said scales are more of a guidline, there not rules... Theres nothing wrong with chucking a not that in a solo thats not in scale...

in respone to ur question i have no idea wat ur trying to say. Are you tring to mix scales together , major / minor ?

Edited by slashs_servant

Theory sucks ass. And my teacher told me that, who  as a matter of fact was jimi hendrix =P 

Its alright ot know theory nothing wrong with it :P  I mean hendrix used scales :P And he is a god...

just like he said scales are more of a guidline, there not rules... Theres nothing wrong with chucking a not that in a solo thats not in scale...

in respone to ur question i have no idea wat ur trying to say. Are you tring to mix scales together , major / minor ?

Here's the thing...No matter what notes you play, there's some sort of scale in it. I mean, yeah everyone knows

Blues

Harmonic Minor

Major/ Minor Pentatonic

Major/ Minor

Phrygian Dominant

But do u know:

Mixolydian

Hungarian Gypsy

Whole - Half

Half - Whole etc etc etc.

I only know them because of my guitarist, and he only knows them because of his guitar teacher.

The thing is, no matter what you think you're playing, it's some sort of scale