BEHIND THE CURTAIN WITH GN'R Discussion Thread

Vadin

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why write an article on the internet if he's telling us to disconnect from it?

Del James is a complete douche-bag for typing that.

The real fans are at the show. Ha!

I guess GNR never had any real fans during all those years of waiting.

These boards are turning into a big fucking joke. All these so-called "fans" bitching about every little goddamn thing. You all are so pathetic and have no lives obviously. When GN'R aren't doing shit everyone is complaining that nothing is happening, what the fuck is going on, and all that shit. Now that they are doing something and the record is finally going to come out, nothings ever good enough. I dont know how all you people think that you are owed something and that this band is supposed to be doing stuff specifically for you. Axl has said from the beginning that he does this for himself, first and for most. How do you guys even call yourselves fans when all you do is say nothing is good enough. I dont see fans of any other bands complaining about everything from their look, to setlist, and to what guitar band members use onstage. Its absolutely ridiculous some of the things I read on these message boards. And frankly I'm sick of it, the only reason I am still around is to find out about whats going on with the band. I'm at the point where I only read news cause I cannot take all the bullshit that these so-called fans are spewing on these message boards as of late. There is no pleasing any of you. I dont know, maybe you people should find a new favorite band or something cause obviously this band aint pleasing you. I dont know, I hear Velvet Revolver's pretty good, maybe you should go hang out on their message boards. Axl isnt holding a gun to your head telling you to be here, and from what has come to light these last few days, it seems as though he is sick of you so-called fans himself. So why dont you just leave, cause you are ruining the enjoyment for people who actually respect and actually care that this band is touring. We of all fans should know not to take anything for granted because we know that Axl can pull the plug on this whole thing at anytime just like he did in 2002.

Go think long and hard. See if this band really is for you, because with most of the shit I have read these last couple of months it doesnt seem like it. Maybe you should find another band you can follow religiously, because this one aint working out for you people. While you do that, I'll be here rocking out to Guns N' Roses' tour and to Chinese Democracy when its finally in my cd player. So, fuck all you posers and I'm out.

Edited by ChineseIRS

I wonder if it was hard for Del James to write that while kissing Axl's ass at the same time.

Wow, this has been said before so I'll just repeat. This whole "Guns N' Roses family" thing has turned into one giant group of yes men. Axl signs their paychecks and in return takes all of their independent thoughts and opinions. And now Del James, on payroll mind you, is writing an article about "how things really are."

And with regards to Slash and Duff... what "vision" of GNR was never theirs??!!! It must have been the whole 13 years of silence since TSI. Maybe Axl is trying to wait until all the old fans die off and start fresh in 2087.

And last I checked, that last Guns album featured both of them. So what is he saying? That the overall vision of Guns N' Roses is "Oh My God"?! That's just great.

Del James has turned into such a yes man that if Slash running GNR and Axl were out, he'd write something bashing Axl. Anything to get paid.

And then he goes on talking about how rock n' roll is an all nite party that's rebellious and non-conformist, then in the next paragraph he's talking about yoga, chiropractic adjustments and massage therapy?!! Rock n' roll forever baby!

This whole thing is just getting sadder and more discouraging.

dude, are you serious? i really can't understand how you could form such an opinion...

Wow, this has been said before so I'll just repeat. This whole "Guns N' Roses family" thing has turned into one giant group of yes men. Axl signs their paychecks and in return takes all of their independent thoughts and opinions.

Can you really imagine someone like Del James, or anyone else closely related to the band, publishing "free thoughts" that criticize GN'R? I mean, honestly, what do you think they would say? Of course they are obviously going to play up the band- people tend to play up most things they enjoy and are passionate about...

Del James has turned into such a yes man that if Slash running GNR and Axl were out, he'd write something bashing Axl. Anything to get paid.

I mean... just... ????

That's my point, Del James can't publish "free thoughts" on the band because he's on the payroll. That's fine, but it takes away his credibility. It can only be one or the other. My problem is that an objective reporter with no connections or loyalties would never be allowed the inside access Del James has. Why? Because god forbid, his thoughts or opinions might upset Axl.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not believe that Axl is motivated by money. Axl could have sold out many times over but has refused. But I do believe is that everyone around him, his band, his camp, his whole GNR "family" IS motivated by money and will do whatever it takes, be it walking on eggshells, playing AFD repeatedly, or just being flat out yes men, to keep this money train rolling. And that's the problem. The artistic tension and compromise in normal bands is what harbors creativity.

Del James' article was a sanitized, calculated PR move that I can all but guarantee was proofread and edited by more people than just him. Rock n' roll indeed.

About the internet bitching, I think he has a point but he was way rude in the way he put it.. maybe that's why the article is now gone on the website..

