I just need to know one thing...

Ant

The defining characteristic of my favorite frontman of all time: Rasp!

It dissapeared at the turn of the century, without a note or a message to tell us where it went; what its plans were. The result was the voice of the '02 tour, dubbed "mickey mouse." I don't have to tell you how sad I was to hear Nightrain with this newly neutered abomination of a singing voice.

All I need to know is, has my best friend little old raspy returned to his former master?

From the crappy boots weve got...I can hear the rasp....

wait til' we get quality stuff...

J.Walker

I can't actually hear the rasp in any of the pathetic quality bootlegs but since every single person who whas there says the rasp is back I believe it rock3

oh and to storm: Rocket Queen, One in a Million (at some points), and probably some more

but the rasp is especially noticable on a lot of the live era songs, even in ballads like estranged

Edited by W. AXL ROSE

I'm curious, when you guys say "rasp" - what song from any of the studio albums is a good example of it? I'm guessing the way Axl sings November Rain?

-Jordan

i will say the MTV music awards 88' Welcome to the jungle is a good "rasp" ecsample(i know i dident spell that correct)

I'm curious, when you guys say "rasp" - what song from any of the studio albums is a good example of it? I'm guessing the way Axl sings November Rain?

-Jordan

i will say the MTV music awards 88' Welcome to the jungle is a good "rasp" ecsample(i know i dident spell that correct)

Yep this is the exact performance i would say that you hear the rasp at his peak

From the crappy boots weve got...I can hear the rasp....

wait til' we get quality stuff...

J.Walker

Yeah, in nightrain u can hear it pretty clearly, some parts in I.R.S(much more raspy than the demo) and in the end of T.W.A.T..

Hes voice seems much more powerful in the low sections now then compared to 2002. Even compared to the 90´s I think..

Actually, I think this is one of his best live performances EVER..! :blink:

IMO, the rhasp was the best in Out ta Get Me. When he was screaming the rhasp sounded beautiful - like it did back in the nineties. The one change was that in the nineties it seemed like he used the rhasp too much and it kind of ruined the song. Now he uses just the right amount

Good to hear guys, good to hear!

I'm curious though, if it really is back.....why? I mean I'm exstatic about it obviously, I'm just curious why he would all of a sudden start using it again. Anyone think maybe he read our comments? :) Maybe someone close to him got the balls to tell it to him straight: that helium is a dangerous drug that should not be used under any circumstance :P.

And I agree sometimes on the UYI tour he was TOO raspy at some points (like in areas of SCOM), but it was better than the total opposite alternative of the 2002 tour with none.

Here's an example of some crazy ass RASP btw. More so than I expect him to employ nowadays because its sort of insane and must hurt his throat like a mofo, but I've just always wanted to post this movie 'cause its so crazy:

Perfect Crime featuring RASP!

Edited by Ant

Good to hear guys, good to hear!

I'm curious though, if it really is back.....why? I mean I'm exstatic about it obviously, I'm just curious why he would all of a sudden start using it again. Anyone think maybe he read our comments? :) Maybe someone close to him got the balls to tell it to him straight: that helium is a dangerous drug that should not be used under any circumstance :P.

And I agree sometimes on the UYI tour he was TOO raspy at some points (like in areas of SCOM), but it was better than the total opposite alternative of the 2002 tour with none.

Here's an example of some crazy ass RASP btw. More so than I expect him to employ nowadays because its sort of insane and must hurt his throat like a mofo, but I've just always wanted to post this movie 'cause its so crazy:

Perfect Crime featuring RASP!

If you look back at some 2002 performances and then look at May 12th, Axl just seems much more comfortable lately, whether he's been in the public eye, or when he just shows the overwhelming emotion that he used to in the late 80s, early 90s. He seems much more relaxed, but that's just what I view. When you're comfortable, you're able to do things a lot better as opposed to when you're in discomfort, or feel rushed.