How often do you snap strigns while tuning ?

Is it just me or does anyone else always snap there strings while trying to tune (mainly your High e string.)

I have a eletronic digital tuner, but it's crap it keeps saying (high e) to low, so I tune up more then *whip* my string snaps.

When I go to buy replacements I buy them in packs of 5's because I know i'll do it again.

Does this often happen to anyone ?

Yep, it happens a lot with me when im soloing. I can usually control it when i play rhythm, but when i put a hard vibrato on a 1.5 or 2 step bend, that string is toast like 10% of the time. It's all good tho, doesnt take that long to reload.

haha, i totally skimmed your post the first time i read it BrownRock, and totally got your point wrong.

Actually when you're tuning it up and its consistently breaking then there is a problem. Not really sure what the problem is, but the first thing you should probably look at is the action, or if you are using a guitar with a whammy bar, loosen the springs underneath the back plate. Make sure you know how to set your guitar up if you're going to do this though. That's probably what your problem is, it just needs to be professionally set up.

Whatever the cause is, im pretty sure the problem is that you have too much tension on the string when you're trying to reach the e pitch. This usually means you should get your guitar set up properly.

Oh, and Big Boy Sixx, i totally hear you on that floyd rose thing. I used to have a couple Ibanez JEMs that had a floyd. Such a bitch that thing was. The guitar sounded great when it worked, but changing strings was way to much of a hassle.

Yep, it happens a lot with me when im soloing. I can usually control it when i play rhythm, but when i put a hard vibrato on a 1.5 or 2 step bend, that string is toast like 10% of the time. It's all good tho, doesnt take that long to reload.

Have you tried tuning down half a step (just like Slash does), of you tune to Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb and Eb then it makes the strings far far looser so you can bend further before there's enough strain on the string to snap it. Either that or try getting lighter strings or a lighter top 3 string - Ernie Ball make them and call them Hybrid Slinkies.

Have you tried tuning down half a step (just like Slash does), of you tune to Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb and Eb then it makes the strings far far looser so you can bend further before there's enough strain on the string to snap it. Either that or try getting lighter strings or a lighter top 3 string - Ernie Ball make them and call them Hybrid Slinkies.

I tune down a lot when i use my Tokai LP copy because it has a stop-tail bridge, and that makes it a bit better. I've got my G&L legacy (like a strat) set up great now with the strings loose enough that it is alright most of the time. I used to play 9-42's but have recently changed (and this was a big change because i've been playing 9's for 12 years) to 10-52's. Not quite sure what i prefer, i really only changed because the resistance from the heavier strings gives me a bit of an extra edge when i control my bends or vibrato.

I know that my problem is more with my right hand tho, I am a bit to aggressive when i solo, most noticably with sweeps and rakes where it is absolutely necessary to play lighter.