Oasis HAVE RIPPED OFF NEARLY EVERY SONG!

keenly

Stuff Oasis "borrowed"…

The T Rex thing is a perfect example. That riff is (when T Rex played it) a slowed down Chuck Berry guitar riff, right out of "Little Queenie," which Bolan quotes right before the fade-out ("meanwhile, I'm still thinkin'…")

1st "Street Fighting Man" lift — "The Hindu Times." Yes, I KNOW that slinky guitar line is from Stereophonics (with perhaps a little nod to ABBA's "Does Your Mother Know"), but that whole songs sounds like "Street Fighting Man" to me — the blend of acoustic/electric guitars; the beat; the big, ringing "B" chord (I think). It's "Street Fighting Man." Even the simple "boom boom boom" drum fills are similar.

"Shakermaker" — obviously. Was it the Searchers who did this before it was a Coke commercial?

And has anyone ever played Slade's "Take Me Back 'Ome" and "Some Might Say" back to back?

The riff from "Morning Glory" sounds a bit like REM's "The One I Love."

We could just go on and on…

I think I've said this somewhere on this forum before, but if you think Oasis is the only one that "borrows" to huge commercial success, try playing (for example) the Kinks' "Picture Book" and Greenday's "Warning" back-to-back. That's just one example. (and I'm not slamming Greenday, by the way)

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged

chocolate st*rfish

Global Moderator

You'll Never Get This Song Out Of Your Head

« Reply #4 on Sept 6, 2005, 10:59am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stealography (note: some of the hints are more than vague!)

Definitely Maybe

Shakermaker - Equal parts 'Flying' by The Beatles and the 1971 hit by The New Seekers.

'I'd like to Teach the World to Sing' (or better known as a Coke commercial).

Up In the Sky -- Similar melody to 'Rain' by the Beatles.

Columbia -- R.E.M's 'Finest Workshop' in the verse and a slight hint of Status Quo

'Rocking All over the World'.

Supersonic -- Some say the guitar chord sequence is the same as The Smiths 'How Soon is now'.

The Solo is the same as the solo on "My sweet lord", from George Harrison

(which, on it's time, was also sued by someone else alledging that it was a ripoff.)

(mentioned before) Cigarettes & Alcohol -- 'Get it On' by T-Rex. 'This Song' by George Harrison: similar beginning

Slide Away -- Titled pinched from a song off the first Verve album (A Song in the Heaven).

Also been compared to 'Cortez the Killer' by Neil Young.

Married with Children - Apparently, the chords are the same as 'Lithium' by Nirvana.

Sad Song - Title taken from The Beatles, 'Hey Jude' (*Sonic's note* although The Beatles didn't

coin the phrase Sad Song...)

Whatever -- Neil Innes: How Sweet To Be An Idiot. Beatles: Day In The Life & All You Need Is Love (cello lines)

Monty Python: The Idiot Song. David Bowie/Mott The Hopple: All The Young Dudes.

(What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Hello -- Gary Glitter 'Hello Hello I'm back again' and obviously the guitar intro is 'Wonderwall'.

Also musical similarity to 'Medicine Jar' by the Wings.

Wonderwall -- The title taken from George Harrison. 'Homesick' by The Cure (similar piano part)

Don't Look Back in Anger -- Piano intro is 'Imagine' by John Lennon. In the end of the song

there's a guitar doing the melody line for David Bowie's 'All The Young Dudes'.

Here's a Noel quote on people's reactions to Oasis using that piano bit on the song:

Quote:

"I suppose 50% of that (stealing from the Beatles) is in there to wind people up and the other

50% of it is saying look, this is how songs like 'Don't Look Back in Anger' come about is because

of songs like 'Imagine'. It's also for the 15 year old who's never heard Imagine and he might go

Imagine? I've never heard of that and he might go out and buy the album."

Hey Now -- Stone Roses, 'I wanna be adored'

Swamp Song - Canned Heat's 'On the Road Again'.

Some Might Say -- 'Ohh La La' by the Small Faces. chords similar to "Cigarettes & alcohol"

She's Electric -- Refrain is taken from British TV program 'You and Me'. The vocal harmony on

the end echoes from The Beatles' 'With a Little Help from My Friends'

Morning Glory -- the same chords as R.E.M's 'The One I love', beginning similar to "Soul To Squeeze" from RHCP

Champagne Supernova -- similar guitar solo as 'Bring It On Home' by Led Zeppelin

Be Here Now

D'You Know What I Mean? -- Oasis rips themselves off on this one using the same chords as

'Wonderwall'.