I mean, there's obsessed people here that whine and bitch, hell yes, but he can't diss the entire online fandom just like that, the real fans are the ones that go to the shows? I mean sure, we know better than that.. those are casual fans that in most cases don't even know the names of the bandmembers and think Slash is still in the band.. :rolleyes: so yeah, those guys won't complain and overanalyze everything but because they don't give a damn about the band as it is currently.. they just go to listen to the classics like SCOM and NR.. the real hard core fans believe it or not, are all online.. the good, the bad and the ugly all represented, but everyone here cares about this band more than the majority out there saddly enough..

anyway, cool tidbits about backstage life and details about the album, etc

what shocked me the most is that they wanted Buckethead back.. some people here said it could have been that way and now we know for sure it's true.. what makes me go :o

Edited by angel of music

I wonder if it was hard for Del James to write that while kissing Axl's ass at the same time.

Wow, this has been said before so I'll just repeat. This whole "Guns N' Roses family" thing has turned into one giant group of yes men. Axl signs their paychecks and in return takes all of their independent thoughts and opinions. And now Del James, on payroll mind you, is writing an article about "how things really are."

And with regards to Slash and Duff... what "vision" of GNR was never theirs??!!! It must have been the whole 13 years of silence since TSI. Maybe Axl is trying to wait until all the old fans die off and start fresh in 2087.

And last I checked, that last Guns album featured both of them. So what is he saying? That the overall vision of Guns N' Roses is "Oh My God"?! That's just great.

And then he goes on talking about how rock n' roll is an all nite party that's rebellious and non-conformist, then in the next paragraph he's talking about yoga, chiropractic adjustments and massage therapy?!! Rock n' roll forever baby!

No kidding. You said a mouthful there. I don't even want Slash and Duff to reunite with Axl anymore because Axl is the furthest away from what GN'R used to be than any of them.

Oh and Del, I suppose the only thing that would give us Internet fans a right to complain would be to attend every show. Well sorry, I can't fucking spend a fortune flying around North America to watch GN'R. Not possible. But what makes you think we don't go to shows? Flawed thinking right there pal. I'll be at the Nov 15th show, plus I spent $700 to see them in NY on May 14th. I hope that's good enough for ya. That and a little thing called the First Amendment. Ask yourself how rock and roll would it be for us to just fall in line and not question anything? Funny thing is this whole environment of complaining and questioning is a direct result of how the band operates. Ironic, isn't it? It's just like Guns to blame it's problems on others - Slash, Duff, and Internet fans.

Honestly, I could take the years of silence and Axl showing up late to shows and riots and the whole nine yards. I even defended him for all that and still would. But dumping on your most hardcore fans is a joke. Why not just explain the logic used to determine the setlist each night and when they expect to add new songs, rather than putting us down? That would go over better. Whatever. Can't wait till this album is finally out and the bullshit comes to an end.

About the internet bitching, I think he has a point but he was way rude in the way he put it.. maybe that's why the article is now gone on the website..

I mean, there's obsessed people here that whine and bitch, hell yes, but he can't diss the entire online fandom just like that, the real fans are the ones that go to the shows? I mean sure, we know better than that.. those are casual fans that in most cases don't even know the names of the bandmembers and think Slash is still in the band.. :rolleyes: so yeah, those guys won't complain and overanalyze everything but because they don't give a damn about the band as it is currently.. they just go to listen to the classics like SCOM and NR.. the real hard core fans believe it or not, are all online.. the good, the bad and the ugly all represented, but everyone here cares about this band more than the majority out there saddly enough..

Great, great point. Guess if you're going to abuse a fan it should be one of the hardcore variety. They know we will always come back for more. And yeah, aside from a few passages Del wrote a nice insightful piece. It's only fair I give him some credit. One thing puzzled me though:

When it was apparent that Bucket would not be re-joining, the band had to move forward. Joe Satriani is how the Guns camp first heard of Bumblefoot. GN'R's Pro Tools engineer "French" Eric Cadieux has worked a lot with Satriani and Satch recommended Bumble to French Eric. One thing lead to another and prior to the band's four-night stint at the Hammerstein Ballroom back in May, Bumblefoot was part of the fold.

This passage is a bit ambiguous since no dates are mentioned as to when Eric told GN'R about Bumblefoot - but to me Del makes it sound like it just happened this year. Truth be told, they had auditioned him back in 2004. It was something that got lots of attention on GN'R forums. Thal had been known to GN'R for a long time prior to 2006.

Edited by KBear

No kidding. You said a mouthful there. I don't even want Slash and Duff to reunite with Axl anymore because Axl is the furthest away from what GN'R used to be than any of them.