Magic Pie -- 'Cry Baby Cry' by The Beatles

Stand By Me -- Chorus melody is Mott the Hopple's (Bowie) 'All the Young Dudes'

The Girl In The Dirty Shirt -- 'Cry Baby Cry' by The Beatles. 'Heart Of Stone' by Neil YOung (similar intro)

Don't Go Away -- similar intro as in 'One' by U2.

All Around the World -- The ending is similiar to The Beatles' 'Hey Jude'

The Masterplan

Acquiesce -- same vocal meldody as in the verses of 'I Only Want To Be With You' by Dusty Springfield.

Underneath The Sky -- Blondie: Call Me - The Kinks: ...Street

Talk Tonight -- Nirvana: 'On a Plain' inspired lyrics 'Sleeping on a plane, you know you can't complain/

I'm on a plain, I can't complain'.

Going Nowhere -- 'Comfortably Numb' by Pink Floyd has the same pre-chorus (bridge) melody.

Fade Away -- 'Pretty Vacant' by the Sex Pistols. Wham: 'Freedom'- Part of the melody is the same

Half the World Away -- The chords are the same as 'This Guys in Love with You' by Burt Bacharach,

only Noel plays them backwards.

Headshrinker -- The Small Faces 'Stay With Me' !!

The Masterplan -- Taurus: 'Spirit' (note Led Zeppelins Stairway To Heaven was based on this song)

SOTSOG

Fuckin In The Bushes -- 'Little Miss Lover' by Jimi Hendrix: drum intro is direct borrow. 'The Knock On Effect'

by U.N.K.L.E. (note: Noel plays lead guitar on this song)

Go Let it Out -- similar mellotron on 'Strawberry Fields Forever' The Beatles.

'Book of Rules' by Bob Weir & The Midnites: a blatant lift of the lyrics

'Walk On Gilded Splinters' by Duane Allman & Johnny Jenkins: Jenkins is co-credited

Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is -- The Doors, 'Roadhouse Blues'

(both the resemblance in lyrics, vocal line and music)

Little James -- vocal melody similar to 'More Than Us' by Travis

Gas Panic ! -- 'When The Levee Breaks' - Led Zeppelin: Noel said this has a heavy Led Zeppelin feel to it

'Sunflower' - Paul Weller: chorus melody is similar. 'Pictures Of Lily' - The Who: music is uncannily similar

Where Did It All Go Wrong? -- 'Sunflower' by Paul Weller

Roll It Over -- 'Live And Let Die' - Paul McCartney: pre-chorus melody is similar

Heathen Chemistry

The Hindu Times -- Guitar from 'Same Size Feet' by Stereophonics.

Does Your Mother Know - ABBA: similar guitar riff at the beginning.

Force of Nature -- 'Nightclubbing' by Iggy Pop is used in the opening.

Hung In A Bad Place -- 'No Fun' - Iggy Pop & The Stooges: main riffs are very similar

Songbird (Demo) -- 'I Should Have Known Better' - The Beatles: harmonica is uncannily similar

Little By Little -- Ending is similiar from the Oasis song 'Champagne Supernova'.

(Probably) All In The Mind -- 'Rain' - The Beatles: heavily based on this Beatles classic

'Waterfall' - The Stone Roses: bass lines are similar

Born on a Different Cloud -- Borrows from 'Working Class Hero' by John Lennon and has similiar

structure to The Beatles' 'Happiness is a Warm Gun'.

'Drive' - REM: similar guitar fills on the outro

Better Man -- Opening is similar to 'Cold Turkey' by John Lennon. 'It's So Hard' -

John Lennon: guitar intro is similar. 'Don't Want To Be A Soldier Mama' - John Lennon: music and chorus

uncannily alike. 'Love Spreads' - The Stone Roses: music is similar

The Cage -- Black Sabbath - 'War Pigs': similar music

Don't Believe The Truth

Turn Up The Sun -- intro from the movie Midnight Cowboy

Mucky Fingers -- "Waiting For My Man" by Velvet Underground.

Lyla -- vocal melody from "Street Fightin Man" by the Rolling Stones.

Guess God Thinks I'm Abel -- Verse melody stolen from "I Wanna Be Your Man" written by Lennon/McCartney.

The Meaning Of Soul -- shares vocals with Rolling Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

Part Of The Queue -- "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers.

A Bell Will Ring -- similar drum pattern as in "Tomorrow Never Knows" by The Beatles.

other & b-sides

Alive -- Guitar solo is said to be the same as 'Girl Afraid' by The Smiths.

(As Long As They've Got) Cigarettes In Hell -- 'Dear Prudence' - The Beatles: similar guitar solos

Cloudburst -- 'Standing Here' by The Stone Roses. 'You Sexy Thing' - Hot Chocolate:

riff is uncannily similar to the outro of the demo version

Round Are Way -- this song is said to bear resemblance to 'Lazy Sunday' by The Small Faces. I've

also read that it's been compared to Solomon Burkes 'Everybody Needs Somebody to Love'.

Step Out - 'Uptight' by Stevie Wonder, the chorus is exactly the same, even the "Alright!" at

the end of the line is repeated and 'Rosalee' by Thin Lizzy (Bob Seger), one of the members of

Thin Lizzy is also credited.

Take Me Away -- Man On The Moon - REM: outro is uncannily similar

Purple Parallelogram - Evan Dando -- 'Take It Easy' - The Eagles: Noel co-wrote this song; chorus is similar

Setting Sun - The Chemical Brothers -- Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles: based around on this song;

thus working title 'Tomorrow Never Noels'.

Scorpio Rising - Death In Vegas -- 'Pictures Of Matchstick Men' - Status Quo: based around on this song;

Status Quo is co-credited.

i FOUND THIS THEN CHECKED EVERY SONG! I downloaded all the songs, put them on windows media player and compared the original to oasis. As a huge oasis fan i have to say i'm very dissapointed how unoriginal they are. i know everyone takes inspiration and ideas from certain songs BUT GOD DAMN THIS IS OBSURD. Nearly every song on every album takes something from someone else! They are worse than Zeppelin.

Doesn't surprise me. Some bands do it intentionally, but other times its coincidence. Rock has been around 50 years, and there are only so many riffs and chord progressions possible, so it's gonna happen. Hell the Chili Peppers ripped Dani California from Tom Petty's Mary Jane's Last Dance, and those are both fairly well known songs, but I doubt RHCP needed to steal a Petty riff to have another hit.

Doesn't surprise me. Some bands do it intentionally, but other times its coincidence. Rock has been around 50 years, and there are only so many riffs and chord progressions possible, so it's gonna happen. Hell the Chili Peppers ripped Dani California from Tom Petty's Mary Jane's Last Dance, and those are both fairly well known songs, but I doubt RHCP needed to steal a Petty riff to have another hit.

Yeah but RHCP's rip-off seemed so intentional: Same chord sequence, nearly same chorus, and same subject (a girl who lives in some southern state in america).

Yeah but RHCP's rip-off seemed so intentional: Same chord sequence, nearly same chorus, and same subject (a girl who lives in some southern state in america).

Actually no, Frusciante said in an interview that they intentionally ripped a little off Sweet Home Alabama, and you can hear that deffo.

Actually no, Frusciante said in an interview that they intentionally ripped a little off Sweet Home Alabama, and you can hear that deffo.

Weird. I can't picture John rockin out to Sweet Home Alabama, but now that I think about it, there is a similarity.

Erm, it's quite common knowledge that Oasis have ripped off a bunch of songs. They've admitted to doing it- I remember seeing this documentary of Noel saying they lifted a T-Rex riff but they didn't give a fuck.

They still make good music though.

This is so lame... You can make a list like that for any band. It's not like we have 1 million uniqe songs out there.

Agreed. This list is nothing more than a compilation of vague similarities. There's every possibility that Noel and Liam haven't even heard half the songs on there. :rolleyes:

i don't like them but i don't really condem them for this

alot of bands have intentionally/unintentionally ripped off songs

sure even nirvana were a band started to be a punk rip-off of the pixies and kurt even admitted that he always ripped off their songs but nobody says anything about it cause they rawked rock3