Oh and Del, I suppose the only thing that would give us Internet fans a right to complain would be to attend every show. Well sorry, I can't fucking spend a fortune flying around North America to watch GN'R. Not possible. But what makes you think we don't go to shows? Flawed thinking right there pal. I'll be at the Nov 15th show, plus I spent $700 to see them in NY on May 14th. I hope that's good enough for ya. That and a little thing called the First Amendment. Ask yourself how rock and roll would it be for us to just fall in line and not question anything? Funny thing is this whole environment of complaining and questioning is a direct result of how the band operates. Ironic, isn't it? It's just like Guns to blame it's problems on others - Slash, Duff, and Internet fans.

Honestly, I could take the years of silence and Axl showing up late to shows and riots and the whole nine yards. I even defended him for all that and still would. But dumping on your most hardcore fans is a joke. Why not just explain the logic used to determine the setlist each night and when they expect to add new songs, rather than putting us down? That would go over better. Whatever. Can't wait till this album is finally out and the bullshit comes to an end.

Right on. Del James is just another sycophant in a long line that Axl likes to surround himself with so that he can shield himself from criticism (reality).

That potshot Del took at Slash and Duff is a real gem. :rolleyes:

Well, it' nice to get some (any!) insight on this band.

The part about Axl wanting Buckethead to re-join was very interesting. Proves that it was indeed Bucket's decision to leave, and not Axl's.

The comments about Slash/Duff, setlist/new material are pretty embarrassing, but I'd expect nothing else from someone on Axl's payroll.

Still, a good read. Lets hope some of those news songs are added soon.

This guys a joke haha.

Why does the GN'R camp always have to take immature little stabs at Slash and co?

Duff, Slash, Matt, they've never said anything but positive things regarding Axl. The only thing they have ever vocally stated they had a problem with is Axl using the GN'R name and they have the right to. They helped creat that legacy just as much as Axl and they have a right to be pissed. And even so, they hardly said anything about that.

Grow up nuGN'R.

Jesus Christ, that Del James is one big baby.

You know what's more pathetic than people like me making fun of Finck's beard? The fact that Del James, a part of the "Guns N' Roses" family, spends his free time reading it online and gets riled up enough that he has to Get-In-The-Ring Axl's fans about it.

Hey Del, Axl's money is your money. You get to tour with Guns N' Roses and pretend like you've had something to do with their success. Isn't that enough? If Matt Sorum could get laid off GnR, then I'm sure you stand a reasonably good chance of finding some poon to keep you distracted from the mygnrforum.

You know what would have been a cooler post? If Douchebag Del would have said something like, "Hey, all you loyal fans that have continued to support Axl and the new band mean a lot to us. That's why we want to let you know that we're trying extra hard to work some new songs into the set list from Chinese Democracy. Don't worry. It's on its way soon. In a few weeks, you're gonna be hearing some awesome new songs. And you guys at the live shows might be the first ones to hear 'em! Along with a few Use Your Illusion classics we've dusted off!"

Does anybody else think it's retarded that they issue this release slamming fans for bitching about the set list, while simultaneously boasting of the overhauled fan-friendly set list? It's like he's saying, "Guess what? We have a new set list. But fuck all those people who said we needed one. We're doing this 'cause it's how WE want to do it. Fuck you, losers." Even if that's the case, why rub it in? Why not just let your fans be happy?

Also, I think it's really amusing how Del goes out of his way to point out that this is a BAND(!). Oh, that's sweet... After many loser assholes like myself found it insulting that management refered to the band as "rock and roll all stars supporting Axl for the US tour" and "latest collection of rock and roll all stars" and (my personal favorite, Bumblefoot's) "the entity known as Guns n' Roses." We complained about how they didn't include much info about the new players on the site, no pictures, more shots of the crowd than the band in the videos, spelling the drummer's name incorrectly, etc... And what do you know? They throw up a bunch of pictures of the band, bios, and petulant retorts to their internet critics.

But you know what? I don't care. I'm just really happy to see the Guns N' Roses family finally listening to some of their loser asshole fans. Two great things happened today, if only for a few moments. We learned that Axl's caved to our pressure and has decided to play Chinese Democracy songs on the Chinese Democracy World Tour, and he's agreed to treat his band like a band. That's fucking great. It's about time. And I really do believe that the album is coming out this year. I know publicity's been... well... typical... but I think that might be beyond the band's budget at this point. All that matters is that the album comes out.

So to management and Del James, Axl's number one Butt Boy, thanks for listening to us losers. We're just happy to have Axl making music again.

Excellent post; Agreed.

Ha, Dead Flower took it out of my mouth but yeah, for all that has been said about Del James, I'd still like his articles to be a regular feature on the website. Minus the bullshit, it probably will be the only insight into the band. And maybe his perspective on things might make him sound like an ass, kissing ass, both, you can't say thats not to be expected.

But yeah, it looks like they are taking a notice of what the fans say on the internet.